Campagnolo Record 12 with TRP Spyre ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

joejack951

by joejack951

pritish8287 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 11:26 pm
Thanks joejack
For the Avid calipers, is there a specific road version? Normal or sl? Any specific reason that bb7 is suggested over Spyres?
Yes, there is a specific road version. It was released ‘back in the day’ when all brake levers pulled roughly the same amount of cable and will work better than a Spyre with your levers due to the optimized cable pull. Then Shimano released SLR-EV levers/calipers which broke that universality and now manufacturers had to go out of their way to support SRAM and Campy (and most chose not to bother).

If the SL fits in your budget go for it. It should perform just like the regular but with slightly lower weight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pritish8287

by pritish8287

Thanks for the responses.

Just went thru Sram’s website for road calipers. They have a BB7, BB7 S and BB7 SL. For BB7 S and SL, it says compatible with SRAM levers while there is no such mention on BB7. Does that mean my only option is the standard BB7?

Are all SRAM road calipers compatible with any SRAM rotors? I am looking to mate it with the HSX centrelocks, 140mm.

morrisond

by morrisond

pritish8287 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 4:53 pm
Thanks again guys.
Morrisond, are you running record 12 with hope rx4 post mounts? What rotors are you using? Will the Rx4s work with 140mm centelock rotors?
Sorry for the dumb questions, this is the very first bike I am building and as you can see I come here with zero knowledge.
I'm using Potenza 11sp but the Hydro parts are indentical.

Yes they will work 140mm Rotors.

You won't be happy with BB7's - they are really old school.

If you don't go RX4's try Juin Tech - They work pretty good with Campy - almost as good as Shimano full Hydro

pritish8287

by pritish8287

Thank you everyone. Highly appreciate the feedback

joejack951

by joejack951

morrisond wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 8:20 pm
Other than being ‘old school’ why do you think he won’t like them?

I used a single BB7 with a 160mm rotor for many thousands of miles on my commuter bike. They work but they do require pad adjustments from both sides which can be a minor annoyance (but at least it is a tool-less adjustment. They are also not as powerful as a hydro or hybrid caliper but they are cheap and fairly light and don’t negate many of the benefits of disc braking (zero rim wear, consistent braking in all weather, long pad life, etc.).

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

I second JoeJack. BB7 Road SL's are imo the best performing mechanical disc calipers available.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

joejack951

by joejack951

pritish8287 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 2:55 pm
Thanks for the responses.

Just went thru Sram’s website for road calipers. They have a BB7, BB7 S and BB7 SL. For BB7 S and SL, it says compatible with SRAM levers while there is no such mention on BB7. Does that mean my only option is the standard BB7?
SRAM and Campy brake cable pulls are and have always been very closely matched. If a caliper works with SRAM, it works with Campy and vice versa.

pritish8287

by pritish8287

So, I stumbled across a flat mount to post mount adapter.
https://www.assolutions.ca/
It seems I can use the Campy hydros with this adapter, the catch being, I need to use the rear 140mm calipers for both, front and rear.

Does anyone see a compatibility issue with using rear calipers on front wheels as long as the adapter allows you to mount them?

So I guess option I is what I just mentioned - this allows an all Campy setup with Least modifications ( I’ll have to check the clearances) option II is going with mechanical and using Avid calipers.

morrisond

by morrisond

joejack951 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 12:48 am
morrisond wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 8:20 pm
Other than being ‘old school’ why do you think he won’t like them?

I used a single BB7 with a 160mm rotor for many thousands of miles on my commuter bike. They work but they do require pad adjustments from both sides which can be a minor annoyance (but at least it is a tool-less adjustment. They are also not as powerful as a hydro or hybrid caliper but they are cheap and fairly light and don’t negate many of the benefits of disc braking (zero rim wear, consistent braking in all weather, long pad life, etc.).
I have had them before and just found the power to be quite lacking and you almost had to adjust them every ride. Spyre's are better as they pistons on each side pushing on the brake pad. BB7's you literally have to warp the rotor to get them to work.

