What's the best number of days to cycle in a row

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

magma004

by magma004

I have just been thinking about what is the optimal amount of days to cycle in a row. What would you say is the optimum number, and how many days is too many?

Do you think its it better to do a short slow ride over a rest day.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cerro

by cerro

365 days/year I would say. Why less? Cycling is so fun :D

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

For the married folks, I would take off my Aniversary, Mothers Day, and her birthday. Maybe a half day on Christmas but the kids are gone already.

AJS914

by AJS914

I assume that Magma is talking about for training/recovery. There is no good answer because it depends entirely on how hard and long you are going on those days and how fit you are to begin with.

That said, training plans often include 5 or 6 days on the bike. As well, there are probably an easy day or two in there so really it boils down to 1 super hard interval day, 1 or 2 long endurance rides, 1 or 2 other days (maybe more endurance or some threshold or sweet spot) and then 1 or 2 easy "recovery" days. The mix all depends on where you are in your fitness and season and what events are on the horizon.

Within that context you might want to string some days together so by the 3rd or 4th day in a now until you are utterly exhausted. Then you rest and fully recover. It's like a mini training camp. The idea is get your body to super compensate from the training stress.
Personally, I think it's good to take one or two days off per week but I sometimes do short/slow rides just because I want the stress relief of riding my bike.
Last edited by AJS914 on Thu May 16, 2019 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

You can ride everyday if you like, it won't harm you. Just lower the stress score to almost nothing for on the bike rest. I don't have a car so commute everywhere. The pros do a rest day by cycling 30 minutes to a coffee shop and then riding home.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Every day

magma004

by magma004

Thanks for all the answers!

CarolynDenton

by CarolynDenton

For me, the best option is to ride 3 days a week. For example, Mo-We-Fr/Sa. It gives just enough time to recover and cycling doesn't become to much pain ;)
Looking for new contributors for Canada-Writers sports section. Details in PM.

PrimO

by PrimO

My fitness usually drops over winter so every May for the last number of years, I cycle every day. Most rides during the week are around 30km with maybe one longer 50km ride midweek and then at weekends I'll do 70-100km cycles. None of them are full effort cycles and so i dont need to take rest days. By the time June comes my fitness is pretty good and I can push harder efforts and longer rides but would only cycle 3 to 4 times a week.

kode54

by kode54

:beerchug:
cerro wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 8:37 pm
365 days/year I would say. Why less? Cycling is so fun :D
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Kazyole

by Kazyole

I mean as much as you want. There's no real upper limit. Just make sure you're still enjoying yourself and taking rest where you need it. Even if that means taking a "rest day" on the bike. It's perfectly possible to ride 365days/year and I know guys who do it, but they're not out there hammering every day of that.

Personally I try to make sure I get 3-4 days a week on average.

3Pio

by 3Pio

magma004 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 8:32 pm
I have just been thinking about what is the optimal amount of days to cycle in a row. What would you say is the optimum number, and how many days is too many?

I got overtrained few times from riding hard effort every day, so now im counting TSS per week not how many days in row i ride.. So i would say depend of the rides... Find what feel like enjoying and improving based on TSS and plan ur rides based on that...

Regarding rest days, i feel better if do slow pace short ride versus not riding at all....

froze

by froze

It depends on your age really. If you're under 45 you can get away with cycling 6 days out of the week leaving one to rest, but even with those all those 6 days should not be all hard training, you have to a have couple of easy days. If you're older you will need to add a day somewhere in the middle, and if you're above 60 they say it's best to cycle every other day to give time for the older person to recover.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

I usually do something everyday...usually Mondays are an "active recovery" day, but those easily go sideways sometimes...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

As I get older I find I need to ride more. Not just because the house is full of children, but my body seems to respond better to it, and to struggle to get back fully comfortable after days off. As others have said though, a few rides per week certainly qualify as rest days with TSS<50.