Any news on potential 2020 TCR SL update?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Nice look to the new head tube \ spacers ...

However, that cable routing, FB under RB lines, leaves me with some questions :shock:
Just ride ..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spartan

by spartan

i think that frame is 2019 NOT the new one
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

spartan wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:34 am

Doesn’t the current TCR have some sharp corners/edges on inside of the HT/TT junction? This looks smooth.

JayDee81

by JayDee81

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:52 am
spartan wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:34 am
Doesn’t the current TCR have some sharp corners/edges on inside of the HT/TT junction? This looks smooth.
Looks new to me. Checked photos of the current TCR and the HT/TT area looks different.

chiumomo

by chiumomo

Definitely new, the current version doesn't have any cable entry on the downtube.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Ever since seeing the new TCR a few months ago, I’ve been surprised that two aspects of the old model were retained. The DT still looks like it has a “squoval” cross-section instead of a Kamm / D-shaped one. The ISM with short topper/cap vs a traditional seatpost or a no-cut ISM like the current Trek Emonda uses (but the next probably won’t.)

JayDee81

by JayDee81

Any info on possible release date? I am looking to buy my first true road bike and the TCR is hot favorite. Currently I'd buy the Ultegra rim brake model with carbon rims and a power meter, but maybe it would be worth it to wait for the new frame, if they keep prices (or just a slight increase) and builds?

Bagz

by Bagz

JayDee81 wrote:Any info on possible release date? I am looking to buy my first true road bike and the TCR is hot favorite. Currently I'd buy the Ultegra rim brake model with carbon rims and a power meter, but maybe it would be worth it to wait for the new frame, if they keep prices (or just a slight increase) and builds?
Likely to be around August to go on sale around October.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

JayDee81

by JayDee81

Bagz wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:52 pm
JayDee81 wrote:Any info on possible release date? I am looking to buy my first true road bike and the TCR is hot favorite. Currently I'd buy the Ultegra rim brake model with carbon rims and a power meter, but maybe it would be worth it to wait for the new frame, if they keep prices (or just a slight increase) and builds?
Likely to be around August to go on sale around October.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk
Guess I will get the current one if the new one will be out at the end of the season. Maybe get another new bike when new Ultegra goes out in a few years.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I would bet on the major brands releasing bikes earlier in the season as road bike sales volume has been in continuous decline AND the global trade war is losing the industry hundreds of millions. You might see some bikes announced at the TDU, and others start to trickle out in March.

For a first road bike, then you probably don’t have much in the way of legacy wheels. Why not consider disc?

Also as far as the Giant TCR is concerned, the upcoming model seems so derivative of the current version, that yeah, not real point in waiting of that’s what you want.

chorus88

by chorus88

Serge Pauwels (MY16) vs Michał Paluta (MY21)
MY21: NEW ISP seatclamp
When Technology Becomes Emotion
2023 Tarmac SL7 Expert R8100 (90622-3352)

JayDee81

by JayDee81

Currently I ride road on a gravel bike Norco Search A 2017, which has mechanical disks, which I'd say are on par with rim brakes of my mates (on carbon rims). Where I live we don't do much braking, because the terain is what it is and I ride in the wet only when the rain catches me out. I have a lot of experience with hydraulic brakes from MTB and I think I can do pretty good without them on a road bike and rim brakes will mean less tinkering too (some caliper's just don't self center well). Also I was at my local Giant dealer and he weight the disc version of the ML TCR I am interested in and it was 7.95 kg, which is pretty much. The rim brake version should be more than 600 g lighter and 150 or 200 g of that in the wheels. In the end I also like the look and simplicity of a rim brake road bike more, which makes me not want the disc version even though they offered it for the same price as the rim brake version (which they'd have to order).

Dan112

by Dan112

JayDee81 wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:50 pm
Currently I ride road on a gravel bike Norco Search A 2017, which has mechanical disks, which I'd say are on par with rim brakes of my mates (on carbon rims). Where I live we don't do much braking, because the terain is what it is and I ride in the wet only when the rain catches me out. I have a lot of experience with hydraulic brakes from MTB and I think I can do pretty good without them on a road bike and rim brakes will mean less tinkering too (some caliper's just don't self center well). Also I was at my local Giant dealer and he weight the disc version of the ML TCR I am interested in and it was 7.95 kg, which is pretty much. The rim brake version should be more than 600 g lighter and 150 or 200 g of that in the wheels. In the end I also like the look and simplicity of a rim brake road bike more, which makes me not want the disc version even though they offered it for the same price as the rim brake version (which they'd have to order).
Hi thought I'd jump in as I've had both the TCR advanced pro1 disc and TCR advanced pro1 Rim 2019.

I'm now on the Rim after selling my disc due to issues.

But in terms of braking the giant carbon wheels with the giant carbon pads are excellent! The tcr rim was my first ever rim brake bike, I had the tcr disc and prior to that a disc cube attain.

The tcr rim I've had no issues with braking even in the wet on uk roads (I've been caught a few times in the rain now) the giant slr wheels have a kinda grooved surface like u see on zipp nsw but no where near as aggressive but it's enough to still make the brakes work well enough in the wet.

Personally, I run a set of alloy training wheels aswel I picked up cheap but it's nothing to do with the braking proformance it's because I don't fancy added wear on the brake surface through winter on uk roads as they grit the roads here.

My tcr rim and disc are the same size frame, same bars, saddle etc. The only difference is the wheels / tyres my disc had reynold assults 41mm with gp4000, the rim has the standard slr1 42mm with tubeless pro1s. The difference in weight was close to 800g for me as I'm running kcnc QR now which knocks another 100g off.

The rim tcr is excellent I dont regret the change at all.
Attachments
20190616_200456.jpg
20191005_121810.jpg

g32ecs

by g32ecs

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/12/spotted ... e-old-one/

Looks like Cyclingtips is also speculating, unless someone here is from CT themselves ;)

If this is it then the current Pro Disc frameset is awfully tempting at this point. It's the cheapest frame I can find where I can do a decent build without breaking my bank.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shotgun

by shotgun

leejhayward wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:05 pm
So this integrated bar & stem is awesome. Any one have any idea when they'll be available through retail channels? I'm close to pulling the trigger on the Pro Vibe Superlight Aero, but this one would definitely be my preferred combo.

Sharing some photos from my Giant LBS. This was a 42/110cm. Priced around $400USD
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2019-12-18 at 2.54.45 PM(1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-12-18 at 2.54.45 PM(2).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-12-18 at 2.54.45 PM.jpeg
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio