Shimano Special grease Dura Ace

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

1415chris

by 1415chris

I am trying to buy a new grease, my old "Special grease Dura Ace" is about to run out. Is Shimano's Premium grease today's equivalent of old Dura Ace one? When typing Dura Ace grease, interner returns Shimano Premium grease. Although I'd prefer to stay with trusty, good quality DA, I don't mind trying something new, if only the quality is at least at the same lave with DA.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Yes it's the same grease. I've been using the Dura Ace grease for wheel bearings but recently I've switched to Finish Line extreme flouro. The Dura Ace grease is super tacky and very good for wet weather protection. But I do almost all of my rides in the dry. If you have concerns about friction you might be interested in these test results.

talltales

by talltales

If price is at all a concern, you may want to try Motorex fett 2000. Its very similar, possibly the same as Shimano Premium grease. Also sold in a smaller tin as Motorex bike grease 2000.

1415chris

by 1415chris

Thanks for confirmation, I would defenitely consider recommended options.

snaxez

by snaxez

I was thinking to buy this: http://www.wychbearings.co.uk/LGHP2x420ml_grease.html Big tub to last for a long time and looks similar to CeramicSpeed Allround Grease

MrMagura

by MrMagura

Unless you're riding in very dry conditions, and are willing to replace the grease very often, the above test shows an insignificant part of the picture.
What mostly causes drag in a bearing, is damage, corrosion, and contamination.
Counting out the wrong amount of grease.
A high load grease that keeps corrosionat bay, and avoids damage to the bearing, is by far superior in the long haul.
If coupled with good seals, of reasonably frequent service, probably as good as it gets.
Look for industrial stuff. Among others, SKF has a grease suitable for the purpose.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

talltales wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 6:32 pm
If price is at all a concern, you may want to try Motorex fett 2000. Its very similar, possibly the same as Shimano Premium grease. Also sold in a smaller tin as Motorex bike grease 2000.
+1 here.
I've been using Motorex 2000 for more than a decade. I tried Muck-Off Bio Grease lately, but I prefer old MOtorex 2000.

Louis :)