Lightweight Disc bike mid-range?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Lewn777

by Lewn777

RedbullFiXX wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 10:06 pm
Lewn777 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 3:32 pm
RedbullFiXX wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 7:19 pm
Lewn777 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 11:28 am
A problem is manufacturers claimed weight. They say 6.8kg. Maybe that's without paint in XS size, no PM, no pedals, no computer, no computer mount, no bottle cages. A 6.8kg claimed weight could easily turn into 7.5kg or far more in real life on the road in size M.

Personally I like to think the bikes weight is as ridden, same as GCN's pro bike checks.

So by this analysis anything under 7kg is light. Thing is you're never really going to get a disk bike under 7kg without some weenie parts that aren't going to be durable enough for confident enduro type riding or some very clever component choices and lots of money. You want light for cheaper go tubs and rims.
Not true
My Size S Ulitmate Disk is 6.8kg, Canyon weights have been spot on for the 2 I have
2 Bottle cages, computer mount incl
No weight weenie parts either

I'm sure there are other "LW" Disc bikes out there
Bikes are progressing
Come on add pedals it's 7.1kg, and if you were a normal size near 7.5kg.
Just under 6.8 in fact, size sm is similar to a 54, one of the most populars sizes sold
Ready to ride, not making this up
Try buying some scales and stop guessing.
https://bikerumor.com/2018/06/06/review ... road-bike/
The bike according to the above review weighs 7.73kg without pedals, computer and bottle cages. Therefore lightest real world weight is going to be around 8.1kg. Why you feel the need to make up facts and talk baloney on the internet is beyond me, it just misleads people. :roll:

By the way it's a really nice looking bike, love the aerobar and paint etc, but it's just too heavy for my taste.

by Weenie

MoPho

by MoPho

Lewn777 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:08 pm
Why you feel the need to make up facts and talk baloney on the internet is beyond me, it just misleads people. :roll:

Pot to kettle :roll:

RedbullFiXX

by RedbullFiXX

The bike according to the above review weighs 7.73kg without pedals, computer and bottle cages. Therefore lightest real world weight is going to be around 8.1kg. Why you feel the need to make up facts and talk baloney on the internet is beyond me, it just misleads people. :roll:

By the way it's a really nice looking bike, love the aerobar and paint etc, but it's just too heavy for my taste.
It is a nice bike, but the link you posted is Ultegra kit, not Sram etap
Do you need a photo of the bike on a scale, would you believe that ?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

My 54cm Emonda SLR Disc weighs 6.4kg with tubeless clinchers, Vector 3s, Garmin Blendr mount and bottle cages. The only truly weight weenie part is the XXX saddle. I love how Lewn777 keeps making shit up.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

RedbullFiXX wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:40 pm

OK SRAM Red -200g = 7.9kg. Next.

RedbullFiXX

by RedbullFiXX

Back to the OP, what do you consider mid-range :)

RedbullFiXX

by RedbullFiXX

Lewn777 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 12:51 am
RedbullFiXX wrote:

The 8.0 is just a lower level bike, Aluminum Cosmic wheels are seriously heavy too

Lewn777

by Lewn777

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 12:04 am
My 54cm Emonda SLR Disc weighs 6.4kg with tubeless clinchers, Vector 3s, Garmin Blendr mount and bottle cages. The only truly weight weenie part is the XXX saddle. I love how Lewn777 keeps making shit up.
Last time I checked an Emonda wasn't made by Canyon. Nice attempt at Red Herring argument, but Ultimately a fail. :roll:

There's even a post of a weenie version with one cage light speedplays, alloy cabling here and it's 7kg. I'll bet a normal medium DISC Trek Emonda SLR 8 out of the box, plus pedals plus computer/mount plus cages is 7.5kg at best. Same goes for Canyon disk. You can lie and exaggerate all you like, but it won't really work, some people are honest and own scales, so the truth will be known eventually. :thumbup:
viewtopic.php?t=147302

Lewn777

by Lewn777

RedbullFiXX wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 12:54 am
Lewn777 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 12:51 am
RedbullFiXX wrote:

The 8.0 is just a lower level bike, Aluminum Cosmic wheels are seriously heavy too
I'll be generous -400g not Cosmic wheels, something better = 7.5kg.
Where you lubed up and got 6.8kg from I have no clue. Wishful thinking isn't fact.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Hi!
I'm probably American.
My bike is a disk brake bike, I'm desperately insecure about it being the best bike ever, it has top of the range components.
I weighed it about 7kg out of the box, then it weighs about 7.5kg on the road including pedals, computer and cages.

That seems heavy so, instead of just being honest about it I'll lie and quote the weight from the manufacturers website that quotes a size in extra small without, paint and tires etc and claim my bike weighs that on the road, when anyone with Google and half a brain can disprove me in two minutes. :roll:

-Or-

Hi!
I'm probably American.
My bike is a disk brake bike, I'm desperately insecure about it being nealy the best bike ever, it has nearly top of the range components like Ultrega.
I weighed it about 8kg out of the box, then it weighs about 8.5kg on the road including pedals, computer and cages.

That seems heavy so, instead of just being honest about it I'll lie and quote the weight from the manufacturers website that quotes a size in extra small without, paint and tires etc and claim my bike weighs that on the road, when anyone with Google and half a brain can disprove me in two minutes. :roll:

Lewn777

by Lewn777

To the OP:
A high end disk brake bike at best weighs about 7kg out of the box and 7.5kg with pedals etc.
A mid-range disk bike range bike with Ultrega for example weighs 7.5-8kg out of the box and 8-8.5kg with pedals etc.

