Non-Campy Crankset/Chainrings with Campy 12 Speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

maxwelllarson

by maxwelllarson

Long story short - I am building up a S-works SL6 UL, trying to go a bit ww, but not crazy ww with this one. I was planning on a 1X12 drivetrain (THM SE crankset set up with a Wolf Tooth 50T Cyclocross Dropstop 1X12 compatable chainring), however after install, it became quickly apparent this will not work (chain drops on the stand).

Anyway - I am now going back to a 2X12 setup with this build. I would like to keep my THM SE (if possible), but am unsure if I will run into similar problems. I did read on here recently that RyanH sucessfully used some Praxis 10/11 sp rings on a THM SRM with Record 12 - so I am hopefull. Has anyone else used a non-campy crank and rings with 12 sp and had similar sucess?

Thanks!

bruno2000

by bruno2000

I have used a Rotor 3d+ and Rotor 3d InPower with 12speed Campagnolo EPS and mechanical groupsets with so-called 11speed Rotor Q-rings without any issue.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

Bumping this thread as I am wondering the same thing. A year later, anyone now have additional experience with Campagnolo 12 and third-party chainrings?

Looking to build up a bike with Chorus 12 and want a crank-based power meter, but all the options that takes Campagnolo original chainrings are stupid expensive. As I already have a spare set of Quarq Prime crank arms I'd really like to find a set of rings that can be paired with a DZero or DFour spider…

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

See page 9 of the new campy stuff thread

okx

by okx

bruno2000 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 1:10 pm
I have used a Rotor 3d+ and Rotor 3d InPower with 12speed Campagnolo EPS and mechanical groupsets with so-called 11speed Rotor Q-rings without any issue.
How you managed to setup FD for q-rings?
I have rotor aldhu3d crankset with q-ring and never got it working with campy 12 speed.
I can get same chain line for rotor crankset as campy 12sp, but campy using diferent spacing between sprockets.

synchronicity

by synchronicity

I don't know but I do know that the new 13 speed ekar chain wouldn't even fit onto my 11 speed Stronglight CT2 chainrings.
First time I've ever seen a chain not fit onto me chainrings. God it's narrow.
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

DaveS

by DaveS

I would think that most 11 speed rings would work with Campy 12, since the chain isn't overly narrow. A narrower sram axs chain works with shimano 11 chainrings.

I tried an ekar chain with shimano 11 rings. All I did was drape it over the big ring. It wouldn't fully settle between the teeth.

okx

by okx

DaveS wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:23 pm
I would think that most 11 speed rings would work with Campy 12, since the chain isn't overly narrow. A narrower sram axs chain works with shimano 11 chainrings.

I tried an ekar chain with shimano 11 rings. All I did was drape it over the big ring. It wouldn't fully settle between the teeth.
with campy - rotor combo problem is not the chain, but spacing between sprockets on crankset.

DaveS

by DaveS

If the rotor chain ring spacing is too far apart, I'd contact rotor. I assume the rotor spacing is too wide. Does the chain not drop onto the little ring? If that's the problem then you'll have to wait for them to make 12 speed rings.

I checked my Campy 12 and axs chains more closely today. The space between inner plates is virtually identical, but the width across the outer plates is greater on the Campy chain. I've used them both on campy 12 and shimano 11 cranks. An ekar 13 is about .2mm narrower.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

okx

by okx

DaveS wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:58 pm
If the rotor chain ring spacing is too far apart, I'd contact rotor. I assume the rotor spacing is too wide. Does the chain not drop onto the little ring? If that's the problem then you'll have to wait for them to make 12 speed rings.

I checked my Campy 12 and axs chains more closely today. The space between inner plates is virtually identical, but the width across the outer plates is greater on the Campy chain. I've used them both on campy 12 and shimano 11 cranks. An ekar 13 is about .2mm narrower.
yes, rotor is using wider spacing between crankset sprockets.
I have contacted rotor and they just confirmed, that they oficialy don't have any options for campy 12sp.
And I don't think, that they will make dedicated sprockets for campy, market is just too smal.