Skewers - How old before replacing?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Thanos

by Thanos

I have Carbon-Ti skewers (X lock special road Ti or the equivalent) that I've been using on my summer bike since 2011.

Finally replaced my Enve 45's tubs (bought at the same time) due to worn out hubs and the braking track getting thin.

It started me thinking about skewers...do they need to be replaced after a certain amount of time, especially Ti versions.

I haven't had any issues so far, but would prefer to err on the side of caution.

Thoughts and experiences please.

Cheers, Thanos.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Thanos on Sat May 18, 2019 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NiFTY

by NiFTY

The seat of the cam and its interface on the lever can wear down. But thats it. If they hold they are fine. How is the ti shaft gonna wear?
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

froze

by froze

Let's see, how old before replacing, well I have the same set of skewers that came with my Suntour Superbe hubs that are 25 years old with over 160,000 miles on them and they still work just fine. I have several bikes from the 80's and none of the skewers have failed but those don't have quite as many miles as the one I mentioned has. So I don't think it's an issue at all, it's design on a cam system so there's very little to wear out. Even if water gets to the spring and the spring rusts and breaks you can get those springs anywhere for cheap, that's never happened to me just saying the only fail point that I can see is the springs. I've never used TI but I have heard that TI skewers are not idea to use to begin with because they don't hold as well.