What's Not to Like? -- Cycling Equipment Department

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

edwardk

by edwardk

I've learned a lot from this forum in general, and gotten great help on specific questions in particular. I thought I would take a minute and set down my experience with a range of gear over the last few months, in case it helps anyone else. Remember, one input is not data, it's an anecdote.

1. Colnago C64 Disc. With the group's input I ordered a C64 Disc frame (54s) about a year ago. The frame took its sweet time arriving, as did the Campy Record 12 speed mechanical disc group I ordered. That turned out to be unimportant, as no sooner did I order everything than I got sick. I've only been back riding this year.

The more I ride the C64, the more I like it. In my first few plodding rides when I was able to get back on my bike, I was overwhelmed by guilt at riding such an expensive bike so slowly. I used to fantasize about Ernesto jumping out from behind a bush and taking the bike away from me, on the grounds that I was unworthy. But now that I can proceed at reasonable speeds over reasonable distances, I have become firmly attached in my affections. It handles beautifully, of course, and thanks to the group's input it fits really well. It has a feel that's hard to describe -- responsive to road inputs like steel, but with its own particular snap. I also like the technical features like its BB design.
I can't say that it (or any frame at this price level) is justifiable from a financial perspective, but I can say that I am very glad that I own and ride it. And in the UAE Emirates livery it looks great.

2. Campy 12 speed mechanical disc group. All the modern groupsets shift well, and I am not so refined as to notice fundamental differences between my SRAM Red 11 speed and the Campy 12 speed in this regard. I can say though that for my use as a recreational rider the Campy approach to 12 speed has proven completely unnecessary. I have yet to notice a difference in practice between 11 speed 11x32 and 12 speed 11x32. What I really needed was a 12 speed 12x34, and of course Campy doesn't offer that.

The Campy disc brakes though are fabulous. I was leery of disc brakes until this setup (my first excursions into discs), and I now doubt that I will ever go back. The brakes have never squealed, and they have all the power and the modulation that the reviews promise. I can't speak to performance in Belgian style weather, because I live in Southern California, but I did ride recently in the worst weather we've had in a few weeks (it was slightly misty) and the brakes worked flawlessly.

Campy is really frustrating in other ways, though. First, consider the Chorus 12 speed rollout. There's a 11x34 cassette, but Campy at least insistst that I throw away my Record derailleur for a Chorus one if I want to use it. (Yes I know that this might be marketing overstatement, but that sort of behavior makes things even worse.) Ditto the new subcompact crank -- I can't just swap chainrings. Then there's the matter of highly specialized and expensive tools required to work on Campy, from exotic bearing pullers to pricey 12 speed chain tools. My little LBS can't afford to buy these tools for their one customer riding Campy 12 speed so far. And then there are delivery issues all the time. Contrast the rollout of SRAM Axs with Campy Chorus 12 -- instant availablity vs vague promises of delivery some months out. At this point SRAM Axs looks much more compelling to me.

3. FSA Supercompact cranks. Try not to snicker, but these -- in particular, their 46x30 crankset -- have been a godsend to me. The cranks have enabled me to tackle longer and harder rides during my recovery than I possibly would have attempted without them, and when I'm back to full strength I can always just put the Record cranks back on if I want. All that stuff about a 46 tooth big gear enabling you to stay in the "big" ring for the preponderance of a ride turns out to be true, and I don't care that a 46x11 isn't high enough to keep up with the peloton. Best of all, the FSA 46x30 crankset mates perfectly to Campy 12 speed. This came as a surprise even to the good folk at FSA! I may never give up on them, because I like the idea of always having a get-home gear when I overextend myself.

4. Continental 5000 TL 28mm tires. These are remarkable. In coast down tests that I've run, they are noticeably faster than the Schwalbe Pro One's they replaced, and they handle really well -- better than the Schwalbe at bump absorption. I've not yet had any issues with tubeless failures on the road, and knock wood I won't.

5. Terry Fly Ti Gel Saddle. Just when I think I can't find a new way to embarrass myself further, I surprise myself. This is the ugliest saddle I've ever seen, and it's been around forever, but it's an order of magnitude more comfortable for me than the Fizik Aliante, Selle San Marco Aspide, etc etc saddles that I've been swapping on and off the bike.

Enough. Again I appreciate everyone's sage advice in this forum.

Edward

tabl10s

by tabl10s

You ride a "Feemail" saddle?
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

edwardk

by edwardk

No this is one of their men’s models. The men’s line obviously is not as well known, but it does exist.

desperado95219

by desperado95219

The Butterfly is for women. The Fly is the model for Men (significantly narrower).