Is it worth upgrading Potenza front derailleur?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

debeo

by debeo

I’m not happy with the way how Potenza groupset works, especially front derailleur.
It has been serviced for few times and still it works way worst than Ultegra one. Moreover I have plenty chain drops.

Is it worth upgrading only front derailleur?
If yes should it be i.e. Record or just Chorus?

AJS914

by AJS914

If you have chain drops then it's not set up correctly despite having someone worked on it 3 times.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I’d upgrade your mechanic first.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

KarlC

by KarlC

Calnago wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:28 pm
+1 on that
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

Miller

by Miller

I have Potenza front der operating on Potenza chainset. It's super reliable and it's on my gravel bike where I'm often making shifts on rough surfaces. No chain drops.

The key for setting up reliable Campag front shifting is the front derailleur alignment tool, UT-FD020. It's just a bit of plastic but it takes the guesswork out of setup.

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

it does take more lever throw compared to shimano, chain drops is not normal and a sign of improper installation

Catagory6

by Catagory6

i concur with what others have stated
upgrade your mechanic

start over from the beginning
if you have the cable routed to the outside of the handlebar, then switch to the inside, there's less of a bend in the housing
outer cage bracket must be PERFECTLY parallel to the outer chainring

flying

by flying

Calnago wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:28 pm
:lol: :lol: True That

stiffnezz1

by stiffnezz1

yea no complaints with my potenza. A sure fire way to know if you have a bogus install is to look for an adjuster barrel on the front dreailer cable. Suggested by campy. Really hard to dail in wihtout one, im sure some can afford a few hours to tune and test but i just went with an adjuster. Eats me up inside a little because i hate adjusters, but i had already purchased...

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

As alluded to above, two things are essential to getting at right (at least in my experience):

1) The Campagnolo UT-FD020 - it's fairly cheap and gets the front derailleur alignment and height perfect.
2) The in-line barrel adjuster. Like some of the posters I'm not a big fan of them, but I find the Campy one to be well designed and gives a nice feel to adjustment, along with some guides on the tool to ensure you're turning it the right direction.

In my experience, after setting it up by hand initially I was getting a few chain drops and starting to be a little frustrated, as by eye the alignment looked very close. Got the tool, set it up again from scratch, and now operates perfectly.

robertbb

by robertbb

Miller wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:57 pm
I have Potenza front der operating on Potenza chainset. It's super reliable and it's on my gravel bike where I'm often making shifts on rough surfaces. No chain drops.

The key for setting up reliable Campag front shifting is the front derailleur alignment tool, UT-FD020. It's just a bit of plastic but it takes the guesswork out of setup.
+1

And read the instructions that come with it! (Also make sure you use the correct plastic alignment guide for your chainring sizes - the pack comes with two and they are labeled)

I use compact 50/34 cranks which should theoretically be the worst for front shifting given the teeth gap is larger than other setups - no issues at all. Smooth as!

jih

by jih

If anything, the metal potenza group might shift better than the carbon high end mechs. Certainly shouldn’t shift worse.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

My campagnolo drivetrains never drop chain. Changing under power is one reason for this. A worn chain or chainring often contribute to chain drops along with slightly bent chainring teeth or chain. FD positioning and limit stop

It's not the mech though.