Quarq DZero BB30 Installation on Specialized OSBB (Venge)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ill principe

by ill principe

I´m trying to install a Quarq DZero BB30 on my Specialized Venge 2019 frameset. The frame came with Ceramic Speed BB30 bearings pre-installed. I can´t seem to find online instructions for a regular BB30 installation (only BB30A for Cannondale, BBright, BB386 EVO). When installing with the provided ~13mm drive side spacer and the 4,8mm spacer and preload adjuster on NDS I still get a lot of play. The only other provided spacer is a NDS 3,2mm which doesn´t look enough to remove the play.

Anyone with previous experince installing Quarq BB30 cranks on Specializeds with latest iteration of OSBB (BB30 bearings in alloy sleeve bonded to the carbon)?

I have a Rotor spacer (10mm) from a 3D+ crank that could possibly replace the 4,8 NDS spacer and sit inboard of the preload adjuster. My concern regarding such a solution is the uncertainty whether the chainline is OK.

EDIT Another 2,5mm spacer is included, could work with the 3,2mm on NDS, provided chainline is correct.

Rotor spacer
Current:
S-Works SL8 RTP (build in progress) | Diverge Comp Carbon

Retired:
S-Works SL7 | S-Works Venge | Ultimate CF SLX Mk IV | Ultimate CF SLX Mk III | S5 | R3 | Cento | ...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

I just built up an SL6 with Quarq BB30 and hit a spot of bother too.

Ended up running an 11mm spacer on both the DS and NDS I think... I binned off the preload spacer since they're not needed if spacced correctly.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

ill principe

by ill principe

Thanks for the input!

When putting 4,8mm - 3,2mm -preload adjuster - 2,5mm on NDS and 13mm on DS I still had minor play which could be eliminated with a turn of the preload adjuster.

My only remaining concern is that the DS crank arm is a few millimeters closer to the chainstay compared to NDS. But since the instructions I mentioned in my first post all only have 13mm spacer on DS and different stacks on NDS depending on BB shell width I´m hoping thats OK.
Current:

Retired:
S-Works SL7 | S-Works Venge | Ultimate CF SLX Mk IV | Ultimate CF SLX Mk III | S5 | R3 | Cento | ...

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

I have the SL6 in this weekend so will get out my digital calipers and measure it up for you.

Almost certain it was a Quarq supplied 11 or 13mm spacer each side.

dvq

by dvq

For the quarq, you need the 13mm spacer on the drive side and the 4.84mm spacer on the nondrive side + preload adjuster.
DS arm/spider -> 13mm spacer -> bottom bracket -> preload adjuster -> 4.84mm spacer -> NDS arm.

That's how mine is and everyone elses, that's also the correct chainline.

ill principe

by ill principe

My issue is that with "13mm spacer on the drive side and the 4.84mm spacer on the nondrive side + preload adjuster" I get massive side to side play. See picture 2 above, where the preload adjuster is at max extension.

I measured everything to make sure I´m not missing anything obvious.
106mm Crank axle (from NDS bonded cone to end)

17mm spacer stack on NDS (4,8mm - 3,2mm -preload adjuster - 2,5mm spacer)
64mm bearing left-to right outer face (makes sense since BB shell is 68).
13mm DS spacer

The grooves for the splines on the spider is 12mm deep. Which equals the remaing protrusion (splines) of the axle when mounting per above.
Current:

Retired:

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

From the SRAM Road crankset manual 2017 Rev C page 15. See the part highlighted in green, which according to the legend at the bottom of the page mean you're supposed to measure something but with no further instructions provided…
Screenshot 2019-05-10 at 09.47.06.png
However, didn't SRAM introduce a longer BB30 axle when the Quarq DZero power meters were released in order to make them compatible with BB386EVO framesets? If you have this longer axle, it looks like additional spacers are indeed required.

jlok

by jlok

MayhemSWE wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:55 am
From the SRAM Road crankset manual 2017 Rev C page 15. See the part highlighted in green, which according to the legend at the bottom of the page mean you're supposed to measure something but with no further instructions provided…

Screenshot 2019-05-10 at 09.47.06.png

However, didn't SRAM introduce a longer BB30 axle when the Quarq DZero power meters were released in order to make them compatible with BB386EVO framesets? If you have this longer axle, it looks like additional spacers are indeed required.
It's seems to be not telling you to measure anything, but specifically refer to SRAM Wide Axle cranks for OLD135. But I have no idea how to identify any Quarq crank as wide axle. If you google it you will find Wide Axle relates to non-series cranks or Rival crank.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Don't get confused with the naming of a BB30 Quarq, it isn't.

A true BB30 has a 68mm wide shell and 30mm ID bearings.

The BB30 DZero's are only called this due to having 30mm spindles. They have longer spindles to accommodate the wide range of modern BB widths, thus extra spacers are required when using on a OSBB / BB30 frame.

SRAM produce a true BB30 DZero Red Quarq with a shorter spindle, but the common DZeros have the long spindle.

cerro

by cerro

Do you got a set of bearing covers too? The Specialized Venge i a standard BB30 but is not including the bearing covers as it follows the S-Works crank. The Quarq crank doesn't include bearing covers as it follows the bb...

So bearingcover and the big spacer on the right side. Bearingcover and the preload and plastic thing sitting on your crank on the left and you will be fine.

ill principe

by ill principe

Thanks @cerro, that makes a lot of sense! Unfortunately these bearing covers wasn´t included among all the small parts that followed the frameset.
Current:

Retired:

billspreston

by billspreston

I ran into this same problem and what cerro said is exactly correct. You need the bearing shields - I used the SRAM BB30 ones. It will take up all the slack you are seeing.

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

ryanw wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:14 am
SRAM produce a true BB30 DZero Red Quarq with a shorter spindle, but the common DZeros have the long spindle.
False, there are no short spindle 30mm Quarq arms.

Roadrunnernorth

by Roadrunnernorth

Installing a sram red bb30 crankset into venge 2019 frame, what spacers are required except the preload adjuster?

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Roadrunnernorth wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:52 pm
Installing a sram red bb30 crankset into venge 2019 frame, what spacers are required except the preload adjuster?
First, a question... I'm going to assume you mean a Quarq Red based on the thread. There is also a SRAM Red, but it doesn't have a power meter and is a true BB30 length spindle (short, fits 68mm shell only).

Beyond that, it depends on if you have an external cup BB or just have bearings pressed into the shell.
If you have an external cup BB, all you need is the expander.
If you have pressed in bearings, you need the 13mm drive side spacer, and the expander and the 4.84mm on the NDS.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com