Calfee Design geometry question...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Berzin1

by Berzin1

I have loved/hated Calfee frames forever. I was considering a carbon frame sometime down the road (like next year) and I've narrowed it down to Parlee, Sarto and Calfee.

But something has always looked funny. It's the space between the front wheel and the downtube. Here is a photo of what I'm talking about-

The space I'm talking about looks more pronounced in person. Is it because Calfee doesn't use an oversized down tube, or is it the wheelbase?

Also, does anyone think those webbed lugs look outdated? I was told you can't order shorter chainstays because of those lugs. Any truth to this?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I would go for Sarto over Calfee or a Parlee made by Parlee (not the Asian versions).
Calfee look unique, i'll give them that!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

boots2000

by boots2000

If I wanted custom carbon I would get an Appleman or a Bill Holland.
Bill Holland has been making bikes for like 40 years-

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

There are a lot of things that could affect the distance. TT length, HT angle, fork offset or rake, fork crown-to-axle distance, etc. A smaller sized frame with a shorter TT will shorten the distance. A larger sized bike with a long TT will increase the distance.

AJS914

by AJS914

Berzin1 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:29 pm
But something has always looked funny. It's the space between the front wheel and the downtube.
I just looked at pics of my C59, my old Dragonfly, and my old Parlee Z4. They don't look that much different. I think the relatively skinny downtube and the deep wheels in your photos are creating an optical illusion.

I've had a thing for Calfees since they were called Carbonframes so I think the lugs look cool. It's definitely a retro look now.

spartacus

by spartacus

The thing with Calfee is you can’t question the quality. You literally can’t buy a carbon frame that’s built better than a tetra pro. It’s not the stiffest or most aero frame ever but the one I have at least rides like a magic carpet.

Berzin1

by Berzin1

I had a Tetra Pro and a Dragonfly. I didn't notice any lack of stiffness with either frame.

I do recall the magic carpet ride. The Dragonfly, though, is the frame that stands out. Same ride as the Tetra, but lighter.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Haven't checked the prices of Calfee. But Parlee is super expensive. Argonaut seems nice to (but expensive), but really dislike the use of a lower headset to make it tapered.
It should be a tapered headtube.
So many interesting bikes today, it would be difficult to choose one (expenses aside).
If i had the option, i would go for a full custom.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Berzin1

by Berzin1

Cost is an issue of course, but these carbon frames all hover around the same price more or less.

And with Calfee, the initial price looks good until you add up all the "extras" like paint.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Berzin1

by Berzin1

It looks like the front runner is Sarto. Very reasonable prices (relatively speaking), a bit better than any of the US boutique carbon frames.

And the best part is custom geometry, tube shaping and paint are included in the price.

This will be my weight weenie climbing bike project after I'm done with the Lynskey.