Build thread Trek Madone SLR Disc and Campa SR mechanic

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Mep wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 5:03 am
I didn't realize the SLR mechanical version did away with the inline adjuster. I'm actually in the opposite camp: I have a Madone 9 and wish I had a control center without the inline adjuster. I don't need it, it looks clunky and it's heavy. Getting the FD dialed in without an adjuster is actually not that hard.. takes a few attempts by pulling on the FD to various degrees before clamping the bolt.
Yeah, I was in the same boat with my 9, until I went with Di2. The Control Center adjuster wasn't particularly good, and it is heavy! I would imagine that someone who can 3D print could fabricate a cover with a cable stop built in, but I'm not sure if it would be strong enough to withstand the stress of the cabling.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Personally, while I wouldn’t leave out an inline front derailleur adjustment on someone else’s bike that I build, I never have put one on my own, as I think they disrupt the nice smooth lines, and I can dial in the shifting perfectly without it. But that takes a bit of experience to be able to do consistently. But it can be done. Now... about that ticket to Mexico?... do you live close to a resort town?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

SchallUndRauch

by SchallUndRauch

Hahaha, sorry Calnago, you picked up on my offer too late! Moving back to Europe in about a week. Any chance to buy you a beer on the old continent?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I’d much prefer Europe. I can have my bike and bags packed in short order.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

SchallUndRauch

by SchallUndRauch

SchallUndRauch wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:41 pm
Basically, only some bobbin that goes at one of two places could work:

- on the exit hole in the BB, where the FD cable comes out;
- on the cable itself, dividing it between BB and FD and looking functionally like this, just much smaller of course:
0F0BF622-FBAF-4C1C-8D33-8300F99A6340.jpeg
Ad 2, this here could work:
https://www.conrad.de/de/p/famotec-cmsp ... 06623.html

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Oh my... what are you going to do... tie the cut ends of a derailleur cable to each end of that thing, then stuff it in the down tube and listen to it bang against your downtube constantly? Not to mention being able to fine tune it while it is in tension.
Lol... I think you better have me come over, some time when Le Tour is making its way past your house.

[edit]: seriously, find a mechanic that really understands Campy and is intimately familiar with how the front derailleur works in conjunction with the lever and the overrun. Make sure he understands exactly what the cable tension needs to be and at which point next to the chain it needs to be adjusted. Make sure he understands that, for 11sp at least, there is no trim when on the big ring, and that all cogs should be able to be run cleanly from the big ring with no rubbing on either side of the derailleur. Make sure he understands what is meant by “no man’s land” when he’s moving from the big ring to the small ring. Make sure he’s familiar with the steel stop in the left shifter and it’s purpose. If he nods knowingly to all that stuff and adds a couple things that I couldn’t be bothered to mention then maybe he can set it up properly without the inline adjuster. If he says something like “Sure, I used to work on Campy all the time... the front derailleur’s a piece of cake. Always has been. Why would you even need an inline adjuster, new fangled useless gadgets they are”, then just quietly walk away and look for someone else.
Last edited by Calnago on Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

SchallUndRauch

by SchallUndRauch

You coming over for a beer (not to France, though) - yes please!
The bobbin, though, would go on the exposed piece of cable between BB and FD. (Hope this is how it's on the SLR, had no chance to check yet). So worry not, kind Sir, no banging in the downtube.

Edit: I'm my own mechanic, but I will have some serious words with me bearing in mind what you just wrote.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Have you set up a post 2015 Campagnolo front derailleur before using the inline adjuster? The inline adjuster makes things very easy but if you know what you’re doing and have a fourth hand tool and a couple tricks up your sleeve it’s possible to set up perfectly without it. But it would be so much easier if you’ve already got some good experience with all that stuff with the inline adjuster installed. Even with the inline adjuster people still seem to have it poorly set up a lot of the time. The troubling thing to me is, some of those same people think it’s in perfect adjustment.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

gosh I'm soooo happy right now I havent gone with 12sp mech Record for my SLR as I planned at some point... afaik it took whole day (and I literally mean - whole day) for TWO mechanics to get my DA drivetrain installed right.. their excuse is it was their first time with mech on a Madone (incl. 9 series) and like 2nd or 3rd SLR, which they claim is tad worse to set up than the 9 :noidea:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

MXGimp

by MXGimp

Mep wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 5:03 am
I didn't realize the SLR mechanical version did away with the inline adjuster. I'm actually in the opposite camp: I have a Madone 9 and wish I had a control center without the inline adjuster. I don't need it, it looks clunky and it's heavy. Getting the FD dialed in without an adjuster is actually not that hard.. takes a few attempts by pulling on the FD to various degrees before clamping the bolt.
I've used the below since I got my Madone 9 when they first came out. Its perfect.
https://www.shapeways.com/product/3AD82 ... arketplace

Mep

by Mep

MXGimp wrote: I've used the below since I got my Madone 9 when they first came out. Its perfect.
https://www.shapeways.com/product/3AD82 ... arketplace
Right that works if you're on electronic; with mechanical you still need the cable stops, which apparently no one else has asked for so I might just look to 3d printing one for myself.

SchallUndRauch

by SchallUndRauch

So I am thinking about selling the frame on.

After letting sink in the FD adjuster topic and the fact that the bike will be impossible to transport in a dedicated bike case, the thing that ultimately made me reconsider is that my frame was delivered in a color I had not ordered. I had to go via a local Trek shop, and they messed it up.

Maybe I'll wait for next year's model, hoping the Madone will change to T47 BBs, along with other Trek models, or maybe I'll wait for the next generation of Canyon Aeroad. I am slowly growing fonder and fonder of this bike, seeing it does pretty much everything the Madone does, but without the integrated cables at bar and stem (and without the adjustability of IsoSpeed, granted).

Meanwhile, a late and lacklustre response from Ridley regarding the mysterious inline adjuster that seems to be in the BB area of the Noah Fast Disc:

"I’m very sorry. We checked with our R&D and Customer Service, but we don’t have such a photo available for the moment.
We do are working on a 3D exploded view that should show these details more accurately. Hopefully that should be ready before September."

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Calnago wrote:The inline adjuster makes things very easy but if you know what you’re doing and have a fourth hand tool and a couple tricks up your sleeve it’s possible to set up perfectly without it.
Just to make sure we are referring to the same thing, what are you calling a “4th hand tool”??

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

It’s just a tool that allows you to grab a cable, and tension it against its stop relatively easily and precisely, then keep it there while you tighten the bolt down with a wrench in your other hand. Most bicycle tool manufacturers make some variation of it.

mag

by mag

Like these for example
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/park-tool-cabl ... cher-bt-2/
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/x-tools-pro-in ... -puller-1/
https://pedros.com/products/tools/brake ... le-puller/
And as Calnago mentions - there are lots of these. Many of them are actually the same with just a different branding - they're obviously made in the same factory somewhere in China i guess. :-D

I've got the cheap X-Tools one and it's ok for my use.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com