Weight weenie choices that went too far?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mattr

by mattr

That's the round spring isn't it.

I'm detecting some "user abuse/misuse" here. I've had many of those out (to clean the pawl/insides of the hub out) and i can only recall one or not being fit to go back in. Think one of them was on a wheel used for CX.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kazyole

by Kazyole

56kg rider

Early on lightweight brakes before companies really got it right. I had a set of CNCed brakes from KCNC (I think) that looked great, were super light, but just wouldn't stop me. Switched at the time back to ultegra for safety reasons. Now I wouldn't worry so much though. I have EEBrakes now and they have plenty of power. And considering going to fibulas soon.

Tried latex tubes for a bit too. No bueno. But I've been running tubolito this year with no issues.

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

The best weight weenie component was Tune U21 skewers. They have performed brilliantly.

ms6073

by ms6073

Hawkwood wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:20 pm
Paris-Tours 1982.
Doh, face palm - I stand corrected.

- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

wilwil wrote:
DEADRE wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:08 pm

CAMAGNOLO BRAND REAR HUBS (Campagnolo bora ultra):
- The springs to hold the pawls in place: you would think that in that area were so much action is taking place that they would Design this concept where there is a component that is sensitive and really can not handle the stress that cycling offers. This spring is holding the pawls that allows that rear wheel to spin when pedaling, when that gets damage, the pawls will not grip into the teeth’s of the free hub thus your not going nowhere.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Campagnolo-Ful ... SwlxRaWOqq

Complete bollox. Never had an issue with any Campag wheels in this regard.
Would agree with wilwil here. This design is so much better than having three separate tiny springs, one under each pawl, that inevitably get lost, sooner or later. And if you’ve never lost one of those things while working on them, well, you just haven’t worked on them very much.

This thread is ironic being in a WeightWeenies... but entertaining.

My personal lightweight demons have to be ultralight skewers of any sort. I don’t use them, but it’s almost the first thing I look at when people complain of their creaky wheels with lightweight skewers. I put some Campy skewers in, tell them to take it for a spin, then come back and tell me if we need to look further. Most often, the answer is nope.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

bilwit

by bilwit

61kgs

Berk Lupina (Round Rails) The flex felt amazing in terms of comfort but the rails snapped after a week. Oval rails from here on out.

Tune U20 The lever action was too finicky, the carbon handle actually fell off (crap glue?) during a ride.

Extralite Streeters Also too finicky to close & adjust. Did the job but felt like it left too much play for some reason depite it feeling like there was plenty of clamping force. I now only prefer bolt-ons from here on out (J&L or view-speed)
Last edited by bilwit on Sat May 18, 2019 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cheers!

by Cheers!

Recon Titanium casettes. They don't last long and it is the only time I have ever managed to get a chain to skip teeths.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Streeters are fantastic. Been using for 7 years. Have cracked a few end plates through overclamping(user error) over the years but thats it.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Calnago wrote: This thread is ironic being in a WeightWeenies... but entertaining.

My personal lightweight demons have to be ultralight skewers of any sort.
That’s funny
To me personally. I bought like 4-5 sets of Omni super light skewers from eBay like 10 years ago and they all have performed flawlessly. Maybe I’m super luckyImageImageImageImage

Kazyole

by Kazyole

dgasmd wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 1:12 am
Calnago wrote: This thread is ironic being in a WeightWeenies... but entertaining.

That’s funny
To me personally. I bought like 4-5 sets of Omni super light skewers from eBay like 10 years ago and they all have performed flawlessly. Maybe I’m super luckyImageImageImageImage
Same. I've had my lightweight skewers so long I don't even know what they are anymore. Some unbranded (or I've worn the branding off) 39g for the set skewers. Have worked flawlessly for years and years. I feel like skewers are the easiest, no-compromise low-hanging-weightweenie-fruit out there.

fxx

by fxx

Calnago wrote:

What happened in your experience? Mine are flawless.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Re lightweight skewers.... mostly creaking, which means movement//slipping, which is not what your want in the wheel/dropout interface. Difficult to gauge how tight they are. Teeny levers are uncomfortable when closing and difficult to open. Heavier and more powerful the rider, the tighter they need to be, and almost feels like they’re going to break sometimes before you get them tight enough. Not worth it.
Just can’t really hold a candle to skewers like Campagnolo or Dura Ace, for functionality, no nonsense peace of mind, no slipping, easy to close/open.
Last edited by Calnago on Sat May 18, 2019 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

kgt

by kgt

IME it depends on the skewers.
I had KCNC ti skewers (44gr) in the past. They worked fine on my carbon Wilier frame but for some reason they had not enough power to hold the wheels properly on my steel frame (the Colnago Master I still have). On the contrary my Lightweight (LW) ti skewers (43gr) work fine on every frame, carbon or steel.
Of course, Record or DA skewers feel like they have much more power than you need but these are like 100gr heavier than ti, not good for ww.
Last edited by kgt on Sat May 18, 2019 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

A good compromise QR is the Mavic Ti QR that I have. The Ti shaft is 4.7mm in diameter and it doesn't stretch anymore than steel shafts. It has an internal cam. Weight is 87g which is a savings of 32g. over the Campy QRs. The WW QR I've tried before had a 3.8mm butted Ti shaft, and it was useless in holding the front wheel. The shaft diameter is quite important in providing a secure hold.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

How hard do you torque your skewers?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com