Helmet Search

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

What helmets are the best ventilated on the market? I’d imagine some of the POC helmets are pretty good.

desperado95219

by desperado95219

Catlike Kilauea. Came out last summer but rather hard to find. 37% of front of helmet open
....per their advertising.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

853guy

by 853guy

I've used an Octal for several years, and despite moving to the South of France and enduring a fairly hot summer, feel no need to change. During the colder months, a merino beanie worked fine. Their newer offerings look like they attempt to combine adequate ventilation with some modest aero gains, but just how aero they really are is, well... debatable. Given helmets are fairly personal purchases relative to one's head shape and riding environment, I'd happily buy another POC in the future.

Best,

853guy

biwa

by biwa

Kask valegro

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

No complaints with my Limar UltraLight+ on ventilation... or much else for that matter.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

bikerdan

by bikerdan

I've also got 2 octals and they're great for ventilation. Coming from having used a specialized Prevail and Catlike whisper. The Octal seems a lot better but that could also be partly fit

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

jfranci3

by jfranci3

The type, size, and shape of the head band may be as important as the overall airflow. A big difference for me is the headband. Some of them act like dams, others sponges, and others pass crap out of the way. My Oakley (same as POC???) tends to pool and dump. My Spec Prevail has the low scalp vents, which were nice.

Another thing to consider, as long as you aren’t going slow (climbing, mtb, urban), just having convection is as good as ultimate airflow. As long as you have air traveling over all parts of your head and exiting, you’re as good as having ultimate air flow. An aero helmet without many openings can cool efficiently, as long as your head is at the right angle. If you’ve got openness but no exit for the air, with the air stalled, you’ll get hot. You’ll also want some turbulence and a gaps above your head to get the air to work out the sweat, rather than having the same three channel efficiently cooled.

kgt

by kgt

jfranci3 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:38 pm
An aero helmet without many openings can cool efficiently, as long as your head is at the right angle.
IMHO an aero helmet can offer adequate ventilation only at high speeds and only at temperatures up to 20 celcius. If speed is low and temperature is high no aero helmet can offer good ventilation. I often ride at 30-35 celcius and this is my experience.

Meyercord

by Meyercord

Kask valegro. Protone has gotten it done for me as well.

hanakuso1

by hanakuso1

I've been happy with my S-Works Prevail 2. I used to wear a sweatband but I haven't had to use it since I got this helmet.

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

kgt wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:21 pm
jfranci3 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:38 pm
An aero helmet without many openings can cool efficiently, as long as your head is at the right angle.
IMHO an aero helmet can offer adequate ventilation only at high speeds and only at temperatures up to 20 celcius. If speed is low and temperature is high no aero helmet can offer good ventilation. I often ride at 30-35 celcius and this is my experience.
I live in Florida and no matter how fast you get air going through a Vanquish, the heat still starts to become an issue after a while.

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

Octal, Z1, Valegro, and Prevail 2 all look like pretty good options. I’d go with Valegro but it doesn’t look to sturdy or padded.

asiantrick

by asiantrick

Anyone currently using MET Trenta helmet? I'm curious how that helmet compared to Protone and Valegro.

wilwil

by wilwil

Poc Octal that needs replacing. Tried a Ventral Air but they've messed with the sizing so the M was tight at the sides and the L was massive. Very annoying.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com