Ever shaved or removed a carbon saddle’s padding?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gurk700

by gurk700

I wonder if you could get it down to just the carbon and if it would still look good. I have an extra saddle but would love to hear from someone who’s done it before hacking into and potentially ruiningit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lewn777

by Lewn777

I think it entirely depends on the saddle and your specific posterior. I have one of those Chinese GUB saddles. I removed the paddding and it was hella uncomfortable with pressure points everywhere although it looked much better. Someone else did it and said theirs was more comfortable as a result which inspired me, obviously we ahve different rear ends. :D

The cautious person wouldn't do it unless you dislike your current saddle.

3Pio

by 3Pio

gurk700 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 6:29 am
I wonder if you could get it down to just the carbon and if it would still look good. I have an extra saddle but would love to hear from someone who’s done it before hacking into and potentially ruiningit.

I tried to ride like that on my worn out SLR Carbonio Flow... But after a while was not rideable.. If the saddle is without hole, probably possible.. I had problems with edges from the hole...

gurk700

by gurk700

I have a C-59 which I love. But also an S-Works Toupe which I love but don't use cause of C-59. I'm just wondering if Toupe would look cool and be lighter without padding. I guess there's no easy answer :D

simoncx

by simoncx

I did it to my 4za carbon saddles because I hate saddles with lots of padding, stripped them down and sanded smooth. Both are on my mtb's but I ended up covering them with thin cow leather because they were too slippery. Personally I find them comfortable and can down 3-4hr mtb rides on them without a problem.

trustbran

by trustbran

I did to an sworks toupe, rode it for 2 years and tons of miles. I crashed it and never shaved another, but it was fine to ride.

gurk700

by gurk700

trustbran wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:22 am
I did to an sworks toupe, rode it for 2 years and tons of miles. I crashed it and never shaved another, but it was fine to ride.
Happen to have any photos? Did it look pretty good? Weight?

Billiano

by Billiano

trustbran wrote:I did to an sworks toupe, rode it for 2 years and tons of miles. I crashed it and never shaved another, but it was fine to ride.
Any pics???

Στάλθηκε από το MI 6 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

gurk700 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 6:29 am
Yes, a Fizik Antares 00. Started with using a dremel to make a relief channel. Then it kind of took it's own course and suddenly the saddle was bare.
What i noted, while the saddle looked suberb, i did find that the padding used, was cut in such manner the shape was less curved.
Naked, it had more curve, which i didn't like.
Edges can be sharper which might be an issue talking comfort and wear of bib shorts.
Otherwise, no way to tell without doing the surgery.
Anyhow, you will learn something :D
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Billiano

by Billiano

Guys post some pics and let the candidate decide

Στάλθηκε από το MI 6 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com