Is Ti the solution?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

Always had an itch for Ti bike frame and instead of adding another N+1, think if maybe having a Ti bike to replace my current bikes would be the answer?

Is there such a thing as a bike that encompasses all of these features? Or am I dreaming rainbows and unicorns.
• Aero
• Lightweight
• Stiff BB section
• Comfy to ride, yet racey
• Frameset to support up to 28C or 32C tires (running tubular)
• Groupset: mechanical and eventually eTAP

Bio: I'm just an avg Joe that loves to climb, sprint and ride long distance. love to build my own bikes and enjoy the ride afterwards. but over the years, getting old, bad knees and back, so climbing with a 34/32T or even 34/36T is more enjoyable for my knees than with a 30t or less. Height and weight wise, i'm at 5'7" (long ass arms) and 153lbs (10.9 stone)

Current steeds are:
• 2011 Scott Addict R1 – very comfy to ride, not overly stiff to climb with. 14lbs now.
• 2017 BMC TMR02 – harsh yet stiff ride, but damn fast. 16lbs now.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Trek Domane SLR, 10sp sram red wifli with xx 207gr 36t cassette for lightweight.

Or trek domane sl and shimano ultegra di2 (disc/rim) with a 34t cassette.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Well, aero and lightweight ain’t gonna happen on a Ti frame. I like Ti because I like to be different and not ride what everyone else is riding. If you own a carbon bike your bike gets outdated pretty quickly because the newer model is always lighter, stiffer, and more colorful. Owning a Ti bike I don’t have the urge to upgrade. And lastly in Ti you can have a custom bike tailor made for you less expensively than a custom carbon bike. Prices for a custom Ti bike and a high-end production carbon bike should be comparable. Bottom line is you have to weigh the pros and cons of Ti and decide whether the trade offs are suitable for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

addictR1

by addictR1

thanks pdlpsher1... u see this is what happens when i subscribe to "Show me your Ti bikes".....

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

If you are curious about owning a Ti bike just buy a used one online. There is a good supply of older Ti bikes going for extremely low prices. Don’t expect them to be light. There are also inexpensive new bikes that use straight gauge tubing in stock sizes. The German magazine Tour did a Ti bike shootout focusing on the budget minded bikes. That was a great review although I no longer can view it because my app on my phone is broken for some reason and Tour is no longer supporting the English version of their publication. Good luck with your decision.

addictR1

by addictR1

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 12:41 am
If you are curious about owning a Ti bike just buy a used one online. There is a good supply of older Ti bikes going for extremely low prices. Don’t expect them to be light. There are also inexpensive new bikes that use straight gauge tubing in stock sizes. The German magazine Tour did a Ti bike shootout focusing on the budget minded bikes. That was a great review although I no longer can view it because my app on my phone is broken for some reason and Tour is no longer supporting the English version of their publication. Good luck with your decision.
thanks pdlpsher1... yea i've been searching on ebay for my sizing for quite a while. i did see a litespeed T5 that seems to fit the bill. just need to search and see what ppl's reviews are on that, hopefully it won't ride like a noodle either.. originally was thinking TS1L.. but after hearing it's a stiff ride.. i'm swaying away from it.

none

by none

I have been riding Ti frames since 1996, Litespeed, Merlin, Sandvik, Serottas, Ibis, Moots, Yeti, Lynskey,..

My current road bike is a 2001 Litespeed Ultimate that I've been riding since 2004,
over 70k miles ridden on it, still rides the same as the first day I got it.

My current TT bike is a 2001 Litespeed Blade that I've owned since 2008, about 12k miles ridden on it.

My current gravel bike is a Lynskey, since 2017, about 2k miles ridden:

I weight about 165-170 lb., ridden just about any bicycle frame material available, I choose ti frames because:

1. No paint to chip or scratch.

2. Tough as nails, long fatigue life.

3. No rust to worry about, ride it in rain, put it away wet and ride the next day without wash.

4. Lightweight and good ride quality: I don't sprint out of saddle nearly as much as I did 20+ years ago, titanium offers just the right balance between power transfer and comfort for long hours in the saddle.
Last edited by none on Wed May 29, 2019 3:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

romanmoser

by romanmoser

litespeed ultimate the new one
it's aero according to them , at least the downtube ...

titanium even oversized that doesn't try too much too ride like carbon is nice
even compared to a comfortable 27,2mm seat post carbon frame ( super six ), it filters vibration in a different way

and it react like a bow when accelerating at least uphill, you may have a little bit of latence but when it go ...
and I found good ti too be more versatile in behaviour if you want to ride slow it adapt , fast it adapt

