Silca brand

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hambini

by hambini

My personal experience with Silca has not been great and that is devoid of their equipment.

Last year I opened a service ticket to send Josh the owner an email about aero results. Nothing happened and all was good.

Recently, I started getting offer emails from Silca and I hit the unsubscribe link on two emails. I still continued to get spam. So I tweeted them

They claimed I had entered a competition to win some tools. Which is complete BS, my only interaction was this service ticket. They clearly haven't heard of GPDR and god knows what they do with your information.

Hambini
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

euan

by euan

(...and you got bad mouthed a little on the podcast before last)

hambini

by hambini

euan wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 8:22 pm
(...and you got bad mouthed a little on the podcast before last)
Oh dear, I must have rattled someone's cage.
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

Leviathan

by Leviathan

nevermind.

we51

by we51

I wrapped my bars with Nastro Piloti two weeks ago, and have a few hundred miles on it since. I like it so far - coming from Fizik Superlight Soft Touch (the felt-like finish) which I really liked, so the rubbery feel on the Piloti is lot different. I ride with no gloves so hand feel is very important to me. Piloti is super comfortable and grippy (I wrapped the extra grip direction), and the padding has been noticably better than the Superlight. We'll see how that holds up over time.

I read in reviews that one has to be extra careful to keep from getting bunches while wrapping, but I didn't find that to be the case at all. I did wrap/unwrap the first side a few times to get the stretch and overlap where I was happy with it, but the second went on super easy. It does take a much firmer wrap than I am used to, but never felt like it was even close to tearing.

Silca has talked a lot about the "butterfly" extra cut that goes around the hoods, and they are nice. I have always done a figure 8 there and didn't use the extra pieces anyway so not a huge deal for me. I did NOT do a figure 8 with the Piloti, and it still looks good but I have to come to terms with it not being the "correct" way to wrap. :) What I did find to be super nice was the finishing strips. They are rubbery and SUPER stretchy and made getting a really nice finish a snap. I would buy those strips in bulk if sold individually.
twoangstroms wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 1:43 am
Not to derail the "how to lube or wax a chain" thread, but I'm curious about their (pricey) handlebar tape. So if anyone has experience with that, I'd love to hear (new Shimano PRO bars suprisingly have a bladed shape in the drops). Similar about their race bag, though I see that's currently out of stock, so I'd also be open to what's your favorite race-day bag (preferably great for air travel, too).

mortirolo

by mortirolo

we51 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 6:56 pm
Nastro Piloti
Thanks, but we are on weightweenies forum, so where is the photo on digital scale? :)
Marco Pantani - Momenti Di Gloria
AX Vial (SR11) <- FELT FC (Record 10) <- LOOK KX (Dura-Ace) <- Specialized EPIC (Superbe Pro)

froze

by froze

sethjs wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 4:44 pm

But...I'll keep buying more. Why?

Silca's pushing the innovation curve in cycling accessories. When you're doing that your v1 products are likely to have defects / issues. You're going to have to charge more if you're not venture funded and need to be cash flow positive. And the gestalt of the products is great. It's the "bugs" that are getting them.

Importantly, I've found their customer service to be totally top notch. Any issue I've had, they've addressed.

Net - I want to support innovation. Hardware is hard. And innovation is really hard. You just need to go in knowing that.
I disagree with this, how much innovation is there in a pump? My god, it's the same thing, a plunger in a barrel, that has been made by thousands of companies, and there are thousands of pumps on the market. Same for tools that Silca offers. No there is no innovation going on just fancy packaging and slick marketing. The only saving grace Silca has is that they are now owned by an American company manufacturing stuff in Indiana. https://silca.cc/pages/about

Silca markets to the higher end crowd, and that's ok, but they're not any better than other stuff you can find for a lot less money. Plus there isn't any long term reviews yet as to how well the tools are holding up to abuse...err I mean use. I think their Tattico pump with bluetooth so you can read the pressure on your phone is extremely silly, just put the damn psi gauge on the pump and don't make me mess around with two devices just to my psi, and I don't need to be replacing a battery in my pump ever so often, whatever happened to the idea of not putting chemicals in landfills? In addition to that the Tattico is heavier than, and doesn't work as good as the Lezyne Road Drive (large) size yet the Tattico cost 3 times more, and the Lezyne stuff is made in America as well.

welchy

by welchy

Who has tried the premio seat roll? Liked the look and the BOA dial, any other thoughts on seat rolls?

peted76

by peted76

welchy wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:51 am
Who has tried the premio seat roll? Liked the look and the BOA dial, any other thoughts on seat rolls?
I brought one, lovely bit of kit, the boa makes it feel quality over other seat rolls.
However I found it wasn't very versitile, I run tubeless, so don't carry tubes or the usual 'clincher stuff' I carry a small bottle of sealant and an air cannister, for which it's not much good for. Better for packing flatter stuff in.
I swapped mine for a saddle, and brought a Bandicoot Pouch from Alpkit instead, so it all worked out.

welchy

by welchy

peted76 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:11 pm
welchy wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:51 am
I brought one, lovely bit of kit, the boa makes it feel quality over other seat rolls.
However I found it wasn't very versitile, I run tubeless, so don't carry tubes or the usual 'clincher stuff' I carry a small bottle of sealant and an air cannister, for which it's not much good for. Better for packing flatter stuff in.
I swapped mine for a saddle, and brought a Bandicoot Pouch from Alpkit instead, so it all worked out.
It will kind of be permantly attached to the bike as I'm slowly destroying so many jersey pockets stuffing a tube, pump and multi tool in everyday. Would be nice to have something secure to the bike. My Evoc bag rattled lose about 5 times during ParisRoubaix and I lost my favourite little multitool.. The zip just constantly rattled and annoyingly it wore a nice mark through my post, hence why the Silca one is tempting me.

Cheapest I can see is £38 online delivered and thats with £5off voucher (tredz). What are they going for in the US?

IvanZg

by IvanZg

I am using one for 2 years or so. I have two tire levers inside, patch kit, small multi tool, co2 cartridge and head for it, 2 latex gloves. It’s limited by that flap design on how long things can be packed inside. Also if shape of things packed is not ideal it’s hard to roll it properly. I probably would not buy one again but I’ll probably use it until I lose it or it falls apart.

JKolmo

by JKolmo

I’ve been using one for years too. Really great! Firmly attached with the boa. I use it when riding clinchers (one tube and a set of tire levers) or tubulars (I actually manage to squeeze in a tiny Tufo tubular plus a tire lever).

Js2

by Js2

Like any roll style design, the fabric overlap makes it bulkier when folded especially if you have a lot of things in there. For space, a regular bag design might be better but then the inner tube might rub against your multi-tool if you don't put something between to prevent rubbing.

The ones I like for that style is:
Arundel Uno / Duo

otoman

by otoman

I like my premio seat roll. Much better than the arundel actually as the velcro strap has notoriously failed and dropped a seat bag into my rear wheel on two of my Arundels over the years. I guess I should retire my stuff earlier, haha.

I also don't like the larger premio seat roll -- too big.
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

Js2

by Js2

The velcro on the arundel hasn't failed me yet, but I don't stuff it full of items in there. My friend on the other hand has lost her saddle bag due to the velcro coming off.

I still use both the premio and arundel on different bikes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com