Ever shaved or removed a carbon saddle’s padding?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
gurk700

by gurk700

I wonder if you could get it down to just the carbon and if it would still look good. I have an extra saddle but would love to hear from someone who’s done it before hacking into and potentially ruiningit.

by Weenie

Lewn777

by Lewn777

I think it entirely depends on the saddle and your specific posterior. I have one of those Chinese GUB saddles. I removed the paddding and it was hella uncomfortable with pressure points everywhere although it looked much better. Someone else did it and said theirs was more comfortable as a result which inspired me, obviously we ahve different rear ends. :D

The cautious person wouldn't do it unless you dislike your current saddle.

3Pio

by 3Pio

gurk700 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 6:29 am
I wonder if you could get it down to just the carbon and if it would still look good. I have an extra saddle but would love to hear from someone who’s done it before hacking into and potentially ruiningit.

I tried to ride like that on my worn out SLR Carbonio Flow... But after a while was not rideable.. If the saddle is without hole, probably possible.. I had problems with edges from the hole...

gurk700

by gurk700

I have a C-59 which I love. But also an S-Works Toupe which I love but don't use cause of C-59. I'm just wondering if Toupe would look cool and be lighter without padding. I guess there's no easy answer :D

simoncx

by simoncx

I did it to my 4za carbon saddles because I hate saddles with lots of padding, stripped them down and sanded smooth. Both are on my mtb's but I ended up covering them with thin cow leather because they were too slippery. Personally I find them comfortable and can down 3-4hr mtb rides on them without a problem.

trustbran

by trustbran

I did to an sworks toupe, rode it for 2 years and tons of miles. I crashed it and never shaved another, but it was fine to ride.

by Weenie

gurk700

by gurk700

trustbran wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:22 am
I did to an sworks toupe, rode it for 2 years and tons of miles. I crashed it and never shaved another, but it was fine to ride.
Happen to have any photos? Did it look pretty good? Weight?