Shimano CM-CB90 barrel adjuster and direct mount brake

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

San Marco

by San Marco

I’m guessing it’s been asked before but I’m unable to find a definitive answer regarding the removal and running without the CM-CB90 barrel adjuster/quick release with the rear underneath chain stay brake.

I’ve had the newer Scott Foil since 2016 and one thing that has always bugged me is the above mentioned barrel adjuster, mine currently positioned leaving the handlebars and before entering the down tube. I’ve never used it for either tension adjustment of the cable or in the need to remove the back brake.

My obvious question then is, do I actually need it for the use of the direct mount rear chain stay (underneath) brake on the Foil or similar bikes?

Has anyone on here running a set up without the adjuster?

addictR1

by addictR1

I had one on my TMR02, but after I stripped off the 105 group and installed my red, I didn’t bother putting it back on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerdan

by bikerdan

I had the same with my Look 695. I changed it so it is where the brake cable comes out of the down tube before the bottom bracket. Keeps it out of the way but I also never seem to use it

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

San Marco

by San Marco

I agree all my wheels go in and out easy without touching the release and I've never felt the need to adjust the cable tension in regard to feel etc.

I'm trying to spot whether Michelton Scott bother with them on their rim braked Foils.

If it wasn't such a faff cabling bikes these days I'd just give it a try.

San Marco

by San Marco

Here's a conclusion.

I've done a lovely job re cabling the Foil without the Shimano QR barrell adjuster. Imo the barrell adjuster is needed should you want to close the calipers 'in' as the pads wear down, if you keep pretty full pads and don't let them run down too much you'll have little too worry about. As for taking the back wheel in and out, I never used the quick release before for this operation and have no issues getting the wheel in and out now as the direct mount calipers provide ample clearance.

So taking the adjuster off, threading the new outer brake cables along with the Di2 cable through a piece of 6.4mm Black Heat Shrink Tube has completely tidied the front end up.

Thanks to those who provided some feedback.

bikerdan

by bikerdan

Sounds good. Be interested to hear how you get on with it.

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com