Weight weenie choices that went too far?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hannawald

by hannawald

I got rid of almost all of my weightweenie choices:)
What works:
- Speedplay with titanium spindles
- Wert Stick Shift Skewers

What I replaced:
Deda Traforato bar tape - ok, but 70g bar tape increased comfort and look
Mcfk stem - ugly if you need spacers under the stem
Darimo T1 seatpost - this type of clamp doesn't look that well, needed to retighten the clamp after each ride, Deda seatpost increased comfort
Berk saddle - changing to Prologo Dimension changed comfort (road buzz filtration) and better for my ass
Carbonworks bottle cages - unfortunately I cracked it while unintentionally leaned against it while unmounting cranks..

C36

by C36

#1 Fiberlyte: got a pair of chainrings from a friend who told me they had problems, I lost few pins, damaged a tooth, got the replaced, lost pins, reinstalled SS ones riveted (custom made), had more problems... gave them free to a friend

#2 carbon cassette (ferberlyte??) was supposed to be a test and tear off a tooth at the second acceleration (that was 15 yrs ago)

#3 J&L ti quick release, light 38g, but unsafe with the springs (they prevent the surfaces to properly make contact with the dropouts) and a pain in the butt to tight: must tight them hard and then only activate the cam.
Now I never got any wheel movement even at a test @1000w.

#4 ultralight tires, feel great but just too short lifespan to make sense.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

robertbb wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:39 am
Carbon fiber handlebars. Waste of money and time.
Couldn't agree less, I love carbon bars. They can have more complex shapes than alloy, they're lighter and they're warm to touch.

My worst recent purchase was a Fizik Mistica saddle for my TT bike. It absolutely murdered my crotch, after a ride I nearly screamed when I took a pee. Bad experience, that, and I never sat on that saddle again. I don't understand how anyone can be comfortable on one.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

beanbiken wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:13 am
Chain rings for me, went from Extralites to TA Specialties and then BOR's.....
How's those B.O.R shifting?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

kman

by kman

I'm 60kg and a club level racer. 15-20yrs ago I was WW anything and everything I could afford as a university student. Drilled and carved out my Chorus derailleurs plus bolt tuning to below Record weight etc...

Worst options included:
- KCNC brakes. Flexed, didn't move smoothly and swapped back to Chorus with single pivot rear.
- Drilled out my own derailleur pulleys. Looked ratty, collected dirt and grime. Swapped to new ones.
- Carbon Lord cranks. Cheap, light, flexy as hell. Upgraded to Chorus UT when they came out.
- AX Lightness Phoenix saddle. Super light, super expensive and super painful. Literally painful after 30-40km, no matter how much I tried to "get used to it". Sold it, lost heaps of money on it and bought a Tune Speedneedle Marathon which I still use on my main road bike to this day. Excellent saddle!
- DT Revolution spokes. Even for a little guy like me, too soft and stretchy in my opinion. Many better choices - but most of my wheels are prebuilt these days.

Many others I've just given up on or not bothered to fit on new builds since any decent carbon road bike is close enough to the 6.8kg mark now anyway. Two that I've always kept have been the Speedneedle saddle and my Keywin Ti pedals.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
-- Frank Zappa

Rudi

by Rudi

I had a 6g seatpost collar that did virtually nothing, then snapped.

Went back to a more normal one after that.
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

NickJHP

by NickJHP

Michael Rogers told me that when he was on the Mapei development squad about 20 years ago, the development team bikes used Record components, but the mechanics substituted in Chorus RDs instead, which had metal rather than CF parallelogram arms, as too many of the Record RDs were getting broken in crashes.

zefs

by zefs

Tune carbon bottlecages that were giving me trouble with Camelbak podiums.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Miller wrote:
My worst recent purchase was a Fizik Mistica saddle for my TT bike.
Unless it's a Dash saddle, it's hard for any other TT bike saddle to qualify as a ww item Image
zefs wrote:Tune carbon bottlecages that were giving me trouble with Camelbak podiums.
Obviously the problem lies with the camelback podiums Image

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

zefs wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:59 pm
Tune carbon bottlecages that were giving me trouble with Camelbak podiums.
My Tune cage has been great with a stock bottle, it sits tight and never fell off, even on bumpy descents.

morganb

by morganb

I switched to Specialized bottles for my Tune cages, they fit perfect and I haven't lost a bottle.

morganb

by morganb

I went to heavy duty skewers on all of my bikes. Had too much trouble with wheels slipping on lightweight Ti skewers. I even went to the DT RWS skewers for my crit bike.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Going pure WW, one is on the edge so it's bound to be something that fails.
There's still really really good stuff out there :D
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Speedplay to Dura Ace pedals. Best bike component swap ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MNX1024

by MNX1024

AICAN housing, used it for both brake and shifting. Did the installation myself, and tried 3 different mechanics... None could get it to work properly for shifting. The best scenario was to choose between having horrible shifting and chain rub on the lowest or highest 3 gears..... Brake was okay, but not the best. Dealt with it for a whole season, which prompt me to trash it and go electronic. Never looked back after that.

Power Cordz, it was great with shifting, but could never tie the not tight enough to make it work with the brakes.... Pain in the behind to install. Went back to regular cables.....

Both option was a complete waste of money and time.