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I looked up the Litespeed T5 and I like the geometry. I'm a big fan of longer chainstays, preferably 425mm. This will bring out the best qualities of Ti. You can also find a used or new Lynskey Sportive in a rim brake version. Both the T5 and the Sportive are in the Gran Fondo geometry category. Both will give you a smooth riding experience and bring out the best of Ti. The racier versions like T1SL probably ride similar to a carbon bike. If you are gonna get a heavier bike, you might as well put the extra weight in good use. There's little point in getting a new bike that rides just like your existing bikes. Here's a review I found on the Sportive, which basically sums up the riding experience of a Ti.

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes ... lideshow=1

Bordcla

by Bordcla

Are these bikes truly as sturdy/indestructible as the web would have us believe?

I enjoy my current carbon bikes, but I have to say that their planned/rapid obsolescence, vulnerability to impact or crushing damage and fragility for traveling, together with their high price, have me thinking my next bike should probably be an indestructible ti all-road bike of some sort.

addictR1

by addictR1

Bordcla wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 2:58 am
Are these bikes truly as sturdy/indestructible as the web would have us believe?

I enjoy my current carbon bikes, but I have to say that their planned/rapid obsolescence, vulnerability to impact or crushing damage and fragility for traveling, together with their high price, have me thinking my next bike should probably be an indestructible ti all-road bike of some sort.
i don't know about indestructible or not. depends on your use case i suppose. marin, a member here, once told me that with his Ti, can just replace different wheelset and off and running.

right now with my steeds to choose from, i have c24 tubular, reynolds 46/72 tubular and kinlin alloy wheelset. so my idea with Ti would be the same thought as marin to have a bike that is versitle and simplicity.

plus i just love the long lasting look of Ti. carbon bikes are sexy no doubt.. but after a couple years, newer tech, better complaince, etc comes about. i'm not a racer, nor plan to race, so the more i think of it the Ti idea makes practical yet simplisitic sense for me.

oh and it doesn't help that a buddy of mine just send me lynskey's link.. looks like they have a lot of Ti on sale. are they going belly up?

Berzin1

by Berzin1

Yes, ti IS the solution. But don't make the mistake of obsessing over frame weight. Ti is not carbon.

The new Lynskey frame I purchased was kicking the scales past the 3 pound threshhold, and this was before I had it painted. Light weight is not what ti is for. It's for durability and that magic titanium ride. With the whole "me too" phenomenon, ti manufacturers started doing dumb things that did nothing to improve the ride quality of their frames, like sloping top tubes and thinner tubing to save weight. And pricing a ti frame close to carbon with the excuse of offering "competetive pricing" is even more stupid.

My new Lynskey ain't a weight weenie frame, but it's a frame I am not going to part with in exchange for whatever the newer, lighter, stiffer frame at the moment is. This one is going to be a keeper.

addictR1

by addictR1

@Berzin1 which model of lynskey did you get?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Flapmeat

by Flapmeat

I have 3 Ti bikes now, all of which are Serottas and each bike rides FAR different from each other. I strongly suggest going for a ride on the exact model you are after before buying. Here's what I have and how they ride...I am 130lbs, ftp is 240w.

2006 Legend Ti SE (ST seatstays)
By far and away the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. It seriously feels like a magic carpet. I feel nothing on this bike. Bb is reflective of this...a bit mushy. This was the first Ti frame I bought and was disappointed by the lack of stiffness but the amazingly smooth ride made me happy I bought it. This bike also blew my mind in how different it rode compared to everything else I've ridden.

2011 Classique Ti
Stiff stiff stiff. The most harsh bike I've ridden to date. *f##k* fast, rock solid Bb, but not great for a longer ride. If this was my only bike, I'd end up selling it for something more forgiving. That's really about all I can say about it.

2008 Fierte iT
Basically a baby Ottrott. The perfect balance between stiff BB and smooth ride. Has zero problems sprinting and climbing, yet very comfortable. Not as comfortable as the Legend, but very smooth still. I've contemplated selling the rest of my bikes and only keeping this one because it really is that perfect to me.

Bottom line...test ride before you buy. I didn't ride any of these before I bought them as they were all purchased as framesets.

Berzin1

by Berzin1

addictR1 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 6:35 am
@Berzin1 which model of lynskey did you get?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The 2019 R480.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com