Tubular Sealants

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Wookski

by Wookski

Contrary to others I only have positive experience with using sealant in tubulars. Orange seal, bontrager TLR (basically stans with lint-like substance to fill larger gaps) or tune one shot. I have never had a puncture that hasn’t sealed effectively enough to get home, including a large several mm cut which one shot eventually sealed. Even on longer 150km+ rides I rarely carry a spare tubular.

The key is to use tubs with latex inners, apply a liberal amount of sealant and inflate to pressure gradually. I use a 25g iPump mini pump which takes a few mins to inflate a tyre to ~80PSI. This seems to be ideal for allowing the sealant to do its job.

by Weenie

RyanH

by RyanH

@wookski
That's because you're using top rated sealants.

To the OP:
Start with this: https://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Thi ... _4147.html

Pitstop is garbage, throw it away. I don't ride with a spare unless I'm venturing into a remote area with no cell reception. Since Orange Seal doesn't dry out, I've started pre-treating my tubs with it. If I flat, it's time to call an Uber. The only time I flat though is when I wear through my tub, which has happened twice this year and fortunately close-ish to home. Prior to that I went the whole year without a flat (9500 miles) and some change. Up until a few months ago, I did the same as Cal. Orange Seal and a few others work very well.

Actually, I did flat a Veloflex Extreme that was new. Sidewall cut/gash. Sealant wasn't fixing that one. That's the first cut I've had that hasn't sealed since I stopped using Pitstop (1/5 success rate) or the tire wasn't fully worn through with a big gaping hole.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Calnago wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 3:41 am

Oh, I don't mind the process of gluing tubulars at all, it's kind of satisfying in some strange way. But I will admit to hating the process of removing old glue from rims in preparation for a nice fresh glue job. I hate applying new glue over old. But overall, sealant has made the whole event of using tubulars really a non issue for me.
I really enjoyed your post, but only quoted part of it. Who knows if sealant is right for tubs, but i advise skeptics to read cal’s post. There is no one majic answer, but half the battle is knowing the limitation of the tools you are using. Cal is on that.

I run clinchers with latex tubes. I keep my clinchers fresh, and and only ride with a phone as a spare, because i don’t have the time to ride far enough away to not just call for a ride home instead. I have only had to call once, and that was because my gravel bike (tubless) ran over a thick, but short nail. It would not seal, because the nail punctured the rim itself internally!

When others say sealant never helped them... who knows, cause you don’t notice the “no flat.” Just the close calls (i call “spray and prey”) and failures.

Finally, Cal, your zen on the ritual of gluing tubulars is actually part of what has me on the verge of getting tubular as an alternate option (that and vittoria releasing their tubular tires in an updated 2.0 compound, assuming it lives to the marketing hype. I am waiting on independent data). I get a similar zen from setting up my rim brakes 100% as i like them. Disc may be better, but man there is nothing to really adjust, and my rim brakes feel so good when i dial them in.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

RyanH wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 3:35 am
@wookski

To the OP:

Pitstop is garbage, throw it away. I don't ride with a spare unless I'm venturing into a remote area with no cell reception. Since Orange Seal doesn't dry out, I've started pre-treating my tubs with it. If I flat, it's time to call an Uber. The only time I flat though is when I wear through my tub, which has happened twice this year and fortunately close-ish to home. Prior to that I went the whole year without a flat (9500 miles) and some change. Up until a few months ago, I did the same as Cal. Orange Seal and a few others work very well.

Actually, I did flat a Veloflex Extreme that was new. Sidewall cut/gash. Sealant wasn't fixing that one. That's the first cut I've had that hasn't sealed since I stopped using Pitstop (1/5 success rate) or the tire wasn't fully worn through with a big gaping hole.
This!

Pinguin

by Pinguin

I carry a bottle of tufo extreme on my rides,never need it at now,but is it a problem to keep the tufo in a latex tubular?
I have read that the tub can stick together?

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Check on your bottle of sealant once in a while if you go a year or more without puncture. When it happened to me, I realised that the small bottle of orange sealant I had been carrying around for ages actually solidified, same goes for the large bottle back home. Had to whip out my other emergency tool (the phone )

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Pinguin wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:59 am
I carry a bottle of tufo extreme on my rides,never need it at now,but is it a problem to keep the tufo in a latex tubular?
I have read that the tub can stick together?

Tufo extreme sucks in comparison to Orange Seal. It makes a tub stick together, when not cycling for 2 months or so during winter time. It hardens out in the bottle after 6 months , so it sucks. Orange Seal will be usable and remains liquid after 2 years in a bottle. ( still have a 16 Oz bottle and perfect ). And most important it doesn't stick a tub together.

dj97223

by dj97223

RyanH wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 3:35 am
@wookski

To the OP:

In my experience, Pitstop works but can't account for user error.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”