DIY RD alignment tool?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Catagory6

by Catagory6

are the threads a standard size, that i could get a bolt from a hardware store?

PeytonM

by PeytonM

The threads are metric fine M10 x1.0, not common but readily available on eBay...

by Weenie

AJS914

by AJS914

An old rear wheel with a threaded axel makes the perfec DIY tool. Undo the derailleur and let it hang to the side. Screw the end of the axel into the hanger. Measure all the way around with a tape measure. The distance betwen both wheels should be equal all the way around.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Are you trying to bend your RD or hanger into position or just get the jockey wheels and cogs lined up? If the later, putting the RD in a middle cog, lining up your eye with that cog from the rear, and lining up the top jockey wheel (shift back forth, repeat) is a lot easier than using a tool. Tune has a laser one, but that's silly - you're really checking the squareness of the laser rig more than you are the RD.

tommasini

by tommasini

Here is a link to my earlier thread about accidently coming across a tool that was being sold as an alignment "muscle" tool only but by having the seller lengthen the handle it servces also to get measurements off the rim. Works excellent

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=148242&p=1356453&hi ... l#p1356453

kdawg

by kdawg

AJS914 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 2:30 pm
An old rear wheel with a threaded axel makes the perfec DIY tool. Undo the derailleur and let it hang to the side. Screw the end of the axel into the hanger. Measure all the way around with a tape measure. The distance betwen both wheels should be equal all the way around.
That’s exactly what I do - accurate and easy to adjust because of the diameter of the wheel.
I'm left handed, if that matters.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Another rear wheel user here +1

I also use the same rear wheel on the trainer.

by Weenie