Silca Superpista Digital pump review.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MrMagura

by MrMagura

RocketRacing wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 2:05 am
MrMagura wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 1:44 am
Sorry, but no intentions to make a pump production, I only entertained the idea of making a pump, as I needed a proper pump for my own use.

The hose looks real fancy, leaving it on your desk will make it a conversation piece.
You can bend it with a bit of force, but the torsional stiffness is 100%, so don't bother with using it for a pump.

As for your car, 80's Porsche is a wide term, as that's where they went from proper Porsche, to water cooled and full of electronic junk?
If you change your mind on the pump, you know where to find me. I will pm you my email about the hose. I love conversation pieces.

My porsche is an 84 911. First year of bosch motronics. Still air cooled. Like a horny mortocycle as a friend once said. They went to water in 96 or 97, at least for the 911. They did water for other models in the 80’s... but they are not real “porsches” in my mind, so i am foggy/uninterested in those details. Porsche = Air cooled, engine in the back! Mind you, the modern gt3 rs is pretty nice...

The first water cooled 911’s wer co-designed (watered down!!!) with... Toyota as advisors. Toyota was doing what you do as a job, but for porsche... and all advice was about cost savings and mass production. Porsche was in financial straits in the late 90’s, partly because the cars will still made by elderly german men/women by hand, and they could just not compete with the cost efficiencies of modernized mass production factories. So the water cooled, mass produced, visually diluted, 996 generation of 911 was born. Yawn...

As far as electric junk, in hot rodding my car, i also stripped it of about 500lbs of “junk” in persuit of simplicity and lightness/performance (while still preserving visual hotness to my taste, inside and out, and inproving balance). I live in canada, and the ac compressor system was in the heavy end of the car, and had no function in making my car lighter, more powerful, or faster... so i removed and sold it. Stereo, removed it. Rear seats, gone, etc.

It was a labour of love, and on the track it tears most modern new 911’s a new you-know-what. Very satisfying. It is a modern day stripped out gt3 rs, if they made a gt3 rs in the 80’s. Although it tries to kill me every time i drive it... it is an animal. It puts more hair on my chest every time i drive it.

The drivers seat is custom made to fit my skinny butt (i had a big part in the design, which was one off custom), and is fixed mounted... for my ideal position. It is also my baby. And it sits next to my bikes and pump (thus why i don’t like the idea of a metal pump hose. When tired, i can be clumsy)
Thanks for the pics in the email. Looking very good!
One think caught my attention. Why did you not bend the tail pipes, in order to not have them in harms way on the track?
I would think they got damaged every time somebody as much as touches you?
Indeed that's the model to get. That's when the clutch got hydraulic as well, right? Air cooled, and not stuffed with electrical junk, fully galvanized, and proper brakes as standard equipment.

I'll get around to shipping the formula 1 brake hose to you tomorrow.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

MrMagura wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 1:41 pm
Thanks for the pics in the email. Looking very good!
One think caught my attention. Why did you not bend the tail pipes, in order to not have them in harms way on the track?
I would think they got damaged every time somebody as much as touches you?
Indeed that's the model to get. That's when the clutch got hydraulic as well, right? Air cooled, and not stuffed with electrical junk, fully galvanized, and proper brakes as standard equipment.

I'll get around to shipping the formula 1 brake hose to you tomorrow.
The exhaust pipes are 12 inches... hahaha. Bending them is not an option given the body of the muffler is right behind the rear bumper. So any bend you would see.

Porsche dual out mufflers exit from the sides with a bend, but their motorsport mufflers of the time (70’s rsr) actually had a similar design to mine. They were called pea shooters. So my design was inspired by that, but spacing and diameter was custom to meet my design needs. Side exit would not have allowed the internal muffler design i run (increasing power, and eliminating drone).

The long pipes look over the top, but they actually function to keep exhaust flow velocity up, which is good for hp, and mid range torque.

Pipes of that length are illegal in some areas, so i actually looked up local laws, and no mention was made, so i am good. :-)

I have yet to hit a hill that scraped the pipes. The car is so low, the undertray would hit first, and if i scrape the tailpipes, i am screwed. My dad managed to scrape the stock tailpipes once. I was pissed.

The car is not used in racing, just high performance lapping. So if someone is close enough to hit them, they will get what they deserve. Hahaha

I joke that they make a good bike rack.

MrMagura

by MrMagura

Well, it makes for a much more relaxed set of requirements, that you don't race.
Then I wouldn't bother trying to get them out of harms way neither.
As you said, if people damage your exhaust, they were way too close in the first place, outside a track.

joshatsilca

by joshatsilca

MrMagura wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:09 am
Rocket, I am in fact a business owner, so yeah, I know the drill. In fact what I do as a main business, is to create IP, and fix other peoples flawed designs.
That however does not justify the marketing BS running wild, while the product quality goes down the drian.

