Tubular glue preference?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

Been using Mastik. Saw Schwalbe tubular cement pop up in google search.

Is that easier to remove later on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Mastik one always. Schwalbe glue remover to get it off.

snaxez

by snaxez

Schwalbe should be hearder to get off. Regular Vittoria Mastic One is the best. Last time I used Goo Gone to clean the rims, and it worked much better than acetone.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Nice thread. I would like to know what glue that is easiest to remove. Been on Schwalbe glue lately.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

Definitely the conti carbon glue. Hit it with a hair drier and peel it off, easy peasy. Mastik is a nightmare in comparison, but also seems to create a stronger bond. Conti jobs are easy to pull of at the side of the road and i recently found they require a bit of repair on the spot from time to time. What I mean by this is that on my latest use of it, a 1500km/8months front wheel, I noticed the bond was super easily opened when the tire was completely deflated. About 50% of the length seemed to open up with very minimal finger pressure. I used a toothpick to insert more fresh glue, inflated and checked the next day, seemed all good. Important: I am not sure this is the fault of the glue, or the fault of not having more layers. It was a 3 layer (2 dry one wet on tire as per instructions) job on a clean rim. In fact Vittoria recommend only 3 layers as well; I have a feeling this might only be decent enough but not perfect.

C36

by C36

Taking the opportunity to see if anyone has seen published rolling resistance tests depending of the glue?
I recall an online reading, empirically measuring the difference depending of the glueing strategy and the number of layers and prior the 2008 olympics I saw the summary of the test done by (I think) German Olympic selection... but nothing published :(

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Geoff

by Geoff

+1 for Vittoria Mastik 1.

Yes, Mastik 1 really sticks-on well. In my mind, that is why you would want to use it over other glues that come-off the rim more easily. If the glue job is well done initially, in my experience you will not have to do much to the rim to get it ready to accept a new tire. Just a bit of refreshing with a new layer of glue on the rim (plus the normal preparation of the basetape) and you should be good-to-go.

addictR1

by addictR1

Since I’ve been using tubular, thanks to everyone help and the threads, I’ve always used mastik. I usually do 2 on Veloflex, 2 on rim, then 1 more on Veloflex before mount.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bahn

by bahn

always Vittoria Mastik and to clean up a rim then Effetto Mariposa remover.

Jugi

by Jugi

A Continental glue user here. Started using it because I got some small tubes for free with a couple of tires. It has worked so well I haven’t bothered to look at alternatives.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Vittoria Mastik. As was mentioned, it stays flexible for a long time. Continental glue, not so much... and the specific Continental for carbon rims... I’ve just stayed away from that stuff entirely due to what the few people I know who have tried it said. It’s very smelly and doesn’t create any better of a bond. I’m not sure they even still make or sell it.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Alexandrumarian wrote:...In fact Vittoria recommend only 3 layers as well; I have a feeling this might only be decent enough but not perfect.
Vittoria, at least per the instructions on their box, recommend one thin layer on rim, one thin layer in base tape, let cure, then one more thin layer on rim and mount the base tape.
So, two thin layers on rim, one on the base tape. Your thumbs will be sore upon removal. And that’s been my goto method, except maybe if the base tape is super absorbent thick cotton (Continental), in which case I will use two layers instead of one on the base tape.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

Calnago wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 6:18 pm
Alexandrumarian wrote:...In fact Vittoria recommend only 3 layers as well; I have a feeling this might only be decent enough but not perfect.
Vittoria, at least per the instructions on their box, recommend one thin layer on rim, one thin layer in base tape, let cure, then one more thin layer on rim and mount the base tape.
Yes, that is what I meant by 3 layers. Myself I've used the 5 layers thing (2, 2, 1) with Mastik but I also sand and file the basetape to open that seal wash which I don't trust. I think the most solid bond I saw so far was mastik on an already used/glued rim (what Geoff said above). So basetape painted and dried, then a fresh layer over the old rim glue, install.

The Conti carbon is still produced and sold. I still use it for some reasons, mainly because I was not yet 100% sold on mastik being a major pain to clean. Recent experience seems to point that a couple of leftover layers are not detrimental, maybe on the contrary. A bit of extra weight, ok, but let's not go crazy.

So now that I don't want to clean the rim for every new tire, I might let go the Conti. As I've said above, the cleanup is ultra easy with a bit of heat. It peels off beautifully. That actually should scare me. My hill rides have pretty steep and narrow roads and I am over 90, I often heat the rims pretty good.

Ebruner

by Ebruner

Vittoria.

Rex

by Rex

Tried Mastik Pro and it is so much easier and quicker to apply. I feel 100% confident riding on it aswell. Remains to be seen how easy/difficult to remove, but I won't be completely cleaning the rim when it comes to replace the tub.

The process of installation of Mastik 1 isn't a lot of fun, neither is the clean-up.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com