Old Cervelo R3s - do they really crack?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sanbaronto

by sanbaronto

Hi WW's.

I have an early Cervelo R3 (2010). It's happened twice - cracks around the bottom bracket drive side (BB does not seem to move under load). The first was replaced under warranty, now a new replacement is likely.

I've read a lot of topics on online forums about people experiencing the same issue. Most say the alu BB shell desintegrates from the frame, while a few claim it's just paint cracks due to flex, and there's nothing to worry about. Who should I believe...

Have any of you had such a frame where the BB shell really came loose? If my frame just has cosmetic faults, I'd be happy to just keep riding it, as replacements are a pain (rebuilding, old components don't fit, etc.).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

goodboyr

by goodboyr

There was only a small window of frames where they came unbonded. The white frames were only paint cracks. I believe it was the RS models that were most susceptible to the debonding. My 2006 R3 is still running fine, no issues.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

eric01

by eric01

There was a run of r3’s back in 2009 (give or take) which did have bottom bracket issues. But since this is the internet, I suspect it was a relatively small number that was magnified

I had a 2007 model that I rode hard for 7 years or so and never had any issues. Great bike. Well ahead of its time.
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

Stendhal

by Stendhal

sanbaronto wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:27 am
Hi WW's.

I have an early Cervelo R3 (2010). It's happened twice - cracks around the bottom bracket drive side (BB does not seem to move under load). The first was replaced under warranty, now a new replacement is likely.

I've read a lot of topics on online forums about people experiencing the same issue. Most say the alu BB shell desintegrates from the frame, while a few claim it's just paint cracks due to flex, and there's nothing to worry about. Who should I believe...

Have any of you had such a frame where the BB shell really came loose? If my frame just has cosmetic faults, I'd be happy to just keep riding it, as replacements are a pain (rebuilding, old components don't fit, etc.).
I owned the exact same model. bout two years later, I had it taken to a shop to be stripped to the fraeme, which I was going to re-paint, and the shop found a cracked bottom bracket. (As I recall that was a known issue at the time.) Cervelo sent a warranty replacement.
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

kgt

by kgt

Cracks on the bb of Cervelos is a rather well known story.

Stueys

by Stueys

eric01 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:52 am
There was a run of r3’s back in 2009 (give or take) which did have bottom bracket issues. But since this is the internet, I suspect it was a relatively small number that was magnified

I had a 2007 model that I rode hard for 7 years or so and never had any issues. Great bike. Well ahead of its time.
Heard the same, also met a tour lead who was running a '10 R5 that had the same issue. All the cases I've heard (grand total of 2) Cervelo have replaced the frame without question. Suspect they had a small batch with issues.

1415chris

by 1415chris

kgt wrote:Cracks on the bb of Cervelos is a rather well known story.
However the old story, to be more precise.

wilwil

by wilwil

I have a 2009 R3-SL that Im still riding and it hasnt cracked. The thread of the BB cable router corroded and I replaced it with a new Riv Nut. Apparently there were quite a few cracked BBs on these frames. Ironically Ive had two Colnagos that have cracked. Great frame except it only takes 23mm tyres.

1415chris

by 1415chris

I hope, in the case of Colnagos, it happened within two or three years from the purchase date.
This is the difference between brands like Colnago and Cervelo. With the first one you are on your own after their "generous" period they are commiting themself to look after you if something goes wrong. Not that much worry with Cervelo, at least where passing of time is a factor ;)

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

My R3SL cracked in head tube. Beautiful and dynamic frame, replaced without question under warranty.

RyanH

by RyanH

1415chris wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 5:00 pm
I hope, in the case of Colnagos, it happened within two or three years from the purchase date.
This is the difference between brands like Colnago and Cervelo. With the first one you are on your own after their "generous" period they are commiting themself to look after you if something goes wrong. Not that much worry with Cervelo, at least where passing of time is a factor ;)
Don't forget that if you are within their generous warranty period, they will take over 6 months to resolve the issue and half ass the paint job to fix it as well.

kgt

by kgt

Today at Luescher Teknik's fb page:
"Found an area of what looks like uncured resin or similar foreign object in this @cervelocycles top tube. The area was easily found using an #ultrasoundscan
The next question is how did it get to be like that? Was it a prepreg fault or a foreign object during layup?"
https://www.facebook.com/26463361697237 ... 480300692/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

parajba

by parajba

Done around 100,000 km on mine and still going strong!