Cable/Housing combo? Jagwire Pro, Shimano Dura Ace... something else?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

StanK

by StanK

I really don't have that much of a need for new cables and housing, but it has to be done for my visual peace of mind 8)

I try to find out best solution for my budget (cca. 60-70 euros), which means reliable and low weight.
I'm considering Jagwire Pro shift/brake kit or Dura Ace kit. And I can't figure which is lighter of the two.
I know it's partially depends of lenght of housing and cables used, but I also presume one is heavier from the other. I have find some info on Jagwire Pro g/cm ratio, but no on Dura Ace stuff.

And ... what is general view on these two options? I read on some places that Dura Ace tend to have problem with aging of coating and therefore performance suffer. Is this something that often happening and is it better to avoid this option from the beginning?

And, if there something else for that kind of money, or less (even better), I'm open minded :D
Btw. I don't like "link type" of housing, so without that, please.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

The Jagwire stuff is going to be lighter, especially if you can find the XEX housing. When I ordered cables for my Emonda build, I ordered the "Pro" cables, which are supposed to be heavier than link cables, but I received the XEX housing, which uses lightweight housing and liners (which go the entire length of the cable). I put weights on my Emonda build thread.

Edit: here's a thread on XEX-SL

viewtopic.php?t=144157

alcatraz

by alcatraz

My observation is you only really need premium stuff on the rear derailleur.

Rear brake and front shifter feels good with the premium stuff but works pretty good with mediocre solutions. Call them ultra-light solutions maybe.

Front brake works with anything.

So if you want to go lightweight you can, but dont do it on the RD. Use for example an uncoated shimano sus (stainless) cable and SP41 housing and you'll have a long lasting solution.

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

I definitely think the DA Polymer coated shift cables are a bit overrated. They stretch a lot when new, and the coating does flake off and gum up the shifing over time. If one is using them, I think the inner cable needs to be replaced at 3000-4000 km for the rear shifter. This is also the experience of a local Shimano "pro" shop. Personally, I like the SP41 housing but with a Jagwire Elite high polish inner cable, or a Yokozuna inner cable. Both are non-coated and very tightly wound and very smooth. Just a touch of Shimano SP41 grease to top it off.

StanK

by StanK

FIJIGabe ...

I saw that thread, but it just added to confusion in my head; should be XEX, but it isn't, is actually XEL, but it says XEX ... :?

But just today I think I figured it out. Matter of fact, I sent enquiry to Jagwire to confirm and I waiting for the response.
I think that now only with "Elite sealed" they give XEX housing. I can't find lightweight version of Pro anywhere, so I would probably opted for that "Road Elite sealed" version, although I ride only in dry weather, so I don't need anything sealed :mrgreen: but it's probably only way to get lighter product (without "link" option, as I mentioned already).

I just looked at your Emonda ...
If cable and housing weigh around 160g, then my frame is some 30-50g lighter than I thought.

alcatraz ...

It make sense what you saying. But, problem is that all that "wiring" stuff is a bit new to me. At least when there is a possibility to mismach cable/housing stuff and you end up with some problems.
So, I think safest option for me is to buy whole kit from one manufacturer and same series. With some entry level/sport wiring on my bike I didn't have no problems, but when I already go for replacing whole thing, I just want to be as light as possible.

You think that lightest Jagwire option (witch contain coated cables) wouldn't be good solution for RD? Didn't find any negative statement about that so far.
Hmmm ... now I see they are give 30cm of XEL housing (obviously for RD) in that Elite sealed kit, which contain just XEX housing. :o

StanK

by StanK

Bigger Gear wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:41 pm
I definitely think the DA Polymer coated shift cables are a bit overrated. They stretch a lot when new, and the coating does flake off and gum up the shifing over time. If one is using them, I think the inner cable needs to be replaced at 3000-4000 km for the rear shifter. This is also the experience of a local Shimano "pro" shop...
I have read something like this more than few times, and that's why don't want use DA cables, but on the other hand, Jagwire also use Polymer coated wire. Only I haven't heard bad words on them. Is Jagware really doesn't have that kind of problems with them?
Bigger Gear wrote:
... Personally, I like the SP41 housing but with a Jagwire Elite high polish inner cable, or a Yokozuna inner cable. Both are non-coated and very tightly wound and very smooth. Just a touch of Shimano SP41 grease to top it off.
SP41 is some 20g/m heavyer than XEX. If Jagwire coated cable wouldn't be good, I will replace him with non coated. That's the plan for now, but could be changed in no time. I'm on learning curve with this stuff - actually I'm just started :)
Problem is, that I need to change cables and housing in next 10-15 days, so decision must be made in next few days.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Those coated Shimano inner cables flake like crazy. Rather buy some of Jagwires versions.
Anyway, i run Elite link brake cable kits and i think they're the best i've had so far.

