Garmin Vector 3's or send my DA9000 crank to 4iiii to get the Precision Pro installed?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jspaceman

by jspaceman

I'm trying to decide whether to get the Garmin Vector 3 pedals or send my DA9000 crank to 4iiii to get the dual sided Precision Pro installed on it.

I know the Garmin's are a bit more expensive, but I can get them immediately and they are on for $100 off at the moment. Whereas the 4iiii I'll have to wait for 2-3 weeks for the turn around.

Have the issues with the early Vector 3's been solved? I know that Garmin redesigned the battery door, and I'm not sure if the ones for sale here have the newer battery door or the old one (and I think Garmin will replace the older ones for free).

The Vectors have temperature compensation, whereas it appears the Precision Pro doesn't. How important is this? It doesn't appear that the Precision Pro has auto-zero offset either.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robertbb

by robertbb

The correct answer is, in fact, "C"... Favero Assioma

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Do you care about pedal stack height?
If not at all, Garmin is fine.

If a little bit, Favero Assioma is 2.5mm thinner and also got better review and more reliable data than Vector 3.
Favero is 10.5mm (pedals only) + ~5mm cleats. (not sure about Look cleats thickness, anyone can confirm how thick are Look cleats?).
That would put it just a bit taller than Dura-ace pedals (13.7mm pedal+cleat combined).

If you care a lot, then you'd already use Speedplay, so in that case i vote 4iiii.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Assiomas. My Vector 3s were fine for months, but now after a battery change I am getting Right Pedal Missing messages. It doesn’t help that the pedal body threads for the battery cover are plastic.

Brynhildr

by Brynhildr

My 4iiii took quite a while to get an install (a month or two in the off-season); but that was due to a complication on my side of the communication. If you have the time, I wouldn't mind.

Works great! The Drive-Side update is kinda pricey though, maybe I'll try a Quarq or P2M something one day.

I reckon the Asiomas work fine, I'm just scared I'd wreck a pair in a gnarly ride or crit.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

my second pair of V3 have been awesome... I do take great care with those battery covers... basically turn by hand with little force until I feel comfortable they have threaded correctly.... any slight resistence and I back off.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

jspaceman

by jspaceman

I'm not too concerned about stack height. I'm currently running Dura Ace 9000 pedals on my bike.

I don't know much about the Favero Assiomo pedals. They used to be BePro, correct?

Is there only one version of the Assiomo pedals? No previous iterations, other than the BePro?

I do like the look of the Vector 3's better than the Assiomos, and I would have thought any of the issues with the Vectors would have been ironed out by now. But the Assiomos seem to get good reviews.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I have both and have gone back and forth between which I think is better.

The build quality on the Assiomas is actually better. The spindles spin freely out of the box. My Vector 3 spindles...one of them got broken in eventually, but the other is still a little tight. The battery door design needs to be better. The threads on the pedal body are plastic, so you have to be extremely careful not to cross-thread them or over-torque them, even a tiny bit.

Under ideal conditions the Vector 3s have a more reliable signal. However battery fitment issues can result in "Right Pedal Missing" messages.

The pod on the Assioma does rub on my shoe covers if I wear them, but it doesn't really affect power readings.

Once the Assiomas get Cycling Dynamics, there will be no reason to stick with my Vector 3s. I'm tempted to get a second pair of Assiomas.

jspaceman

by jspaceman

I know that Garmin was supposed to open up the Cycling Dynamics feature to other manufacturers. That was over a year ago, has it not happened yet?

djbowen99

by djbowen99

I’m about to pull the trigger on Vectors over Faveros based on the cycling dynamics.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com