Caden wheels

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Turrifik

by Turrifik

Appreciate all the feedback. Looks like Caden is a good option all around.
Unfortunately, or maybe not, I ended up pulling the trigger on 80mm DT Swiss ARC1100’s over the holidays.

Surprisingly they were less expensive than Cadens for me in Canada. I will probably run them tubeless. Too bad they’re not as light as cadens 81mm wheels, but the hubs and spokes seem solid. Will have to see come spring.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I am looking at the Caden 38 DB Tubular in the DeCaden version while I currently have the Bora One 35 Tubs that come in at 1290g whereas the Caden is supposedly 1020g in this version.
I put the wheelset in my cart to see what kind of extra charges pop up for shipping to Canada as it appears they cater to the US moreso for currency and shipping. I backed out of the cart as the credit card has an extra 3% charge and the direct deposit was Citibank out of the States which didnt sit well with me in Canada as we get so hosed by US currency but whatever. Not long after I got an email from Ben and I explained all of the above to which he replied that there is a Canadian financial institution that I can use and also in Aus they get screwed over on the extra credit card charges which I completely understand. I am actually surprised that here in Canada we havent seen more merchants charging extra for credit purchases.
Anyway just thinking about selling the Boras and purchasing the Caden for my climbing wheels. Oh and Caden has a great sale on atm.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

Vuong05

by Vuong05

Turrifik wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:27 pm
Unfortunately, or maybe not, I ended up pulling the trigger on 80mm DT Swiss ARC1100’s over the holidays.

Surprisingly they were less expensive than Cadens for me in Canada. I will probably run them tubeless. Too bad they’re not as light as cadens 81mm wheels, but the hubs and spokes seem solid. Will have to see come spring.
I'm also interested in the 80mm DT Swiss ARC 1100 wheelset. Curious to see how you like them vs your Rapides (I also have a pair of Rapides and want something deeper for fast flat rides)

Cheers,
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg) I Specialized Allez Sprint 2022 : Heavy (7.62kg)

Turrifik

by Turrifik

Vuong05 wrote:
Turrifik wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:27 pm

I'm also interested in the 80mm DT Swiss ARC 1100 wheelset. Curious to see how you like them vs your Rapides (I also have a pair of Rapides and want something deeper for fast flat rides)

Cheers,
Will definitely report back once the snow melts. I decided to mount 25mm front and 28mm rear tires. gp5000 S TR.

Be warned, the cross sectional rim profile on the DT site is wrong. It shows 32mm external width at tire, but I measured ~27mm external at rim flange, so felt obliged to go with 25mm tires vs the 28mm that have been running on the Rapides.

As for noticeable aero gains, it will probably be tough for me to distinguish because I just installed new 35cm wide bars on the TMR01. I suspect that will have a bigger effect. I just hope these 80mm wheels are as stable as reviewers suggest. Would like to ride them as much as reasonably possible.

One thing I noted with the CADEN wheel specs - they’re 200g lighter and Ben emphasized the fact that he balances them. Is balancing a big issue for wheels of this depth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I think he balances them to keep the momentum going as long as possible once you get the wheels up to speed. Well balanced wheels roll smoother and that helps brgings last longer. One of the other things with the deeper wheels is valve extenders are longer which means the wheels will be more out of balance. That being said I am running 60 Da wheelset and havent noticed much for out of balance. Just my opinion.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

I had to change the bearings on my DeCadence 49/59 last summer, at about 20k kms. I bought ABEC5 and 3 I think it was, quite good quality ones, but they were both gone again by the winter, (8k kms later).

It does seem as if the light weight is achieved at the expense of small bearings.....

Turrifik

by Turrifik

bikeboy1tr wrote:…. That being said I am running 60 Da wheelset and havent noticed much for out of balance. Just my opinion.
That’s what I’m curious about for the pair of 80mm DT arc 1100 wheels i just bought. Can this be a big deal or noticeable issue?

I suppose it depends on how unbalanced they might be or if the tubeless valve stem they provide is abnormally heavy.

stormless

by stormless

Hello,

the wheelset decadence in 81mm have arrived
more than testing
IMG_5060.jpg
IMG_5060.jpg (60.83 KiB) Viewed 989 times
Attachments
IMG_5061.jpg
IMG_5061.jpg (77.45 KiB) Viewed 989 times
IMG_5062.jpg
IMG_5062.jpg (85.29 KiB) Viewed 989 times
IMG_5063.jpg
IMG_5063.jpg (60.79 KiB) Viewed 989 times

Turrifik

by Turrifik

Thanks for the scale shots. What was the spec weight?

Let us know how you like them and the bullet balancing.

stormless

by stormless

Hello
After 12 months of use and approximately 12,000 kms. The results are positive from my point of view.
the wheels were used on a cervelo S5 in a rather flat region in central France (Orléans). the assembly was in Vittoria Corsa Speed 25mm and Continental GP5000 TDF 25mm. the pressure was at the beginning around 7 bars but I quickly went down to 5.5 bars for more comfort.
the wheels are very pleasant as soon as the speed is above 30 km/h below it is much less pleasant and you have to fight with it.
as said above, I went down to a pressure of 5.5 bars because the great rigidity of the bike + wheels assembly caused me a problem with pain in my shoulders and arms, especially at low speed.
I was very pleasantly surprised by the little side wind resistance of the whole thing despite the rim height. I find very little difference compared to my Zipp 454 NSW. I find that there is even less sensitivity to side wind with the Continental versus the Vittoria. As for the balance of the wheels, I have no point of comparison other than the Zipp 454 NSW and I did not feel a difference. maybe on a big descent with high speeds there is a difference but I have not tested it in these conditions.
I am very satisfied with my purchase.
best regards

Turrifik

by Turrifik

Thanks for the review. I was curious about their bullet balancing. They seemed like great wheels. I ended up going with DT arc 1100’s after all, but I was on the fence. I know what you mean about fighting to accelerate these heavy 80mm hoops, but once above 30-35kmh, they fly.