Tune Geiles Teil 4.0 stem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

biwa

by biwa

Anyone using this stem? Is its length true to spec (as it's not uncommon to have up to +5mm more than the specificed length)? Can it be mounted both +/- 8-deg? The official specs only states +8-deg. Quality and stiffness report? Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikesrdangerousmmk

by bikesrdangerousmmk

Search for the fairwheel bikes stem test. Fairly extensive review and comparison of that and other stems.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I have a -8, 110mm version. You can mount it anyway you want. Stiffness, compared to what?
I don't use mine since i moved to a -10, 120mm stem.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Wookski

by Wookski

I love these stems and have a 110 & 120mm. Stiffness is much better than the Extralite and McFK stems I run on different setups. Not a weight weenie stem but very well made and the Tune outfront Garmin mount is the best in the business. Not sure why you’d want to run +8 as it would look super awkward?

corky

by corky

Wookski wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:47 am
I love these stems and have a 110 & 120mm. Stiffness is much better than the Extralite and McFK stems I run on different setups. Not a weight weenie stem but very well made and the Tune outfront Garmin mount is the best in the business. Not sure why you’d want to run +8 as it would look super awkward?
MTB world want to run it at +8.....that is who it was really intended for as the clamp is better designed that way up.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

corky wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:15 am
Wookski wrote:
MTB world want to run it at +8.....that is who it was really intended for as the clamp is better designed that way up.
Who told you that?

I seriously doubt Tune has designed a stem to be used +8 angle. Or would you think the -17 stem is designed to be +17?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

corky

by corky

wheelsONfire wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:06 pm
corky wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:15 am
Wookski wrote:

Who told you that?

I seriously doubt Tune has designed a stem to be used +8 angle. Or would you think the -17 stem is designed to be +17?
Tune are a predominantly MTB co.........
If you look at the stem closely you will see that in the positive orientation the top of the clamp is much more, rounded off when run negatively the top looks aesthetically awkward. I’m not saying you can’t run it negatively but I think it was designed foremostly as an MTB stem .....the fact that the steerer clamp bolts are mounted on the left side when the stem is run negatively also points to this.....

Wookski

by Wookski

corky wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:48 pm
If you look at the stem closely you will see that in the positive orientation the top of the clamp is much more, rounded off when run negatively the top looks aesthetically awkward.
You’re 100% correct- here is a pic of my 120mm 8 degree:

The machining around the steerer is much more rounded on the underside and much sharper on the top. Definitely indicative of initially being designed for +ve rise use. The MTB guy is an obvious giveaway :lol:

tristn

by tristn

I've been considering one of these as an alternative to an Extralite. Any feedback on well they hold bars/steerer?

corky

by corky

tristn wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:47 pm
I've been considering one of these as an alternative to an Extralite. Any feedback on well they hold bars/steerer?
They are very well engineered to tight tolerances, considering they can be used for MTBs as well, the clamps have
No,problems that I'm aware of. I have experience of both the 2 bolt and 4 bolt versions. They are on a par in terms
Of machining and anodising with the Extralite

tristn

by tristn

corky wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:33 pm
tristn wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:47 pm
They are very well engineered to tight tolerances, considering they can be used for MTBs as well, the clamps have
No,problems that I'm aware of. I have experience of both the 2 bolt and 4 bolt versions. They are on a par in terms
Of machining and anodising with the Extralite
Thanks for the info!

AgMar

by AgMar

I had one on a road bike, now using one on my MTB. Titanium bolts, well made, holds the bars, not too heavy, cheaper than Extralite but not cheap. Recommended.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

I'm selling a basically new blue one in 110mm +/-8º if anyone is interested!