Brakes - last item for new build

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Methodical

by Methodical

I'm at the end of the bike building process (Emonda SLR), but stuck on which brake set to get. I know Sram and Bontrager have direct mount brakes, but not sure what else is out there. I need brakes that will work with Sram Etap (old system). I've been leaning toward Bontrager because they are lighter, but again, I don't know much about their brakes. Can anyone provide insight on which braking system would be best or if there are other options out there that will work well with Etap? I'd appreciate any help.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

ee. No comparison.

by Weenie

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Short answer: ee.

Questions worth considering are:

How much braking performance do you need? (weight/terrain/weather/wheel brake surface/riding style all play an important role).

Is money no object?

Best in what regard, bang for buck, braking, lightweight, bling, low maintenance? Rank in order of importance.

Methodical

by Methodical

Thanks for responding. I am using full carbon wheels and money is not an issue for this build when it comes to braking. :wink: I have not yet bit the bullet on disc brakes, so need the best I can get for now.

I went out on a limb and have taken you'll advice and ordered the set. Man, I could not find one store that had both units in stock (my typical go to online stores); they either had the rear or the front, but not both. Are they that popular or short on supply? Most online stores have them discounted a bit, does CC have something new on the horizon?

1. Do these work only with only certain brake pads (i.e. proprietory pads)? If so, which pads are needed?
2. Will the standard pad for carbon fiber wheels work with these calipars?
2. What pads work best with these brake calipars that you recommend?

alcatraz

by alcatraz

If your wheels are under warranty you are required to use approved brake pads.

Good pads are Shimano r55c4 carbon, Carbstop. I'm not too impressed with swisstop black prince. I live in dry area however. For wet breaking consult someone else.

uraz

by uraz

All shimano compatible pads will fit ee brakes.

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

You actually need to order two fronts to use with an Emonda. I would recommend returning the rear. Or return both. ;) I have a used set for sale if you would be interested...

eric01

by eric01

Bontrager brakes that look like the ee’s are a good option too. I never tried myself but a riding buddy has good things to say about them.

AX Lightness Vial Evo, Carl Strong Titanium

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Is there such a thing as a dm rear? I don't think so...

Emonda doesn't use chainstay mounted rear brake so two identical should be ok.

Because of cable routing on ee brakes if you have a small frame where the brake comes close to the seatstay/seattube junction it could be incompatible.

Methodical

by Methodical

dudemanppl wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:08 am
You actually need to order two fronts to use with an Emonda. I would recommend returning the rear. Or return both. ;) I have a used set for sale if you would be interested...
Although they are labeled as front and rear, when looking at both units, they look identical. Other than the labeling, I see no difference. Below are links to both units, perhaps you can identify any differences since you have experience with them.

I was on Crane Creeks website and that website is not user friendly at all (more like an ancient dinasour). I could not find any good information on these brake units.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/cane ... ke-cne000k (labeled front)
https://planetcyclery.com/canecreekeebr ... liperbrake (labeled rear)

Thanks...
Last edited by Methodical on Mon May 13, 2019 10:31 am, edited 7 times in total.

Methodical

by Methodical

alcatraz wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 5:01 am

Because of cable routing on ee brakes if you have a small frame where the brake comes close to the seatstay/seattube junction it could be incompatible.
Thanks for the info. Both brakes look identical, except the labeling (see post above). As far as fitment, I will find out soon when the brakes come in this week.
Last edited by Methodical on Mon May 13, 2019 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

akaspin

by akaspin

Methodical wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 10:07 am
alcatraz wrote:

Thanks for the info. Both brakes look identical, except one is labled front and one is labeled rear. I see no difference in appearance. As far as fitment, I will find out soon when the brakes come in this week.
They not fully identical. Bontrager allows to tune leverage ratio.

Methodical

by Methodical

akaspin wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 10:29 am
Methodical wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 10:07 am
alcatraz wrote:

Thanks for the info. Both eebrakes look identical, except one is labled front and one is labeled rear. I see no difference in appearance. As far as fitment, I will find out soon when the brakes come in this week.
They not fully identical. Bontrager allows to tune leverage ratio.
Sorry for the confusion. I meant both of the eeBrakes I linked in my post above look identical. Made correction for clarification.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

until carbon ones are made, ee brakes are the standard for ww

none

by none

Brakes, who needs them; they only slow you down.

by Weenie