I appreciate your point of view, but when a company screws over their customers, and proceeds to give them the runaround when they get called out, I personally don't give a flying .....about their credentials and claimed good intentions.
Had they instead engaged in a solution oriented debate, I would by now have picked up an el cheapo pump at some place of lesser repute, and leant back waiting for the parts to make a proper pump, to land in my mailbox.
I in fact started out explaining what was causing the issues with their design, to which they responded by trying to convince me that it was a matter of user error.....and that's where I drew the line.
There was no way it would end up with me recieving what I have paid for, thus I decided to fix the issues myself, as having 25 years of warranty on a product that doesn't get used due to poor functionality, is not worth much.
Should some part fail in the future, I now know that I have to fix it myself, and to be honest, that's ok, given the alternative is to be taken for a clown by Silca.
So I go to Italy for 5 days and Weightweenies does not disappoint in the meantime!!! Holy crap you guys!

First of all, MrMagura, I apologize sincerely for offending you. Looking back at this, I see that you took offense from my original posts suggesting that there was a trick to the hose with the pump and you have escalated from being somewhat unhappy to like nuclear unhappy with the both your pump and the SILCA brand. I truly do apologize for this, my tone should have been much more about understanding and fixing the issue than trying to suggest otherwise. My history with this 'hose too short' issue was that we show the video, explain the thinking behind the braided hose and hose it could be docked and undocked from the handle and people are generally like 'wow, that's really cool, works great, thanks!'. Clearly, I misjudged this in my initial response which allowed things to escalate to a level that is really unacceptable and I sincerely apologize for that.

I have made your situation into an internal case study for my team on how we can do better at understanding issues that our customers have and how to ask better questions to get to root cause, as your issues were so similar to issues we are aware of that had relatively simple and known solutions, and yet we were clearly still miles apart from each other in these discussions. At this point my honest opinion is that there are elements of the pump that you just didn't like, it is still possible that there were quality or manufacturing issues at play and I hate that we will never get to the bottom of that at this point, though happy to see you moving forward.

Lastly, I see that you have done considerable work on your pump in the meantime and am interested to see more. I hope that you turn your ideas into something like an 'upgrade kit' or your own pump brand so we can learn from your ideas and perhaps you teach the industry that there is a better way forward. With 2 Chinese companies making all the pumps for pretty much all the brands except ours, I'd be thrilled to have another high end brand doing something different and better in the mix.

Best regards
Josh
Owner of SILCA
Check out my Tech Blog: https://blog.silca.cc
Stories of the Tech behind the Tech: https://marginalgainspodcast.cc

MrMagura

by MrMagura

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=156868&p=1487155#p1487155

As written there, I'm open to offers, but free R&D to fix your product, nope.
Last edited by MrMagura on Tue May 14, 2019 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vjl

by Vjl

A magnet or steel on the Disk inflator would be nice so you could dock it. I epoxied a magnet and it makes storage neater.

savechief

by savechief

On my Superpista digital pump with the Hiro chuck engaged and the tire at pressure, I'm getting the hissing of air leaking up around the upper magnetic dock for the chuck. Anybody else experience this?
Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

tabl10s

by tabl10s

scb wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:36 pm
I've had one for a couple of weeks and am really impressed. Looing at their Viaggo for travel.
The travel pump is cool as your phone or other device displays large numbers.
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

Dammit

by Dammit

I decided to treat myself to a Super-Pista Digital for Christmas, I chose the digital due to the location of the gauge, and would have chosen the analogue version if the gauge had been at the top.

Anyway, ordered from Wiggle, pump turned up - very excited. Sadly it’s dead, fresh out of the box, and with what looks like some sort of liquid marking on the batteries, although no marking on the box.

I can report, therefore, that it looks nice, action feels smooth, I like the magnetic dock for the pump head - but it doesn’t actually work as designed, which given the money it costs is a little unfortunate.

Now, no doubt, Wiggle will take three weeks to refund my money at which point I will be offered the opportunity to order a fresh pump - what are the odds on the second one being DOA?

ms6073

by ms6073

Dammit wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:48 pm
I decided to treat myself to a Super-Pista Digital for Christmas... Anyway, ordered from Wiggle, pump turned up - very excited. Sadly it’s dead, fresh out of the box, and with what looks like some sort of liquid marking on the batteries, although no marking on the box.
Worst Christmas ever!

- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

GeoffS

by GeoffS

MrMagura wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:38 pm
The Hiro chuck is effectively a copy of the Hirame, just with the Hirame fitting regular hose.
I machined my Hiro chuck to fit regular hose as well. A chuck weighing on the wrong side of 150g due to adapters and svivels, is not a good idea!
Any chance you could share some details on what you did with your Hiro chuck ? I'm thinking of doing something similar with mine, and keen to see how others have tackled the problem.

ameenr

by ameenr

I also picked up one of these pumps this year and have been loving it aside from one minor complaint, and one drawback. I too wish it had a pressure bleed button! The drawback I'm experiencing is that when i go to remove the chuck, it seems to snare the presta valve in the process which lets out a ton of air from the tire. When i release the lever, it should be pretty easy off right??? (Not really in my experience)

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

ameenr wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:17 pm
I also picked up one of these pumps this year and have been loving it aside from one minor complaint, and one drawback. I too wish it had a pressure bleed button! The drawback I'm experiencing is that when i go to remove the chuck, it seems to snare the presta valve in the process which lets out a ton of air from the tire. When i release the lever, it should be pretty easy off right??? (Not really in my experience)

You can adjust the "hold" of the chuck by twisting the knurled head.

I've been generally happy with my SuperPista Digital. My only nitpick is there's no way to turn the display off manually.