Crank Alignment Issue

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kafreeman

by kafreeman

I've got a Trek Crockett that always seems to have some kind of issue when I go messing with the crankset.

Started off with a 105 compact crank on it that hit the drive side chain stay while riding. Pulled the shimano bearing out moved to a Wheels Mfg bb press together bb and added spacers on the drive side to stop the interference. When i pulled the crank it had significant wear on the NDS of the axle, which says the bearings may be misaligned.

Picked up a Rotor 3d24 + p2max crank with 170mm arms and praxis 46/36 chainrings and now I have front derailleur interference on the crank arm, and plenty of space between the crank and the chainstay with no spacer.

I tried swapping to a 8000 derailleur from the 6800 and if anything it may be worse.

Do i have a problem with bearing shell alignment to the frame? Q factor on the Rotor is listed at 148, Shimano 146. Shimano has more sculpting where the rotor is more or less straight.

Same crank with longer arms at 172.5 on a Giant TCR has no issues, though it does have 52/36 rings which moves the derailleur up.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

What year is your frame? Have you checked with the recommended components for your frame?

I'm wondering if it's alloy and what kind of bb shell it has. bb90?

Does your crocket support a front derailleur? I see many run as 1x.

What about mtb cranks? They have huge Q.

Maybe also measure the bb shell width to see if it gives us any clues.

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

i have an allingment issue with my 2019 crocket. running a force 1 gxp drank and sram gxp pressfit BB. ample clearance between crank arm and chainstay on drive side, but only have about 2mm clearance on the non drive side. havent had any other issues with function. Need to take some measurements next time i have the BB removed.

kafreeman

by kafreeman

alcatraz wrote:What year is your frame? Have you checked with the recommended components for your frame?

I'm wondering if it's alloy and what kind of bb shell it has. bb90?

Does your crocket support a front derailleur? I see many run as 1x.

What about mtb cranks? They have huge Q.

Maybe also measure the bb shell width to see if it gives us any clues.
2017... BB86 shell, its an alloy frame.

These years came supplied with FSA or SRAM cranks.

Front is supported by a band on unit.

Edit... FSA Energy Cross 46/36 or SRAM Force CX1.

Crockett 5 was 105 2x and Crockett 7 went to a 1x.

kafreeman

by kafreeman

wpccrunner wrote:i have an allingment issue with my 2019 crocket. running a force 1 gxp drank and sram gxp pressfit BB. ample clearance between crank arm and chainstay on drive side, but only have about 2mm clearance on the non drive side. havent had any other issues with function. Need to take some measurements next time i have the BB removed.
I could understand if the clearance was low in the same spot... bit seems like it moved.

I'll throw that 105 crank in again to see if it still has no clearance on the DS.

If I got on it it contacted the chainstay every turn. Soft riding it cleared. There was enough frame deflection for contact to occur.