I found good rim brakes way better. But then again I put good rim brakes (and Aluminum rims) basically equal to Shimano Hydro (I have to try latest and greatest though) and SRAM Hydro.

OTH - I think Campy Hydro sets a new standard - it almost has the instant response of Rim brakes with better Modulation and allows a lot bigger wheels/tires which is a big plus.

morrisond

by morrisond

pritish8287 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 12:12 pm
It seems I can use the Campy hydros with this adapter, the catch being, I need to use the rear 140mm calipers for both, front and rear.

Does anyone see a compatibility issue with using rear calipers on front wheels as long as the adapter allows you to mount them?

So I guess option I is what I just mentioned - this allows an all Campy setup with Least modifications ( I’ll have to check the clearances) option II is going with mechanical and using Avid calipers.
Yes - finally someone built these! Yes they should work no problem assuming you have the clearance for the adapters.

The trick will be getting an extra 140mm Caliper. When you order the Record 12 Hydro I don't think you can order it with two rear 140 calipers.

I have looked for Calipers by themselves but have never seen them - Please let us know if you do find them.

If you can't buy a caliper as a spare part Bike24 has a Potenza HO Lever and 140mm Rear Caliper on sale for 109 Euro.

Good luck - If you can do it - I would stick with Campy Levers/Calipers - they work brilliantly.

joejack951

by joejack951

morrisond wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:26 pm
I have had them before and just found the power to be quite lacking and you almost had to adjust them every ride. Spyre's are better as they pistons on each side pushing on the brake pad. BB7's you literally have to warp the rotor to get them to work.

I found good rim brakes way better. But then again I put good rim brakes (and Aluminum rims) basically equal to Shimano Hydro (I have to try latest and greatest though) and SRAM Hydro.

OTH - I think Campy Hydro sets a new standard - it almost has the instant response of Rim brakes with better Modulation and allows a lot bigger wheels/tires which is a big plus.
Sounds like there were significant differences in our set ups. I've used some really nice rim brakes (Ultegra 6600, Dura Ace 7800, 105 5800) on machined Mavic sidewalls and while good in the dry and decent in the wet, I'd take a single BB7 over them any day, at least on a bike that would see rain on a regular basis. BB7s work best when set very tight to the rotor which can mean frequent adjustments but 'every ride' is a huge exaggeration. Every few hundred miles was typical for me and I biked on some quite hilly terrain with a lot of stops, and I only used my front brake.

TRP HY/RDs are better in nearly every way but for a simple brake to match with Campy/SRAM, the BB7 should not be discounted.

pritish8287

by pritish8287

@morrisond
Here's what I intend to do:
Order a UK left hand shifter with 140 mm caliper & a US right hand shifter with 140mm caliper. That way, I'll get 140mm rear calipers on both shifters. The UK shifer is difficult to order here in USA, so, starbike.com should be a good place to start. The adapters will be ordered from Canada.
Let's see if this really works !!!

morrisond

by morrisond

Good idea! That should work.

Prices are way better overseas anyways.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

octav

by octav

morrisond wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:41 pm
pritish8287 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 12:12 pm

Yes - finally someone built these! Yes they should work no problem assuming you have the clearance for the adapters.

The trick will be getting an extra 140mm Caliper. When you order the Record 12 Hydro I don't think you can order it with two rear 140 calipers.

I have looked for Calipers by themselves but have never seen them - Please let us know if you do find them.

If you can't buy a caliper as a spare part Bike24 has a Potenza HO Lever and 140mm Rear Caliper on sale for 109 Euro.

Good luck - If you can do it - I would stick with Campy Levers/Calipers - they work brilliantly.
Anyone tried these adapters? I have a postmount frame and I could get a good price for a H11 Groupset(with flatmount). At the moment I have Super Record with TRP Spyre(not that good :( ) and would like to improve somehow the braking performance and feeling.