Build thread Trek Madone SLR Disc and Campa SR mechanic

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Calnago

by Calnago

Yeah, I have the Hozan version. The key to these things is that they butt up against the stop that your working with, in this case it would the edge of the front derailleur arm, allowing you to control the tension smoothly then clamp it down. I’ve actually glued a little piece of Lizard Skin’s “carbon leather” to the edge of the tool that butts up against the component stop so as not to damage the finish of the component.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Calnago wrote:It’s just a tool that allows you to grab a cable, and tension it against its stop relatively easily and precisely, then keep it there while you tighten the bolt down with a wrench in your other hand. Most bicycle tool manufacturers make some variation of it.
That’s what I thought you were referring to. I have one, the Pedro’s version. Just never heard anyone call it that, so just curious.

by Weenie

Calnago

by Calnago

Comes from the expression “Shit!...insert a plethora of other obscenities here... I wish I had four hands to do this.” I suppose sometimes three would suffice, but generally it’s for situations when two is just not enough.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

I genuinely (and not an innuendo-filled joke) have trained my wife to be my front mech third hand tool. I get the tension just right by hand, and then she leans across and tightens the bolt. It has taken 25 years of training and she does the perfect job.

All my friends (at least those whose bikes I look after) benefit.

SchallUndRauch

by SchallUndRauch

So, the Madone SLR Disc frameset is up for sale: https://www.ebay.de/itm/NEW-TREK-MADONE ... 3151273822

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

That is the frame and size I was looking for last month. Ended up with another frame or I would be buying that one. The red with giant white logo is hideous though.

SchallUndRauch

by SchallUndRauch

Thank you for your valuable esthetic assessment. It's Viper Red, the regular Trek Segafredo colour.

SchallUndRauch

by SchallUndRauch

I looked at the frame, and noticed this in the bb cutout:
40EC692C-AB15-4A05-95CC-4EE02825BF6D.jpeg
A bit disappointing at this price point.

SchallUndRauch

by SchallUndRauch

...but after sending it in, Trek says it's just cosmetic, so here we go!
IMG_2749.jpg
Immediately, I ran into a host of problems, from banal to profound:

1. My cycling stand's clamp was too wide to grab the seatpost, so I had to modify it.
2. I thought I had a 10mm tool for the Ultra Torque crank, but I don't, so have to order it first. I tightened the Hirth screw as far as I could, but not to 42-60Nm.
3. There are still open questions regarding fit and therefore stem length, so no assembly of the front end.
4. The Trek-Campa-BB-Set went in easily on the drive side and with tough love on the non-drive side. Now the crank spins with different friction in different positions... I presume, just as in Calnago's case, that the cut-out was not perfectly round. Or will it suddenly rotate freely once the crank is correctly tightened? :noidea: