ripped tubular...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

today, i joined an event and about 45 miles in... the lady in front didn't call out a bump in the road, so when i went over it, my bottle fell out and i had to brake to slow down. the asphalt was rough and my less than 100 miles veloflex carbon got chewed up bad.

at first i thought it was a puncture and was going to fill it up with glue, but upon checking, it was bad.

guess i can't reuse this again......
Attachments
Capture123.JPG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

If going over a bump does that maybe it's even worth contacting veloflex for a warranty replacement.

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

Did you lock up the brakes and skid at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2019 Baum Ristretto
Pain is my friend!

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Looks like skid damage. In that case you can't claim warranty.

Get better bottle cages maybe. Bontrager xxx ones are light and don't eject your bottles over bumps.

1415chris

by 1415chris

Ouch, having a couple of emergency stops with lock ups on Veloflex, it looks to me that in this case it must have been prolonged skid.
Tub, obviously is totally toasted.
On the bottle cages, there is a good reason why Mandibles are so popular on this forum.

addictR1

by addictR1

Yup, locked up and skid...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

eric01

by eric01

Yeah that happened to me once. Emergency braking and I locked up the rear. Panic stop. Skidded and wore a hole straight through the casing. Losing a tire was preferable compared to the alternative of a big pileup
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

addictR1

by addictR1

Yup... I consider it lesson learned. Plus today was the first time changing with a pre-glued tub. Finished 2nd half of the 85 mile ride and later checked the rear tub was stuck on tight!

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

Just a side comment: the Carbon, or better yet the Arenberg, May be better for this type of riding. The Extreme is more of a true racing tire.

addictR1

by addictR1

joeyb1000 wrote:Just a side comment: the Carbon, or better yet the Arenberg, May be better for this type of riding. The Extreme is more of a true racing tire.
Funny that you mention it. On my TMR02, I’m running veloflex sprinters and had locked up my brakes before and skidded a couple times but never had a rip like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rides4beer

by rides4beer

Been there, locked up the brakes to avoid hitting an off leash dog that darted right in front of me on the MUP, destroyed a brand new GP5K. But didn't hit the dog, and didn't wreck, so it all ended well.

mattr

by mattr

Time for some better bottle cages. ;)

addictR1

by addictR1

mattr wrote:Time for some better bottle cages. ;)
I had the bontrager xxx for years and it’s been good. I was drinking it just before the bump so I probably didn’t put it in all the way.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Tub is busted, but you must have had quite a skid. I destroyed a Carbon in similar way a few years ago when my RD hanger broke and went into the spokes, locking the wheel on a descent - but that was full stop from 50 to 0 kph within some 20-30 meters.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

mrlobber wrote:Tub is busted, but you must have had quite a skid. I destroyed a Carbon in similar way a few years ago when my RD hanger broke and went into the spokes, locking the wheel on a descent - but that was full stop from 50 to 0 kph within some 20-30 meters.
My skid was about 3-4 feet max. But I did hit the bump hard. Glad my c24 weren’t out of true