Of course bikes can be wennied-down and manufactuers claim weights without paint in extra small without pedals some times tires or all consumables. Some of the weights being thrown around on here are in my view stupidity.

If you like a bike with great brakes but weighs 500g or so less on average a rim brake bike with direct mount brakes and or a coated rim brake surface on alloy wheels or if you really want disk brakes upgrade a disk brake bike to have carbon climbing tubs.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Lewn777 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 1:03 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Last time I checked an Emonda wasn't made by Canyon. Nice attempt at Red Herring argument, but Ultimately a fail. :roll:

There's even a post of a weenie version with one cage light speedplays, alloy cabling here and it's 7kg. I'll bet a normal medium DISC Trek Emonda SLR 8 out of the box, plus pedals plus computer/mount plus cages is 7.5kg at best. Same goes for Canyon disk. You can lie and exaggerate all you like, but it won't really work, some people are honest and own scales, so the truth will be known eventually. :thumbup:
viewtopic.php?t=147302
He weighed his Emonda H2 with the stock Montrose Elite saddle. That weighs 220g. One of my XXXs weighs 67g and the other weighs 72g. He’s also using cheap Aeolus 3 Pros, which weigh 1650g without tape. My 202 NSWs weigh 1477g with tape and valves. I also ride an H1 frame with a really short headtube and slammed stem/steerer. He’s using Bontrager R3 Hardcase Lite tires and tubes which weigh a minimum 205g+80g x2. I’m using Fusion 5 Galactik TLRs at 220g+30g of sealant x2. I’m using Shift-Up bolt-on TAs...he’s using standard Bontrager/DT Swiss RWS TAs. I use 165mm Red cranks, eTap and Blackburn Cinch cages.

I’ve weighed my Emonda and it is indeed 6.4kg.

My Madone with Prismatic Pearl paint, 60mm wheels, heavy Continental GP5K TL tires, heavier Bontrager Pro cages and a 230g Selle SMP Blaster Carbon weighs 7.9kg.

To everyone else, just ignore Lewn777. It’s fine if he prefers rim brakes for “reasons.” It’s not fine when he fills gaps in his knowledge with baseless assumptions. It’s even worse if he is intentionally lying to people who just want a straight answer.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Tue May 14, 2019 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Check out WCB-R-093, the frame is "890±40g( size 54)" and fork is very light (mine's 303g cut). It runs a 27.2mm seatpost too, so no heavy proprietary post like on Tarmac to offset light frame. You can ask Workswell to pick the lightest from stock too. With weenies parts, this frame should rival most of expensive bikes mentioned above. Some weenies left feedback on it in the open mold (the "FM066") thread.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 2:43 am
Lewn777 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 1:03 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=147302
He weighed his Emonda H2 with the stock Montrose Elite saddle. That weighs 220g. One of my XXXs weighs 67g and the other weighs 72g. He’s also using cheap Aeolus 3 Pros, which weigh 1650g without tape. My 202 NSWs weigh 1477g with tape and valves. I also ride an H1 frame with a really short headtube and slammed stem/steerer. He’s using Bontrager R3 Hardcase Lite tires and tubes which weigh a minimum 205g+80g x2. I’m using Fusion 5 Galactik TLRs at 220g+30g of sealant x2. I’m using Shift-Up bolt-on TAs...he’s using standard Bontrager/DT Swiss RWS TAs. I use 165mm Red cranks, eTap and Blackburn Cinch cages.

I’ve weighed my Emonda and it is indeed 6.4kg.

My Madone with Prismatic Pearl paint, 60mm wheels, heavy Continental GP5K TL tires, heavier Bontrager Pro cages and a 230g Selle SMP Blaster Carbon weighs 7.9kg.

Lewn777. It’s fine if he prefers rim brakes for “reasons.” It’s not fine when he fills gaps in his knowledge with baseless assumptions. It’s even worse if he is intentionally lying to people who just want a straight answer.
I'm really not talking about your after market heavily weenied down bike. I'm talking about what these bikes ACTUALLY weigh stock out of the box and then with pedals etc added. What the consumer will purchase in the real world.

You're telling people that 'my Trek Emonda weighs 6.4kg', but you're not relling them you weenied the heck out of it totally misleading people into thinking they'll get something totally different to what they are buying from Trek stock.

Anyway I thought your Selle SMP drop nose saddle was the best thing ever, not some 79g weenie one.

So you weighed your bike and it was 6.4kg. I weighed mine the other day it was 3.5kg, then I put the wheels back on it. :D

Someone with zero objectivity tells people to ignore me, like an appeal to reason. You're totally full of shit yourself.

tomtom

by tomtom

My Canyon Aeroad disc (Shimano 9150/8070) SL size M is a little under 7,5kg with Garmin mount, pedals and bollte cages (Berk Saddle :-)). Also it has "heavy" DT Swiss 62mm aero disc wheels......and "heavy" Aero/Oval blades (much heavier then stock Shimano!).

@redbullfixx; size S is for sure not the most size sold by Canyon!
Canyon CF SLX Di2 2018
Canyon Aeroad CF SL Di2 Disc 2017
Canyon Speedmax CF Ultegra Di2 2015

by Weenie