C60 owners-ever struggle with handling?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
xcnick

by xcnick

I’ve had a 48s C60 for around a year and more often than not I feel like it’s hard work to turn. I have a good fit on it with a 100mm stem and 80mm reach bars. It felt better when I took it to the mountains so cornering was faster.

My Ritchey Logic on the other hand handles so sharply (but the ride quality can’t rival the C60). I think the trail on this is 59 vs 65 or so on the C60. Maybe there lies the problem? I love the C60 otherwise but beginning to get frustrated with it :evil:

by Weenie

TonyM

by TonyM

I ride a C60 48S also.
All good. Excellent handling.

However I tried a few years ago with 10mm spacers and a 90mm stem after a bike fit and the handling and feeling on my C60 was terrible. I went back to my old style with a slammed stem and 110m and all felt good again.

xcnick

by xcnick

Mine is also slammed- with the lowest headset top cap.
What happened with your fit? Did you keep the same reach and move your saddle forward for more weight on the front?

AJS914

by AJS914

My C59, I believe, has the same geometry as the C60. It's not the quickest handling bike I've ever had but it's steady and predictable. Personally, I just get used to whatever I'm riding and then forget about it.

My Time VXS was what I'd describe as quick handling. It was a tiny bit scary at first and that bike had a lot of toe overlap. Eventually I got used to it and forgot about it.

NealH

by NealH

I don't own a C60, but have ridden the C59 several times and it doesn't handle as quick and agile as my Tarmac. I think it's follows the classic stage race deisgn, which tended to be on the slow side. But I like my Tarmac.

FilmAt11

by FilmAt11

In size 48s, Colnago has a very slack head tube angle (71.52) combined with 43mm offset fork (I think...). This results in a trail of ~68mm (see http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/trailcalc.php). That is slow steering, but stable. I recall a forum member commented that his 45s Colnago steering was "too loose" in the rear, I think that it's the imbalance between the "slow" front end and the "fast" rear end coupled with the higher BB on the 45s. For me, the 48s geometry feels pretty good - stable, but I get what you're saying. My Cipollini BOND with 73 HA + 45mm fork had much quicker steering.

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

I've found my 48s C60 is one of the best bikes I've ever owned for fast descent on local canyon passes. The bike is simply confident inspiring. It is stable but still allows quick change of direction. I can't offer a fair bench marking since all other bikes I've owned during last 20 years have custom geometry.

3Pio

by 3Pio

xcnick wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:26 pm
I’ve had a 48s C60 for around a year and more often than not I feel like it’s hard work to turn. I have a good fit on it with a 100mm stem and 80mm reach bars. It felt better when I took it to the mountains so cornering was faster.

My Ritchey Logic on the other hand handles so sharply (but the ride quality can’t rival the C60). I think the trail on this is 59 vs 65 or so on the C60. Maybe there lies the problem? I love the C60 otherwise but beginning to get frustrated with it :evil:

Had similar feeling with my C60 50S... But after replacing the handlebars (i replaced Zipp Service Course SL80 in 42 hoods/44 drops (80mm reach/125 drops) to Easton EC90SLX3 (40 hoods, 42 drops, 75mm reach 130 drops), handling become a bit better..

Another improvement when i put stem a bit lower (from 12mm spacers under the stem, to 7mm) (Fizik Cyrano R1 110mm -7 deg)

Then i replace handlebar again to Deda Superleggera (40 cm hoods, 40 cm drops, 75mm reach, 130 drops), and Deda Superleggero Stem (-8 deg 110mm) (from Fizik Cyrano R1 110mm), and again some handling improvement. This time i also lowered hoods a little bit (when u put horizontal line from drops, brake levers touch that line)..

Now handling is almost perfect and very stable predictable.. My other bike is Cannondale CAAD12 (trail 59) in 52, and i prefer Colnago handling vs CAAD12 ....

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Seriously the C59 is one if the best decenders there is..

xcnick

by xcnick

Thanks for the replies, I’m kind of glad it’s not just me!

In the alps on the proper descents it did feel good. Hard to explain but the faster I went the ‘tighter’ the front end became allowing the bike to corner with just small movements.
In the uk however, where our descents are narrow, not cambered and often rough, it can feel difficult to adjust your line mid-turn or to flick around potholes.

Interesting about the handlebar change as I’ve experienced that in the past. Currently using FSA bars mainly because they work so well with Campag shifters.
Wheels are fulcrum carbon Quattro with 25mm GP4000s

welchy

by welchy

My handling is absolutely sublime on the C60, I run the higher headset and 1CM spacer with a 110MM stem on a 56S..

So much better than my tarmac and venge were..

TonyM

by TonyM

xcnick wrote:Mine is also slammed- with the lowest headset top cap.
What happened with your fit? Did you keep the same reach and move your saddle forward for more weight on the front?
No change in the saddle position, just a 110mm stem and no spacers. That means longer reach indeed.

scb

by scb

No handling issues here on my C60 54T, 3T ergnova ltd and related stem. Very solid handling--although slightly better with my C64--same bars but Nago internal stem.

welchy

by welchy

I'd advise getting yourself a bike fit, as I would argue you have one of the best handling bikes on the road at the moment - minus obviously c64. When it's sorted you'll absolutely love it.

mattr

by mattr

Why are people on 54/56 cm frames commenting on handling issues on a 48?
It's a completely different frame.

And yes, i've had issues on small frames (around the 50/51/52 mark) including a C40 many moons ago, thankfully it was only a loaner, as i'd have been heartbroken if i'd ended up with that. Ended up with a custom frame in the end. Thankfully more manufacturers are sorting out the whole rake/trail/HA thing properly these days.

by Weenie