Weight weenie choices that went too far?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I switched from Supersonic tubes to some 66g. tubes I found. They are not as fast but way more durable than the Supersonics. And way cheaper too. I wanted a lightweight tube more for a RR reduction than a weight reduction. I’m running them with 28mm GP5Ks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bilwit

by bilwit

BDop 11-28 Cassette (Steel)

Weighed just about the same as the 11-28 Dura Ace cassette it replaced, better design in terms of not notching the freehub like DA and although the shifting degredation was expected, it's noisy as all hell which is not forgiveable. Going back to Ultegra.. :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Methodical

by Methodical

Great thread. I will use you guys/gals experiences so that I don't make the same mistakes.
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

'20 Emonda SLR (Rage Red) - 6.27kg (6.04kg;no pedals)
'12 Madone (Black) - 6.96kg (6.73kg;no pedals)
Fujee Espree (Maroon) - 11.02kg

C36

by C36

bilwit wrote:BDop 11-28 Cassette (Steel)

Weighed just about the same as the 11-28 Dura Ace cassette it replaced, better design in terms of not notching the freehub like DA and although the shifting degredation was expected, it's noisy as all hell which is not forgiveable. Going back to Ultegra.. :noidea:
Noisy at the moment to change gears or noisy all the time? Was it installed with a new chain or did it have so wear ?
I was considering it to cut some weight on my climbing wellset

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

StanK

by StanK

bilwit wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:57 pm
BDop 11-28 Cassette (Steel)

I swapped Ultegra 11-28 with Bdop steel cassette. Yes, It's little bit noisier, but nothing major. And I'm pretty sensitive about undesirable sounds from the bike :) In my case shifting was the same. So, for me, after 1500km ... :thumbup:

And, yes, I replaced the chain at the same time.

bilwit

by bilwit

C36 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:39 pm
bilwit wrote:BDop 11-28 Cassette (Steel)

Noisy at the moment to change gears or noisy all the time? Was it installed with a new chain or did it have so wear ?
I was considering it to cut some weight on my climbing wellset
Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
StanK wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:44 pm
I swapped Ultegra 11-28 with Bdop steel cassette. Yes, It's little bit noisier, but nothing major. And I'm pretty sensitive about undesirable sounds from the bike :) In my case shifting was the same. So, for me, after 1500km ... :thumbup:

I installed it with a new KMC chain.. idk it's just absurdly audible when just normally pedalling through. When I swap to my other bike with the same gruppo and an Ultegra cassette it's dead silent and shifting is noticeably waaay smoother. I'm planning on swapping to Ultegra and using the BDop for special occasions.

dierckxsens

by dierckxsens

Bought a set of Tune mig/mag in the late 90, build with open pros and sapims, very light and nice set. However the amount of time and money I spend on bearings was totally ridiculous. It was sort of a blessing when the front hub flance finally broke.

StanK

by StanK

bilwit wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:15 am
StanK wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:44 pm

I installed it with a new KMC chain.. idk it's just absurdly audible when just normally pedalling through. When I swap to my other bike with the same gruppo and an Ultegra cassette it's dead silent and shifting is noticeably waaay smoother. I'm planning on swapping to Ultegra and using the BDop for special occasions.
I installed it with a PYC 1101 chain.
But now I have situation that putting Dura Ace chain I got almost dead silent ride on small ring, but on big ring (Dura Ace 9000) is pretty noisy. Not same on every cog, but that was the case when I had Ultegra 6800 groupset also. Just, Ultegra big ring was quieter. So, in the end, much noise I got from big DA ring, not BDop cassette or PYC chain.

dmp

by dmp

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:16 am
I switched from Supersonic tubes to some 66g. tubes I found. They are not as fast but way more durable than the Supersonics. And way cheaper too. I wanted a lightweight tube more for a RR reduction than a weight reduction. I’m running them with 28mm GP5Ks.

what tubes are these and where did you find them?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

They are a bit hard to find but they are out there if you look online. I also bought some that came in an OEM fashion (bagged in plastic but no paper box) for a better price.

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

Fizik Arione Carbon - biggest mistake I made was taking three seasons of pain to finaly realise the saddle needs to be comforatable, weight be damned. Seems the issue was the two carbon beams running under the saddle to provide stiffness = zero hull flex and pain. Settled on a Fabric Scoop carbon, not too much heavier.

Zipp 202 tubulars - cracked the rear rim twice (I'm 68kg max) after hitting a pothole, then next a sewer grate. Swapped for Mavic Cosmic Carbon pro (ALU rim / carbon fairing). Heavy, but bombproof so far, and aero enough.

Blackburn Airstik mini-pump. Borderline useless, switched back to a Lyzene Pressure Drive. Never undersetimate the usefulness of a hose...

Methodical

by Methodical

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:16 am

What is the width of those 28s once inflated and at what psi? Checking to see if they balloon like the 4ks.

Thanks...
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

'20 Emonda SLR (Rage Red) - 6.27kg (6.04kg;no pedals)
'12 Madone (Black) - 6.96kg (6.73kg;no pedals)
Fujee Espree (Maroon) - 11.02kg

alcatraz

by alcatraz

A friend damaged his maxxis 66gr (0.6mm thick) tubes by using them in 27mm tires (labeled 25c).

They are specified up to 25, so that means real width 25. Not safe for descending on wider than 25 tires.

It's funny that a latex tube wouldn't have failed the way his maxxis butyl did. Anyway, remember butyl doen't stretch as much. Use a tube specced for 28 or more for wide tires.
Last edited by alcatraz on Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

28mm measured on 17C rims at 80psi.