Weight weenie choices that went too far?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mortirolo

by mortirolo

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:37 am
A good compromise QR is the Mavic Ti QR that I have.
Exactly and the DT SWISS RWS TITAN QR (88g) is a reliable choose too.
Marco Pantani - Momenti Di Gloria
AX Vial (SR11) <- FELT FC (Record 10) <- LOOK KX (Dura-Ace) <- Specialized EPIC (Superbe Pro)

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

The only true ww option that's secure. Image

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

ms6073 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:54 pm
Hawkwood wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:20 pm
Paris-Tours 1982.
Doh, face palm - I stand corrected.

Paris-Tour run on a route from Blois to Chaville. In his book Fignon said the titanium axles were defective, the team mechanics had replaced all of them but his as he was on holiday with his bike at the time. I read years ago that TI Raleigh told Campagnolo there was an issue with the titanium axles so the latter made a change to them, perhaps this was the same issue.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I snapped a THM M3 non-drive side crankarm @ 600 watts.. somehow saved it, so no crash.

but since I upgraded to THM Clavicula which is lighter does it still count as a fail ? :)
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Kayrehn wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 1:16 pm
The only true ww option that's secure.
This. Unfortunately, Tune seem to have stopped producing these.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Kayrehn wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 1:16 pm
The only true ww option that's secure.

mattr

by mattr

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 11:31 am
How hard do you torque your skewers?
The "old" way used to be so you could read the text embossed on your palm for a few seconds after closing the skewer. (Old school knurled finished campag skewers.)

These days that's meaningless, because you have completely different cam rates (campag and shimano closed cam pull about 1.8-2mm IIRC), the lowest i've measured on one of my weight weenie skewers was about 1mm, some bushes made out of shit nylon, some delrin, some brass and some bare aluminium, all of which turn "embossed text" on the palm of your hand into completely different endloads. Which is the important thing.

Then you have the different materials and geometries for the skewer shafts themselves.

A quick fag packet calculation i did a few years ago had an endload variation from about 50-55% for the stretchiest skewer i could find up to 100% (shimano skewer. campag is almost the same). For the same torque on the axis of the cam. So discounting the usability and comfort of some of the levers, also i couldn't account for the changing friction with wear of bushes. Could only use the "brand new" value.

All my skewers are either internal cam or brass bush now. And steel shafts on the front.

Fox Vs Pinder was interesting when you start looking at this.

Aeo

by Aeo

bilwit wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:19 pm
Berk Lupina (Round Rails) The flex felt amazing in terms of comfort but the rails snapped after a week. Oval rails from here on out.
I have two Lupinas with round rails, one of them is very flexy, the other one is not. I am a lot heavier than you, too.
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

mattr wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 10:57 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 11:31 am
How hard do you torque your skewers?
The "old" way used to be so you could read the text embossed on your palm for a few seconds after closing the skewer. (Old school knurled finished campag skewers.)

These days that's meaningless, because you have completely different cam rates (campag and shimano closed cam pull about 1.8-2mm IIRC), the lowest i've measured on one of my weight weenie skewers was about 1mm, some bushes made out of shit nylon, some delrin, some brass and some bare aluminium, all of which turn "embossed text" on the palm of your hand into completely different endloads. Which is the important thing.

Then you have the different materials and geometries for the skewer shafts themselves.

A quick fag packet calculation i did a few years ago had an endload variation from about 50-55% for the stretchiest skewer i could find up to 100% (shimano skewer. campag is almost the same). For the same torque on the axis of the cam. So discounting the usability and comfort of some of the levers, also i couldn't account for the changing friction with wear of bushes. Could only use the "brand new" value.

All my skewers are either internal cam or brass bush now. And steel shafts on the front.

Fox Vs Pinder was interesting when you start looking at this.
My most recent purchase was Tune AC100/130. These are the lightest internal cam i could find.

I have a set you torque with an allen key (wrench torque if you'd like). But looking at torque level recommended for these (6-7Nm) and how hard this lock down, i won't go to those values.
I've heard several "this is the right way", but to be honest, i have no fact on what is max and no real fact on how to measure this?

One idea could be to measure the inside of the frame and then have a value for how much the dropouts are ok to be clamped inwards?
It's a bit difficult to know the bearing preload as we have a chain on.
I guess most go after what feels correct, but still, where's the fact?

Even if we would narrow it down to just carbon frames, the stiffness between frame droputs would vary greatly.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Weigh 75-80kg approx.

Had Ryde Pulse Sprint rims in 24/28 with the rear being asymmetric. First rim had hairline cracks around the spokes after 2000km, second failed catastrophically after almost the same distance. Lesson learnt - Rigida rims are ok, light Rigida rims aka Ryde are not up to use by >75kg rider. Open Pro UST next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

ms6073 wrote:Ultimate fail - leading a grand Tour stage riding a bike equipped with a protoype Ti crank spindle (WW from years past RIP):

Not a GT. Blois-Chaville, having been in holiday so the team hadn’t had his bike bank to swap out the recalled axle.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

ultimobici wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 11:15 am
Weigh 75-80kg approx.

Had Ryde Pulse Sprint rims in 24/28 with the rear being asymmetric. First rim had hairline cracks around the spokes after 2000km, second failed catastrophically after almost the same distance. Lesson learnt - Rigida rims are ok, light Rigida rims aka Ryde are not up to use by >75kg rider. Open Pro UST next time.

I tried to tell a few guys my Trace 22 rear rim cracked when inflating at 75 psi (tire did not seal properly).
But none believed me.
I bought a new rear rim. Later on the front tire burped and i crashed while cornering.
Had Hutchinson Black Mamba CX on the rims (Ryde Trace 22).
Sent those wheels back and bought DT XR 361 rims. No problem after that.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

PrimO

by PrimO

Ti skewers (38g) with nylon bushes which creaked like crazy no matter how tight they were and made the front wheel feel as if it were loose. Used them for one ride and removed them and binned them. Replaced them with Fouriers Ti QRs (51g) which have been excellent and solid for the last 12 months or more.

ancker

by ancker

Raccooningtanuki wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 11:36 am
Swapping my saddle and seatpost topper for a tennis ball. Haven’t swapped it back and longest ride at 170km but I’m guessing most people would call it a mistake
Wut.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

grymg

by grymg

Cheers! wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:30 pm
Recon Titanium casettes. They don't last long and it is the only time I have ever managed to get a chain to skip teeths.
Was about to say the same thing, it wouldn't shift up the cassette reliably, I'd have to go up two then down one. Fantastically light though. eventually went back to DA/Ultegra cassettes for more reliable shifting.