Canyon Ultimate cracked frame around brake cable

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rich330

by rich330

Hi

Wonder if anyone had any experience of the canyon ulitmate cracking around where the rear brake cable enters the frame?

I have a 2015 CF SLX F10 which has developed a crack, canyon have looked at is and said it is due to a lack of maintenance and not covered under warranty

what should have been maintaned to stop this happening?

or is it just that the carbon is so thin it can't cope over time with the force of the brake cable being pulled on?

Any advice would be much appreciated
Attachments
IMG_0875.JPG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

It's the 1 cent ferrule that's oxidizing. Take it out and replace it with plastic.

Touch up paint, done...

mattr

by mattr

Don't forget to clean up the mess as well!

MikeD

by MikeD

Galvanic corrosion.

wilwil

by wilwil

Would a metal Campag ferrule do that?

wilwil

by wilwil

I should add I have seen a Bianchi do this but it was the alu inserts, embedded into the frame, that the cable stops slip into that corroded. All the inserts in the frame corroded and the paint fell off. Terrible mess. The owner is still riding it though.

bilwit

by bilwit

rich330 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:40 am
what should have been maintaned to stop this happening?

or is it just that the carbon is so thin it can't cope over time with the force of the brake cable being pulled on?
Looks like just the paint to me. Is that really a ferrule or is it part of the frame?

Not sure what they wanted you to do. Isn't there a rubber grommet that goes over this?

https://cdn.road.cc/sites/default/files ... abling.jpg

Maybe take that off every once and a while and give it a clean so that it's completely dry and no moisture gets trapped underneath.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

Personally I’d be a bit pissed, would have expected a bit more from them.
I guess you could put it down to cleaning, the area behind the ferrule could have been greased.
With all that being said I wouldn’t expect it to crack (if it has).
I’d be tempted to sand it back and touch it up.
Not great but not the end of the world.
May be worth contacting them again.

Having worked in four bike shops over the years and with most of the big brands I’d expect this to be looked at seriously under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattr

by mattr

wilwil wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 3:56 pm
Would a metal Campag ferrule do that?
Probably, yes.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Certainly looks like corrosion to me. Personally I love proper metal ferrules over plastic, as long as they’re quality stainless steel, etc, and I have saved a little stash of Campy ferrules (they don’t supply them anymore with cablesets). The aluminum type ferrules are more prone to oxidation. Most stops I’ve seen are quite protected, either with paint, or nowadays just plastic/nylon/polymer inserts that go into holes drilled or molded into the carbon. But that looks like the ferrule just gets fitted into a kind of raw carbon hole. Combine that with water, especially salty water (sweat), and it’s going to corrode.
You need to first get that ferrule out of there. If it’s stuck use some needle nose pliers to grab it and pull it out. Then clean it up as best you can. Either replace with a plastic ferrule but even still, I’d use some kind of anti corrosion paste in there. Morgan Blue Aquaproof Paste is what I’d use in an attempt to at least prevent any further corrosion. But yes, contact Canyon as well and show them the pic (both this one and a pic of the hole after you get the ferrule out). It seems that it’s something they’d want to be aware of if they aren’t so they can do something to help prevent that better in the future. I’d also like to see a good pic of the spot after you get the ferrule out. I don’t think it’s a structural crack in the tube itself however, but a better look without the ferrule, and before cleaning, then another look after it’s cleaned up may provide a better place to go forward from.

Actually, it’s possible the hole was designed not to be used with a ferrule at all, and just large enough to fit a properly cut brake housing, but I’m not sure. Was there some build guidelines that came with the bike, or online perhaps. I’d check those too. But for sure get in contact with Canyon for their opinion. Whether they can do something or not now I don’t know, but they may be able to tell you a little bit more about how it’s supposed to be done, with or without ferrule etc. and if with ferrule, does it have to be plastic, which most are these days.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

bilwit wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 5:18 pm
Isn't there a rubber grommet that goes over this?
No. Your photo shows the rear brake cable exit of the current Ultimate, while the photo in the first post shows the rear brake cable entry (on the front of the frame) of the previous generation Ultimate. I used to have one and this particular hole in the frame is indeed just raw carbon sized to be used with a ferrule. The exit hole is much larger and has a removable plastic insert in order to make it easy to get the brake cable out of the frame again, but it is still sized for a ferrule and no grommet.

rich330

by rich330

Thanks for all the replies, the bike has been to Canyon UK who have inspected it and said;

"
The warranty and guarantee periods do not not cover damages caused by inappropriate or unspecified use according to the fields of use for the particular product as described on our website, for example:

- neglect of product (lack of care and maintenance);
- modifications to frame or fork (for example engravings or lacquering);
- mounting and alteration of additional components that were not expressly approved by us or replacement of our original components by components that do not have a similar quality;
- crash;
- excessive load;
- jumps; or
- excessive loads of any other kind."
They highlighted neglect of product.

Im pretty sure these are the original parts that were fitted to the bike when it was new, so I guess its not a stainless steel.

When it gets back from them I'll see if I can pull the ferrule out and clean it up and replace with plastic, I think the swelling has caused a crack in the frame which is a shame.

I wonder if the instruction manual lists maintenance of these parts?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Hmmm.... I think it’s a reach to highlight the reason for a rejected warranty claim as “lack of care and maintenance”, or “neglect”. That sure looks like corrosion to me, and if that’s just a raw hole in the carbon with exposed areas subject to water ingress within the carbon/resin matrix, then I’m not sure what you could have done to protect it better. But do check out that ferrule for signs of its own corrosion/oxidation.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

kgt

by kgt

It does not look like you did something wrong. IMHO a high quality frame should offer stainless steel or plastic ferrules. Many frames offer both, like plastic sockets were the steel ferrules of the cable ends can sit.
I don't think that such a small crack on the top tube is a problem but certainly the tubes of this frame are very thin.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

1415chris

by 1415chris

Maybe apart not spotting the issue in time, especially in such exposed and extremely easy accessible place. Surely it didn't happen over the night?
That is what you could do. On the other hand, it shouldn't have happened in the first place. Try tu push them a bit more.