Replacement pulley/jockey wheel recommendations

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
alcatraz

by alcatraz

The J&L are nice apart from their full ceramic bearings. The play in the bearings is annoying. I'd buy the J&L for their material but swap the bearings out.

What's annoying is that I've seen the same pulleys sold under as noname wirh steel bearings only 12t for 1usd each, and they are better than the J&L ones. They have steel bearings with proper seals that spin like new after a long time. The full ceramic ones just rattle and seem flimsy.

For weightweenies that care about performance get pulley wheels with small steel bearings instead of full ceramic. A pulley doesn't need a massive and heavy 626 bearing like sram red has. Put a smaller 699 or 689 there and it'll work fine.

by Weenie

rlanger

by rlanger

iamraymond wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:05 pm
rlanger wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:11 am
Thought I'd chime in to update this thread after putting about 1000+ km on my J&L pulley wheels.

I use the 12t/14t combo. It's made of delryn
After suffering with a slightly noisy drivetrain, since I installed my DA9150 group about 18 months ago, I'm happy to report that I now have a silent system. Quite pleased about that for $15
Did you have to change your cages or did the standard ones fit? I'm really interested to quiet down my 8050 drivetrain.
Nope, didn't need to change the cage. Fit the 9150 cage no problem.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I like the Tacx jockey wheels, the bearings are smooth, last a long time and they're quiet...I hope they bring some 12 speed ones out for Campagnolo.

romanmoser

by romanmoser

hope