Quick Mallorca 312 Observations

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sethjs

by sethjs

Been cycling around Mallorca the last week and did the 312 (err...167 version) on Saturday. Quick observations:

1. Lots and lots of disc brakes. Probably at 50/50.

2. Surprisingly little Campy - like 1 in 10 to 1 in 20. Coming from the US, I was surprised.

3. Specialized and Trek are most ubiquitous. Followed by Canyon. Not a lot of Pinarello nor Colnago.

4. Insanely great riding out here!

dgasmd

by dgasmd

sethjs wrote: 2. Surprisingly little Campy - like 1 in 10 to 1 in 20. Coming from the US, I was surprised.

3. Specialized and Trek are most ubiquitous. Followed by Canyon. Not a lot of Pinarello nor Colnago
I am equally surprised every time I go to Spain, Italy, or France to ride. Most times over the years I’ve seen zero Campagnolo anything!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

Are there lots of locals cycling around Mallorca or is it mostly cycling tourists on rental bikes?

Lewn777

by Lewn777

When you go to 'real' Spain you see lots more Orbeas being the local brand, and Giant.
Lots of people rent in Mallorca, so some of the bikes are simply what the rental companies are renting. Many of the the rental places aren't run by Spanish but Brits and Germans, so you get lots of Canyon etc. Still hardly ever see many Campagnolo equiped bikes though.

micky

by micky

We're in 2019 and there's still people thinking in old EU Campagnolo would be a common sight.
Not trying to be funny to the original poster, but it happens to be asked to me pretty often even nowdays when Im travelling.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Not even in Italy is. OEM bikes are specced the same all over the world. And they’re mostly made in Asia. That applies to Europe as well.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

northshore

by northshore

I also did the 312 the other day.

8000 riders, and lots of them Mallorcan. They seemed to be the ones bombing the descents. Surprised so many wore the "official" jersey - made it seem like everyone was in an enormous club.

I liked seeing full TT aero helmets in the heat, roadies with camelbaks, and a couple of MTB/fatbike heroes.

300km of closed roads with that awesome scenery was incredible, with supportive locals cheering along the road. Everyone should try this ride once.

sethjs

by sethjs

I guess I assumed more Campy in Europe because I'd thought the local prices were lower than in the US. Perhaps not. The OEM spec driving the scene makes sense.

Agree on the Mallorca 312 impressions. I was super surprised how many people wore the jersey. And that they manage to close the roads for the entire route is just mind blowing. Also - compared to Levi's in Santa Rosa - the ride stays much more tightly spaced. Might be because there's less very steep climbing.

Lots of people at the 312 looked to be on their personal bikes. Riding around the week beforehand - tons of cyclists everywhere. Mix of rentals and personal bikes.

Mallorca's the most cycling friendly culture / location I've visited, hands down. Blows the Dolomites out of the water on that front. And the riding is spectacular and super beautiful, too. Big plus: the descent down the west side of the Puig Major. Probably the best descent I've ever done. Perfect pavement. Curves just tight enough, but barely need your breaks. Just amazing.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

I did it too, came 247th!! Was back in time for work Saturday evening...
But Ultguy came 10th in the shorter race. My mate Juliet fell twice and still managed to be the fastest lady!
Was especially impressed by the Dad and, I guess, 12 yo daughter who did the whole 312 on a tandem...
Less D^^ckeads on the road than the last couple of years, I thought.
Theres an interesting time split you can get on the website which shows the Belgians were the fastest nation, Brits and Irish last. Just thought Id throw that one out there....
Theres only one shop in Mallorca really supporting Campagnolo and 90% are on Shimano, as Sram has a pretty poor reputation here.
Last edited by Leviathan on Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

AJS914 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:24 pm
Are there lots of locals cycling around Mallorca or is it mostly cycling tourists on rental bikes?
Yes, we cycle, but tend to do it out of the main tourist season as we work then...

by 573

AJS914 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:24 pm
From my observations the Swiss and German tourists mainly seem to ride rental Cubes from the large operators whereas other nations seem to split between ~80% riding their own bikes / ~20% on rentals. I parked up next to some lovely bikes while out there last week.

Someone parked a Speedvagen on Lightweights next to my CAAD, it was one of my favourites I spotted while out there:

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

sethjs wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:12 pm
3. Specialized and Trek are most ubiquitous. Followed by Canyon. Not a lot of Pinarello nor Colnago.
While not sure about the statistics for the race, my impression is that overall there were a whole lot more Pinarello's on Mallorca this year than previously. Seemed to be tons of new wannabies buying into the whole Team Sky look. The biggest head-scratcher I saw during my two weeks on the island was an AX-Lightness Vial Evo frameset kitted up with entry-level Mavic wheels and Sram Rival cranks (though some Red parts as well).
northshore wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:52 am
8000 riders, and lots of them Mallorcan. They seemed to be the ones bombing the descents.
At my end of the race, somewhere in the middle of the pack, most riders seemed to have zero descending skill. Not using the drops, constantly scrubbing the brakes, weaving back and forth blocking large parts of the road even though they're not going very fast at all. While I won't claim to be a world class descender I definitely went down faster than 99% of the field and can only remember a single guy passing me (at a trulyu ludicrous speed on the Puig Major descent).

g32ecs

by g32ecs

I based in Palma 2yrs ago and did a loop going West to Serra La Tramuntana and going back and it was the toughest ride I did in EU (I'm from North America). The small kickers accumulate overtime especially the small ramps with 2-3 consecutive switchbacks.

I wish I headed north to hit PM and SC. Maybe I should base in Port De Soller next time.

BTW, do pro teams base in Port De Soller when they do their training camps? I wish to go there in off season one day

petert123

by petert123

573 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:05 pm
Someone parked a Speedvagen on Lightweights next to my CAAD, it was one of my favourites I spotted while out there:
Yes, very nice; campy, and a shallower front wheel, must have been running tubs then.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jugi

by Jugi

g32ecs wrote: BTW, do pro teams base in Port De Soller when they do their training camps? I wish to go there in off season one day
My understanding is that Port de Alcudia is a constant favorite among the pro teams (Sky being a good example).