Weight weenie choices that went too far?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Too light skewers. It wasn't a safety concern, more the too frequent need to clean and re-tighten to avoid the creaks/slipping in dropouts and flex, I now use internal cams or DT RWS.

Speedplay to Dura-Ace pedals me too, same reason, Speedplay were waaaay too much maintenance, I thought I wanted the resistence-free rotational float, turns out I prefer fixed cleats! :mrgreen:

I had too light wheels once, I cooked 3 rims and they flexed way too much.

Oh and Topeak Shuttle carbon cages, I was losing bottles on anything but freshly repaved roads.
Last edited by Dan Gerous on Wed May 15, 2019 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zefs

by zefs

Klaster_1 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 2:55 pm
zefs wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:59 pm
Tune carbon bottlecages that were giving me trouble with Camelbak podiums.
My Tune cage has been great with a stock bottle, it sits tight and never fell off, even on bumpy descents.
With stock bottles yes, with Camelbacks I had trouble getting them on and off, but maybe small biceps are to blame!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boots2000

by boots2000

Light skewers, aftermarket cassettes, light chains, superlight cable housings, all junk.
Also zero gravity brakes.

Old School stuff- White Industries bottom brackets (for square taper). The spindle was held in place by collars that had 2mm set screws. The bb would "walk" sideways during a ride.

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

A. some how i convinced myself it's ok to ride a 80mm stem instead of my normaly 120mm..... after a few bruised knees i went back to 120mm.
B. lightweight rear QR came off new times when i set off at traffic light..... very not cool...
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

C36

by C36

kman wrote: - DT Revolution spokes. Even for a little guy like me, too soft and stretchy in my opinion. Many better choices - but most of my wheels are prebuilt these days.
Good one, forgot about it, ultra light spokes are the pinnacle of the absolute nonsense. The Ti ones being the creme on the cherry at the top of the cake.
The loss induced in terms of stiffness are huge and totally counterproductive to overall performance.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Ciamilo brakes. They work ok at best if you have 3 miles to stop at your leisure! I just got used to it and worked around them I guess because I rode in the alps and Dolomites among many other places with them and never died. Not even once!!

themidge

by themidge

I like my Ciamillo brakes, but then again I'm the weight weenie part of my bike that isn't very durable.

I don't regret any of my weight weenie parts so far, but I haven't started tuning components or built up my new wheels so there's plenty of time yet :wink: .

ms6073

by ms6073

Ultimate fail - leading a grand Tour stage riding a bike equipped with a protoype Ti crank spindle (WW from years past RIP):

- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

mendiz

by mendiz

Zero gravity 05 TI brakes, they are not brakes , are speed reducers.
Latex tubes, I tried but I gave up.
Scott carbon cages, they broke in two rides.
Rolf Elan, 1290 grs for clincher wheelset, I do not know if is weenie, awesome hubs but very very flexy.
You don´t stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding.

morrisond

by morrisond

I'll second Zero Gravity Brakes.

Lightweight aluminum cassetes were another great disappointment along with some of the lightweight chainrings.

I think the worst ever were the Aerolite Pedals - absolutely death to walk in and clip in and out of.

My favourite ever are the Schmolke Carbon Water Bolts I bought probably 15 years ago - I have had them on probably 10 different bikes - I just like them.

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

ms6073 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 7:22 pm
Ultimate fail - leading a grand Tour stage riding a bike equipped with a protoype Ti crank spindle (WW from years past RIP):

Paris-Tours 1982.

KCookie

by KCookie

Fiberlyte chainrings was my only mistake, what a complete load of crap, within a few rides the liftpins decided to fall off and the shifting was awful. Now back to Extralite and no problems at all.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

wheelsONfire wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:20 am
beanbiken wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:13 am
Chain rings for me, went from Extralites to TA Specialties and then BOR's.....
How's those B.O.R shifting?
OT but answering a question, shifting is very close to OEM sometimes a slight hesitation till the next pin/ramp comes, no WW regrets with these ones
BB

Coffee & carbon

nickf

by nickf

So many complaints about skewers. I have had nothing but good luck with kcnc, tune, and currently my lightest skewers extralite streeters. No noise or slips.

China carbon bottle cages. Good weight but junk pure junk at holding bottles.

AZR3

by AZR3

nickf wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:22 pm
So many complaints about skewers. I have had nothing but good luck with kcnc, tune, and currently my lightest skewers extralite streeters. No noise or slips.

China carbon bottle cages. Good weight but junk pure junk at holding bottles.
Same here, I’ve had a lot of WW parts but luckily those crappy Chinese bottle cages were my only regrets.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com