End your BB creak issues with this

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gurk700

by gurk700

I'm sure several people have heard about this but I'll post it anyway as I keep reading threads about BB creak.

This is a PSA. Thanks Owen aka TheDarkInstall for this.

I haven't had any creak issues because I've been using Hambini bottom brackets with all my bikes and install them following his instructions.

Until I got my S-Works SL6. I've had BB30 frames before but never used them with bare BB30 bearings. Always had adapters or integrated BB's. With the SL6, I'm using S-works Power Cranks which don't require any kind of integrated BB or adapter. I've installed Sram BB30's and they started creaking within a week or so. Sram BB30's are not the problem. They are well made and within spec. So I decided to finally give WAKO'S V-160 a shot as I've heard from Owen several times that they work great. Ordered one from Japan on ebay. Reinstalled barings and voila. It's been a month+ with a lot of miles and hard riding. No creaks.

I love BB30 cause it doesn't require a 200 gram integrated BB. Install / Removal is a breeze. It's great that I can use it without the issue creaking.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Says its Rubber Grease. Would this be like a thread sealant of some sort. The description leaves alot to the imagination. I assume this is a Silicone/ Ceramic combination.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

gurk700

by gurk700

bikeboy1tr wrote: Says its Rubber Grease. Would this be like a thread sealant of some sort. The description leaves alot to the imagination. I assume this is a Silicone/ Ceramic combination.
It’s not something made specifically for bikes or bearings at all but it’s a sticky compound (imagine loctite 421 but a little more like paste and stickier). It basically sits between your bearings and frame and stops them from moving (i.e creaking)

It’s not so sticky that you can’t remove the bearings obviously. But enough to hold them in place and prevent creaks.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I wonder if it might be something like Morgan Blue AquaProof Paste. I’ve heard of it before, but have not had any reason to use it. I dunno, something about the name “Wako” just doesn’t sit well with me maybe.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

gurk700

by gurk700

Calnago wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 2:35 am
I wonder if it might be something like Morgan Blue AquaProof Paste. I’ve heard of it before, but have not had any reason to use it. I dunno, something about the name “Wako” just doesn’t sit well with me maybe.
It's a "Brake Protector" I think for rotors in cars etc.

I wouldn't have used it if I didn't have any issues either. A lot of BB / shell combos don't have as big an issue or have some precision issues easily solved with a good brand of BB and Loctite retaining compound.

It's hard to source the Wako's. Though one tube will last me pretty much my whole life so was well worth the wait time from Japan etc.

Aeo

by Aeo

Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

Dan112

by Dan112

Or u could just buy a hope press fit bb.

https://www.hopetech.com/products/drive ... m-bracket/

It's a press fit system that allows the cups to tread into one another that's what I used and it's never creaked since.

More expensive but when it comes to needing new bearings you dont need to replace the whole system like on a normal press fit bb you only need to buy bearings as the cups are alloy

gurk700

by gurk700

Dan112 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 6:08 am

It's a press fit system that allows the cups to tread into one another that's what I used and it's never creaked since.

More expensive but when it comes to needing new bearings you dont need to replace the whole system like on a normal press fit bb you only need to buy bearings as the cups are alloy
I’ll never install anything other than hambini on my bikes. But as I said, on my setup there’s no need to add extra weight with an integrated bb

gurk700

by gurk700

you tested this product? wako’s has been tested and true.

Aeo

by Aeo

gurk700 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 6:54 am
Not on a bike.

It is used in the same spot on an automobile, and consistence looks similar.

If someone could find a spec sheet for the Wakos, please link to it.
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

gurk700

by gurk700

Aeo wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 11:25 pm
gurk700 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 6:54 am
Not on a bike.

It is used in the same spot on an automobile, and consistence looks similar.

If someone could find a spec sheet for the Wakos, please link to it.
I’ll see if the tube has anything when I get home tomorrow. It’s probably in japanese though.
In any case I bought a tube on ebay and it arrived quickly from japan with no issues. it’s pretty pricy for what it is but like i said, if you don’t build couple bikes a month it should last a lifetime.

Dan112

by Dan112

gurk700 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 6:52 am
Dan112 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 6:08 am

I’ll never install anything other than hambini on my bikes. But as I said, on my setup there’s no need to add extra weight with an integrated bb
Fair enough I was running a new ultegra bb and within a few rides it was creaking. I weighed that at 100g and the hope is 112g. For an extra 12g I can live with that.

AJS914

by AJS914

I'm a little skeptical of using super sticky silicone grease for bottom brackets, especially the press fit variety. A grease, no mater how sticky is going to prevent squeaks by allow the bearings to move a little in the PF BB shell. That could be fine on a metal shell but it might contribute to enlarging the bore on a carbon shell.

Using retaining compound to hold the bearings in place without allowing movement still sounds like a better solution.

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Until it comes time to replace the bearings.

Three (or maybe it's four times) I've followed the Cannondale instructions on the use of retaining compound to the letter. Can be super difficult / stressful removing BB's that have been fitted using that process.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gurk700

by gurk700

Double post
Last edited by gurk700 on Tue May 07, 2019 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.