Speedplay cleat problems

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

raggi

by raggi

Hi, might be a rookie problem on my end, but here goes.

Ordered a pair of speedplay pedals+cleats and I'm having a hardest time getting the cleats fitted to my S-works 6 shoes..

Once the base plate is on, with what I think is the correct shims (6F/6R), there is no way that I can screw the bottom plate to the base plate, probably due to the base plate flexing?

I can screw the bottom plate to the base plate just fine before attaching the base plate to the shoe.

Anyone have an idea of what it could be? Wrong base plate placement on the shoes? Do I need different shims other than the ones that were supplied with the cleats?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rlanger

by rlanger

There are tiny little nuts that are inside the holes of the base plate that the cleat screws into.

First, make sure that the nuts are there (they can fall out). And second, make sure that they are pushed all the way in, i.e. closest to the end of the baseplate that the cleat screws into.

Give that a shot.

raggi

by raggi

Thanks, ill take a look at that, but wouldnt that also give me problems when the base plate isnt attached to the shoe?

coresare

by coresare

When you use the shims, does the curve of the baseplate match the shoe's curve perfectly?

wilwil

by wilwil

You may have to use the tiny shims to get a perfect curve

rlanger

by rlanger

raggi wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 3:07 pm
Thanks, ill take a look at that, but wouldnt that also give me problems when the base plate isnt attached to the shoe?
That's true it might, but it's still worth a shot.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Whit3Nitro

by Whit3Nitro

Hey, I had this problem with my sidi shoes I bought the other day. The base plate had flexed wich meant it didn’t line up with the cleat plate. Try screwing in each screw a few turns at a time. Worked for me.