Haven't tried these, but they seem to match what you ask for?

https://r2-bike.com/PowerCordz-Bremszugset-Prime-ROAD_4
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

oldturd

by oldturd

just dumped my shimano polymer cables. was under the impression that they were the bees knees til they start flaking and gunking up everything they touch on my bike..

on order are the jagwire elite sealed kit.

also doing away with my alligator ilinks

Mep

by Mep

StanK wrote:
Bigger Gear wrote:
I definitely think the DA Polymer coated shift cables are a bit overrated. They stretch a lot when new, and the coating does flake off and gum up the shifing over time. If one is using them, I think the inner cable needs to be replaced at 3000-4000 km for the rear shifter. This is also the experience of a local Shimano "pro" shop...
I have read something like this more than few times, and that's why don't want use DA cables, but on the other hand, Jagwire also use Polymer coated wire. Only I haven't heard bad words on them. Is Jagware really doesn't have that kind of problems with them?
Bigger Gear wrote:
... Personally, I like the SP41 housing but with a Jagwire Elite high polish inner cable, or a Yokozuna inner cable. Both are non-coated and very tightly wound and very smooth. Just a touch of Shimano SP41 grease to top it off.
SP41 is some 20g/m heavyer than XEX. If Jagwire coated cable wouldn't be good, I will replace him with non coated. That's the plan for now, but could be changed in no time. I'm on learning curve with this stuff - actually I'm just started :)
Problem is, that I need to change cables and housing in next 10-15 days, so decision must be made in next few days.
The reason this is all so confusing is because Jagwire discontinued the Pro Shift kit that contains XEX-SL housing and now uses LEX-SL instead. If you're resourceful, you can still find the older kit in stores or online.

The Elite Sealed Shift kit now has the XEX housing, but I'm not certain that it is the exact same housing as XEX-SL. It may be close in weight but slightly heavier (unconfirmed). From memory, I recall Jagwire advertising the XEX-SL to be 50% lighter than the traditional offering. The XEX is advertised as 30% lighter.

StanK

by StanK

Mep ...

Well, that can be too. Did I already say it's complicated? :o :D

In the end, however, I might go to the Pro version, because shifter housing on Elite is 5mm diameter, not 4mm like it is now on bike. And I don't know if 5mm would fit, or would be a problem.

wheelsONfire ...

Power Cordz (PCz) look very interesting, although over planned budget. But how much would, in the end, cutted and all, actually be lighter from Jagwire Elite or Pro? I could stretch to the price of PCz, but only if I can gain 30-40g down for sure on Jagwire Pro.

Mep

by Mep

Get the 2018 Jagwire Pro Shift, it was basically the lightest on the market, as light as/lighter than Aican Bungarus/Alligator mini ilinks. It's not expensive but you'll need to find one. There is no way to lose another 30-40g on the XEX-SL housing: it's 17g/m so you'd need 2m of housing on your bike and your new housing to weigh nothing.

That said you can cut weight from the steel cables, but be careful with Powercordz because they're not easy to secure but easy to damage: requires looping the cable around and more clamping force. Some derailleurs or brakes won't allow that.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

StanK wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:34 pm
Mep ...

Well, that can be too. Did I already say it's complicated? :o :D

In the end, however, I might go to the Pro version, because shifter housing on Elite is 5mm diameter, not 4mm like it is now on bike. And I don't know if 5mm would fit, or would be a problem.

wheelsONfire ...

Power Cordz (PCz) look very interesting, although over planned budget. But how much would, in the end, cutted and all, actually be lighter from Jagwire Elite or Pro? I could stretch to the price of PCz, but only if I can gain 30-40g down for sure on Jagwire Pro.
Oh, that's the question!

To be honest, i have not a clue what my own setups weight is.
I mean, it has been alot fiddling and i don't care that much.
I have no experience with Power Cordz. It seems they require some attention that typical "wire" often is free from.
I don't go all in for lowest weight. Sometimes i think it backlashes. I usually counterweight what i believe in and weight.
What is within reason to some degree. Jagwire works, no problems like with flaking Shimano cables.
I also find those "standard housings" look disturbingly ugly.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

StanK

by StanK

Mep wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:52 pm
...There is no way to lose another 30-40g on the XEX-SL housing ...
I thought PCz 30-40g lighter than Jagwire Pro. But I think that is unlikely.
And repeated mentioning of slightly problematic nature of PCz to install also puting me slightly off.
So, think that I will be definitely looking for Pro.

oldturd

by oldturd

FYI, Rossi Bikes in Montreal has the Pro Lightweight kit with the XEX-SL housing. I emailed and they confirmed it is the XEX-SL. I picked up two kits and they should be in my hands by next week.. hopefully it's accurate information

https://www.rossibikes.com/products/jag ... -cable-kit

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

StanK

by StanK

Can you weigh the XEX-SL housing when you get it? It may be interesting to compare the actual difference - whether half the weight of LEX-SL or "only" 30% 8)
I ordered Pro (no "Lightweight") and it's on the way. I will weigh housing, although R2 shop, and some other says it's 33g/m, so I expect that weight in package.
Btw. ordering from Canada would probably cost me extra money for custom taxes, so only EU stores work for me.