Weight weenie choices that went too far?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DOUG

by DOUG

Wookski wrote:
Thanos wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:24 pm
Wookski wrote:
bilwit wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:19 pm
61kgs

Berk Lupina (Round Rails) The flex felt amazing in terms of comfort but the rails snapped after a week. Oval rails from here on out.
Same experience with Berk, have broken the saddles pretty much every way possible. On to my 5th saddle (can’t complaint about the warranty Image ). I weigh 64kg
I've had the round rails Lupina padded saddle for 3 years, also weigh 64KG. Had no issues until recently when the saddle came away from the base. Some Gorilla glue later and it's fixed. What the hell are you doing to break 4 so far?

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk
No idea? Have never broken Tune Komm-Vor, Komm-Vor plus, San Marco Superleggera, I even have a 68g WR compositi that’s over 3 years old. If only the Berk’s weren’t so damn comfortable!
I know right? I've broken a round rails List and snapped the shell on an oval rail one when I hit a pothole so onto my 3rd (if you don't count the one on my MTB that I destroyed while racing).

That was defo my biggest mistake though. WW saddles really don't belong in XC racing IMO. the chance of catastrophic failure if you bin it (even a minor fall if the bike lands on it) is just too high. The saddle is actually quite vulnerable in a crash and if it fails then your race is 100% over.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

38 gram saddle from gelu. i cracked it after a few rides.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

also powercordz cables. don't last if you make adjustments to brakes/derailleurs. also must use nokon liner or use powercordz housing as it won't work with regular brake cable/shifter housing.

moyboy

by moyboy

Ouch... the K3?

mike wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:44 pm
38 gram saddle from gelu. i cracked it after a few rides.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Conti Supersonic inner tubes. Last 3 I tried all split at the outer edge of the reinforced area that surrounds the valve. Impossible to patch in that area. Last batch were ok, but this was enough to put me off for good.

PBK refunded the price - fair play!

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Interested to hear about the Gelu. Did a particular incident cause the damage? Are they replacing the saddle for you? Moving to a more "robust" version?

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

mike wrote:also powercordz cables. don't last if you make adjustments to brakes/derailleurs. also must use nokon liner or use powercordz housing as it won't work with regular brake cable/shifter housing.
But if it is installed well it works... Can't really call that a fail. Mine works perfectly and tbh I never felt the need to adjust cables after getting it back from the workshop. It's a ww item and best used with its own ww housing imo.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

the k3 is not a robust saddle. the rails are round, not oval. the saddle is extremely short as well as the rails. it cracked on the wing of the saddle.

C36

by C36

mike wrote:the k3 is not a robust saddle. the rails are round, not oval. the saddle is extremely short as well as the rails. it cracked on the wing of the saddle.
Got replacement from gelu?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

zefs

by zefs

4ibanez wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:25 pm
Conti Supersonic inner tubes. Last 3 I tried all split at the outer edge of the reinforced area that surrounds the valve. Impossible to patch in that area. Last batch were ok, but this was enough to put me off for good.

PBK refunded the price - fair play!
Were they split while inflating them or due to a puncture?

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

no i didn't bother. it was hard to deal with manufacturer as he appears to be a one man shop so i chalked it up as a lesson.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I've had really good luck with powercordz. Adjustments need to be made right before you tighten things down. I have EPS so I'm only using their brake cables.

gurk700

by gurk700

- Vittoria Corsa Speeds. Stick to Corsa's. Any significantly lighter tire really...
- Extralite (or chinese copy) fork expansion plug. Yeah no thank you. People use it with no issues but I'm not risking that. Cause IF it fails there's no way I don't end up in a hospital.
- Extralite Chainrings. Funny enough they work perfect for me but I've heard unusable for others cause of shifting performance. Trying to be objective! I'll keep using them as I have no issues with them.
- Absolute Black Top Cap. It has 0 issues on its own and I've used it with success but unfortunately it doesn't work with some expansion plugs.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

zefs wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:39 pm
Were they split while inflating them or due to a puncture?
Never during inflation. Twice on the road - both times front wheel, which was sketchy owing to how quickly it lost air. This wasn't just after installing or anything, just seems to be a random failure of the product. I thought it could be my rims, but they were completely clean and smooth. I even added some tape round the valve hole (using veloplugs) and the same thing happened again.

The other time, it was just sitting in the garage after an 80 mile group ride. Came out later for a quick wipe down and lube the chain and the tyre was flat with a tear by the valve. I was glad that didn't happen on the way home when we rip it up - could've had a pile up...

I saw online that other people had experienced failures in the same location... I replaced them with regular vittoria latex inners. No extra hassle as I always check my tyre pressures before a ride even if using butyl.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gurk700

by gurk700

Yeah Supersonics for me as well. I don't think they are horrible as far as puncturing goes but they do not like CO2 inflating, AT ALL.
if you inflate with CO2 the cold air cracks the innertube next to the valve and it goes flat for good. I once packed 3 of them in my saddle bag and was riding with one. All of them flatted because I only had CO2 with me.

And no there wasn't anything sharp left in the tire or rim.