Single sided power - 4iii v Pioneer

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
murph

by murph

Am looking at a crank arm power meter, narrowed it down to 4iii or Pioneer (bluetooth model). Any positives/negatives or are they pretty much the same? Only thing I can see between them is possibly accuracy 4iii 1% v pioneer 2% and that the Pioneer needs a magnet - which if this is true would mean I wouldn't choose it.

I've been using p2m for 4 years on different bikes and that has been 100% faultless - but new bike has shimano cranks/bb86 so it would mean new cranks and power meter and more $$$.

Also any difference between the pioneers left side and right side only options? same results but just on different sides?

Cheers

by Weenie

cjnl

by cjnl

murph wrote:Only thing I can see between them is possibly accuracy 4iii 1% v pioneer 2%
Apologies for being direct. Accuracy and single sided really don’t go hand in hand. Unless you can be perfectly equal for both legs, also in fatigue accuracy, will suffer a lot more than 1 or 2%.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

petosagan

by petosagan

Most of us are 48/52 , left-right balance

Envoyé de mon SM-A530W en utilisant Tapatalk

Sammutd88

by Sammutd88

I’ve had both. I never used the magnet on the Pioneer as it didn’t sit well on my frame but the cadence reading wasn’t really affected by the lack of magnet. The 4iii hasn’t given me any issues either. It hasn’t received a firmware update in a long time but it works so I guess maybe it doesn’t need any updates.

BagelMaster

by BagelMaster

Sammutd88 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 2:16 pm
I’ve had both. I never used the magnet on the Pioneer as it didn’t sit well on my frame but the cadence reading wasn’t really affected by the lack of magnet. The 4iii hasn’t given me any issues either. It hasn’t received a firmware update in a long time but it works so I guess maybe it doesn’t need any updates.
Have you checked your 4iiii app? I vaguely remember a firmware update for my Precision a few weeks ago.

For left side only, I like my 4iiii -- but I'll probably not buy left side only again in the future. I have to keep the average power interval somewhat high (I use 5s) in order to try to account for it measuring one side only and doubling. If you have compatible cranks, Power2Max is only marginally more expensive to most 4iiii and Pioneer models and I think it srikes a good balance between affordability and reliability.

reknop

by reknop

I have tested both the 4iiii Precision Power Meter and the Pioneer Dura Ace 9000 Single Leg Power Meter model SGY-PM910HL combined it with the Pioneer SGX-CA500 cycle computer.

Both are good options, but are dependent on your personal requirements. I'm a data geek so opted for the Pioneer ... :)

https://www.remo-knops.com/6270/4iiii-p ... er-review/
https://www.remo-knops.com/5281/pioneer ... em-review/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.remo-knops.com/cycling/

Jere

by Jere

Hi
I started out with a SRM than Quarq
One you send back for battery’s the other shims and spacers with every bottom bracket PITA
4iii you put on and use all most no weight added on.
If you’re worried about + or - 2 to 10 Watts than maybe get a better Pro contact.
I have 6 Wiii in use 20,000 plus miles not one bit of trouble snow,ice,rain and mud.
The only place Wiii will go crazy is fixed gear hill repeats at very low RPM so That still has a Quarq.
I use 5800 and 6800 arms with battery’s and got most of them on sale the most I paid was $275.00
A few $130.00
Jere B

cjnl

by cjnl

Jere wrote: If you’re worried about + or - 2 to 10 Watts than maybe get a better Pro contact.
I think 300W FTP is quite common for most mortals on this forum. Even with that FTP and 52/48 balance it can be off by .300-(.48*300*2)=12W. Also many of us have a different L/R balance when getting tired or at different levels of power. 54/46 is also not uncommon and will result in 24W difference. It will become a completely different training trying to produce 24W above or under your actual FTP of 300.

Choose whatever you want, but don’t neglect the differences if you plan to act on those numbers.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Sammutd88

by Sammutd88

Sure enough you’re correct, first update in a long time!
Last edited by Sammutd88 on Wed May 22, 2019 4:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

NTX

by NTX

I have the 3rd generation Pioneer left side. I was trying to decide between stages, pioneer and 4iii. I asked my mechanic for their opinion (they only offer maintenance and don't sell power meters) and they recommended 1) Pioneer 2) Stages 3) 4iii. Said they seemed to hold up against water best and had no issues. I think the new Wahoo also has the ability to see more in depth pioneer data. Not sure if the other brands offer it but if you decide you want right side later you can add it to your right side with Pioneer.