silicone bar tape

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

Any comments on this bar of tape? It is heavy and pricey but there seem to be a lot of advvantages: sticky, damping, no water absorbtion, no glue, easy to reuse and wash. I am looking at the Fabric one in particular. I've seen a few users here in show the bike threads but no discussion on the tape.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Yes, i have never owned a tape that wears down so fast. 1 week it was rather much wear, 2 weaks and i took the tape off.
Fabric refused to warrant the tape. So in short, no more for me.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

ESI RCT is very nice feeling, easy to clean, easy to wrap...but very heavy. Th heaviest bar tape I’ve ever used.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 8:58 am
ESI RCT is very nice feeling, easy to clean, easy to wrap...but very heavy. Th heaviest bar tape I’ve ever used.
As is noted with the Fabric tape, I tried the ESI tape a few years back and was amazed at how quickly and thoroughly it would wear. I could wear it straight through to the bar on the tops near the hoods. Never see such an astonishing wear rate before or after in my 30 years of cycling.

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

I put the Fabric Silicone tape on my new bike about a month ago and have no discernible wear so far. Used it on my last bike too and didn't notice any wear over the course of a few months. Are you guys wrapping the tape under so much tension that it becomes super thin? Or wearing abrasive gloves? :shock:

siim

by siim

I had Fabric tape during last season. That's not much though - just below 3000 km. Anyway, I did not see any wear - seemed like new when I took it off to change bars. Because of weight I decided to change to Deda perforated tape. Fabric was nicer to hands for sure. Also better to wrap.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I didn’t have a wear issue with RCT. I do know some people who wear through spots on their tape quickly in general, regardless of brand/material.

PrimO

by PrimO

I'm using Fabric's knurl bar tape and find it excellent. Its quite similar to Zipp CX bar tape which i have previously used but the Fabirc tape seems to have the edge on it and wears better. Its also stronger and slightly more comfortable.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com