4iiii Power Meter tracking update - who's been waiting?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

g32ecs

by g32ecs

https://4iiii.com/searchotter/

According to this press release, existing owners of PRECISIONS and Podiums will be able to get a firmware update that will enable this feature (I'm assuming you'd have to connect your PM while before riding). I thought it was a neat idea in the event your bike gets stolen and the thieves don't realize they stole a tracked bike.

I have the first gen precision and asked on Apr 10th and it's now more than 10 days later and I have yet to find the update firmware button shaded.

Has anyone successfully upgraded the firmware?

kofsw4

by kofsw4

iOS only! Do they not realise that 75% of smartphones sold last year were on android

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Shrike

by Shrike

kofsw4 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:55 am
iOS only! Do they not realise that 75% of smartphones sold last year were on android Image
Realise these:
Demographics
Version fragmentation

Pretty cool stuff from 4iii. Hope I get this too. Just bought a couple of their PMs (Precisions).

g32ecs

by g32ecs

kofsw4 wrote:
iOS only! Do they not realise that 75% of smartphones sold last year were on android Image
Yeah, no idea why they went that way. Luckily I'm using and IP right now, but it was a hassle asking a family member for their phone before

BagelMaster

by BagelMaster

This is a really clever idea. I'm surprised it hasn't been implemented not only by other powermeters but other sports tech. I wonder if there would be a way for consumers to lobby the industry to accept one of these services like Chipolo, Tile, etc. as a standard in order to create a more robust network for stolen bikes/powermeters. Imagine if SRAM and Shimano added it to their firmware for their wireless products!

BagelMaster

by BagelMaster

For what it's worth, I am running the newest version of iOS and I was not given the option to update the firmware of my PRECISION which is on v.2.1.0. Although my 4iiii's app has updated and has the feature to mark a device lost or found, I haven't been able to update the powermeters firmware.

dcorn

by dcorn

Shrike wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:18 am
kofsw4 wrote:
Realise these:
Demographics
Version fragmentation
:roll: Please show us your metrics saying most cyclists are on iOS. And apple needs to give it a rest with the different versions of Android. Most apps require the phone to be on 4.0 or 6.0 and above or something like that. We're almost to 10 now, the last few iterations haven't been a huge change in app requirements.

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Update

Hello xxxxx,

In our beta testing, we uncovered a decreased battery life as a result of the newest firmware on our PRECISION Powermeters and to make sure we do not compromise the quality of our products, we have delayed this release. We are working hard to ensure a minimal impact on battery life and will be releasing our Finder Feature enabled firmware for PRECISION Powermeters on May 3.

Please let me know if you have any further questions at this time.

Thanks,

Wriley

g32ecs

by g32ecs

BTW, what does everyone use (brand wise) as coin cell batteries? I'm using cheap dollar store ones, will probably last 2mos tops

Sammutd88

by Sammutd88

It still drains the battery ridiculously in standby. And from what I've tried, you can't switch off the tracking feature to regain battery life and disable the feature.

oldturd

by oldturd

I updated the firmware and it's a lot better on the Podium now. I recall prior that I charged it, went for an hr ride.. and the next ride 4 days later it was DEAD.

I'm happy to say it's been about a week now and two short rides and i've got 86% left!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com