Evade 2 v utopia

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Stueys

by Stueys

Need to update my protone and eyeing up either a Utopia or Evade 2 mips. The utopia is lighter and I’ve enjoyed my protone, the evade is heavier but has the advantage of MIPS; which after a bit of research seems like a very credible, safety feature.

Anyone have any experience of either to help me leap?

by Weenie

rlanger

by rlanger

You might also want to consider the Bontrager aero helmet too.

I tried both the Evade and the Bont (which also has mips) today, and found the retention system to be much better and more comfortable on the Bont.

DartanianX

by DartanianX

The utopia is phenomenal! I have the valegro and cooling is on par for most temperatures.

They look ok too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The Utopia is not comfortable around my forehead. It feels like it has no padding even though there is some. I had no fitment issues with the Protone.

The Bontrager XXX gets hot at lower speeds

romanmoser

by romanmoser

same for me I tried it the other day

I was okay in a protone even if it wasn't great for oakley shades with their longs branches
The valegro had quasi an absence of padding on the front except two minisucles pads , so when tightening it enough not too much it would create too much pression and mark my face. THe Utopia yes I could only feel the hardsell .. I guess they are too round for my oval head. That and the non adjustable buckle that was on my jaw line so I had to loose it.

A shame because they are top notch quality , and the finish made in italy is better than specialized evade 2
but the evade 2 fit me , more important.

@dartanian : you need to present us that moots rsl disc , it's the one with I9 clinchers deeps and purple hubs from insta right ?

pyf

by pyf

Did anybody get a chance to check the weight of the UTOPIA on a scale ? I'm quite interested in it but want to make sure the 235gr claimed weight in Medium is respected of at least close...

Thanks a lot !

Stueys

by Stueys

pyf wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 2:57 pm
Did anybody get a chance to check the weight of the UTOPIA on a scale ? I'm quite interested in it but want to make sure the 235gr claimed weight in Medium is respected of at least close...

Thanks a lot !
Trying both on so will report back. It’s interesting that we still see a lot of pros riding Protone though

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Stueys wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 8:39 pm

Trying both on so will report back. It’s interesting that we still see a lot of pros riding Protone though

I bet it's a comfort thing. The Valegro and Utopia padding isn't sufficient, at least to me.

romanmoser

by romanmoser

tobin is right

Js2

by Js2

My head loves Kask helmet. From Mojito > Protone > Utopia. The Evade head shell shape is more oval compared to Kask, and the build quality is better on kask (in my opinion).

With the utopia and protone I need to lower the adjustable cradle so the side (wires) clear the inside shell. As far as padding goes I don't notice any discomfort or lack of padding. My head is bang on 58 cm (max for size medium helmet).

And the Utopia rear end looks like a super car 8) hope this helps :beerchug:

1415chris

by 1415chris

For the reference:
Utopia large white 299.6g
Protone large black matt 279.0g

Yes, Utopia is different in the way how you feel it on the head, compared to Protone or Infinity, which is in my possession as well.
It is due to the orientation of the padding strips. In Protone there is one continous horizontal pad running across the whole forehead.
In Utopia there are four contact points in the front section, two on the sides of the forehead and two up front. These two pads are running from the front towards the back of the helmet.
I do like this solution in Utopia, it seems to be providing a better air flow between the head and the helmet.

Meyercord

by Meyercord

I switch between a utopia, protone and valegro depending on mood. The protone is definitely the most comfortable, followed by the valegro and utopia being equal imo. I used the evade twice before deciding it wasn’t for me. Kask flat out fits better, uses higher quality materials and seems to be built to a higher standard.

micky

by micky

@Meyercord; are the padding inside the Utopia same as the Valegro?
I used to own Protone and it had comfortable pads although the front pad on forehead would cause sweat to drop on sunglasses occasionally.
On the Valegro they made them much much thinner and removed the front one, and while Im ok with it, it's not as comfortable.
How would you rate the Utopia?

Campervan

by Campervan

Have you considered the Kask infinity? I'm looking at new helmets at the moment as well.
BMC Granfondo 02 105
Btwin 540
Specialized Venge Pro Disc

Meyercord

by Meyercord

micky wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 8:04 am
@Meyercord; are the padding inside the Utopia same as the Valegro?
I used to own Protone and it had comfortable pads although the front pad on forehead would cause sweat to drop on sunglasses occasionally.
On the Valegro they made them much much thinner and removed the front one, and while Im ok with it, it's not as comfortable.
How would you rate the Utopia?
I don’t have that issue with the protone more than any other helmet. The utopia has fewer pads than the Valegro, but they are a similar style. I find the utopia and Valegro to be the same comfort wise with the protone more comfortable and better on a daily basis than the valegro or utopia. It’s also the one I’m most likely to grab unless I’m doing intervals and then I’ll grab the valegro for more cooling at slower speeds.

by Weenie