Help: Distance between lockring and fork

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

calpartz

by calpartz

Hi,

with my hub dt swiss 240s I cannot use the normal centerlock-ring because of the tool… it is a common problem (see the example pics with the black hub).

So I needed to buy the Shimano SM-HB20 but I wonder if there is not enough distance between the lockring and the fork. The distance is just minimal as you can see on the pic with my red hub, but as I can see and heard it never "scrapes", "rubs".

What is your opinion? Actually, I road so far many km with this without problems: just luck or it is safe at all?

Thank you for the help!
Attachments
IMG_20190206_194810.jpg
IMG_20190206_194621.jpg
IMG_0083.jpeg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

calpartz

by calpartz

Really no one?

dricked

by dricked

I made mine work. The tool was close to slipping out but I got it done. I couldn’t use the external type either on my S3

marioc

by marioc

I have DT350 road hubs (12x100 & 12x142) and lockring distance to fork if also close but never had any problems. Mine lockring worked with a cassette tool. In the worst case, pop out endcap to tighten the lockring and put it back afterwards.

Vjl

by Vjl

On my Madone, I have less than half a millimeter with no contact, That close to the axle,very little deflexion there.

dricked

by dricked

With the external lock ring on my S3 there was -0.5mm of space so I understand the OP’s issue here. The shape of the fork physically won’t allow anything but the beveled lock ring that uses the cassette tool.

calpartz

by calpartz

Problem solved with the Dt Swiss Centerlock Adapter: https://www.bike24.de/p1303682.html

It is very low profile as you can see in the pic too and now I have much more space to the fork, it is perfect (9 GR.).

dricked

by dricked

I tried using the adapter and lock ring with no luck. Maybe just the lock ring would work on it’s own on my bike too.

calpartz

by calpartz

dricked wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:14 am
I tried using the adapter and lock ring with no luck. Maybe just the lock ring would work on it’s own on my bike too.
Sorry if I ask: Are you sure, you tried this adapter? It seems to be new. And I used just the upper lock ring. The size is perfect.
Attachments
adapter-dtswiss-clis-12mm.jpg

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Externally notched “BB tool” lockrings were originally designed for 15/20mm thru-axles and MTB. As others have mentioned, get some internally splined lcassette tool” lockrings designed for 12mm/QR.

calpartz

by calpartz

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:34 am
Externally notched “BB tool” lockrings were originally designed for 15/20mm thru-axles and MTB. As others have mentioned, get some internally splined lcassette tool” lockrings designed for 12mm/QR.
Sorry but you didn’t understand the problem...

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

calpartz wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:57 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:34 am
Sorry but you didn’t understand the problem...
Actually I do.

I had the same problem with White Industries hubs and requested they prototype me a special axle + endcap with a bit more machining done to it so the cassette lockring tool would fit. I’m betting DT Swiss has an updated axle and/or endcap that will fit. If not you can always take it to a machine shop.

mattr

by mattr

I have a slimline tool. Not yet found a lockring/endcap that it won't work on.

Unfortunately, they don't make them anymore.

There are a couple of manufacturers where this has been a problem, not just DT swiss.

FWIW, my old MTB fork has quite literally a couple of thicknesses of paper clearance between the lockring and fork leg, and in ~15 years and 10s of thousands of km, both are still unmarked.

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

Front 12mm axle DT Swiss 240S, impossible to fit the cassette tool. I had to use the lockring sell with the Shimano 6 bolts converter, Shimano RTAD05, slimer than the SM-HB20 (the op one) and similar to the DT Swiss. Also 9g but it's too heavy for a lockring.

dricked

by dricked

calpartz wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:40 am
dricked wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:14 am
Sorry if I ask: Are you sure, you tried this adapter? It seems to be new. And I used just the upper lock ring. The size is perfect.
Unless mine is slightly different but that looks exactly like the one that came with my PRC 1400 wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com