Di2 9070 RD "living dead"

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mrlobber

by mrlobber

A Di2 9070 RD. One of many which have passed through my hands, but finally it seems I have a problem.
Crashed last year, didn't rebuild another bike with it until recently.
Worked fine for a couple of rides.
Today, some kms from home, it suddenly shifts into the smallest cog and stays there.
If I want it to downshift, I hear the motor in the RD working continuously until I press the upshift button (the the motor stops working), but the derailleur body doesn't move.

If I dowshift and simultaneously move the body by hand, it moves to the cog I push it to, and stays there. Now pressing the upshift button, it shifts straight to the smallest cog again.

The same happens if switching to RD micro adjustment mode - trying to adjust it inwards, I can hear the motor roaring, but nothing happens.
The behaviour of the RD kinda resembles crash mode, but only "one sided" - as if the motor is somehow disconnected from moving to one side (inboard), but not the other (outboard). In any case, trying to "exit crash mode" (if the RD happened to enter it) doesn't do anything.
SME-PC1 check says "the RD may be faulty" (but upgraded its firmware just fine)

Any ideas? Is it toast?
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

alcatraz

by alcatraz

A friend had exactly the same problem, but it was slightly more annoying because the derailleur decided to stop working 2 months after a crash.

Shimano has generous di2 support but in our case the bike was bought 2nd hand so no go. We ended up sending it to this repair guy and he swapped the motor out. Worked perfectly ever since. (3 months now) Special care needs to be taken to seal the motor compartment.

We paid 80usd to fix it. (China)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

Not much to offer as you proabably already know that the rear derailleur will also exhibit that behaviior if the battery is below 7% charge or the system 'senses' a battery fault.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Typical fried potentiometer. Either complete servo swap as mention above or new RD.

It’s enough to bend the parallelogram links or the complex link mechanism between servo and parallelogram to fry the pot.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Thanks, clear. :thumbup:

Anyone knows if the servo are identical between 9070/6870 series?
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike