Canyon aeroad disc brake rub

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mzlewis

by mzlewis

Evening,

Any one have any experiences of the disc brake rubbing on the forks of an aeroad when out of the saddle. Not talking about poor alignemnt etc but just wondering if the front of these bikes is flexyt and susceptible to flex that causes minimum flex when sprinting or climbing. I want one but interested to hear of peoples experiewnces.

Thanks,

Matt

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

If your rotor is physically contacting the fork, you have major problems...

mzlewis

by mzlewis

Sorry! Ha ha, that'll teach me for posting after a beer.

Just wondering if any aeroad owners have ever suffered from fork flex when climbing and/or sprinting out of th saddle. Enough for the rotor to rub ever so slightly on the brake pads-and definitely not the fork. I've had a few road disc brake bikes where this has happened and othrs where there has not been an issue.

Thanks,

Matt

calpartz

by calpartz

mzlewis wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:56 am

Just wondering if any aeroad owners have ever suffered from fork flex when climbing and/or sprinting out of th saddle. Enough for the rotor to rub ever so slightly on the brake pads-and definitely not the fork. I've had a few road disc brake bikes where this has happened and othrs where there has not been an issue.

Thanks,

Matt
I noticed that on my Aeroad too, so I thought it was the disc. Now I putted the rotor in a new position and I will try this again as soon as possible.

mr2scott

by mr2scott

I notice this on almost ANY bike, rim or disc, and I'm only 170 pounds. Unless it's a rim bike with mega stiff wheels. I've had wheels I could just bounce back and forth between the brake pads haha.

Smaller rotors can make it a little better, make sure rotor is perfectly true and perfectly centered. Still might rub during a max sprint, around corners, and when very hot after long downhills. When i say rub I mean a light graze, if it's rubbing enough to slow down the wheel something is wrong.

mzlewis

by mzlewis

Cheers, Really mr2scott? I've got a few cyclo cross bikes with discs and mtbs and once I've aligned everything up it never rubs. apart from cycling through some mud etc but then they clear quite clear. i was talking to a mechanic and he was mentioning that some bikes are more prone than others to disc rub due to flexy forks and I was wondering if the aeroad is like this. Cheers, Matt

Dan112

by Dan112

I had this issue on a cube attain GTC. Since swapping to a TCR advanced pro disc I've never had rub (using the same wheels, rotors, brakes and pads) I think it just comes down to how stiff the fork is. Like you I'd get rub when out the saddle and going hard.

The TCR has been brilliant though if anything I ride it harder and still no rub. My LBS said its because they use more carbon and less resin. Frames / forks that use more resin in the fibres tend to flex more

calpartz

by calpartz

mzlewis wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:56 am

Thanks,

Matt
I can now confirm that after I adjusted the rotor of the disc brake I have no "rub-issue" anymore when out of sattle or sprinting! The brake is always silent.

Dan1899

by Dan1899

What adjustments to the brake did you have to make? Running into the same thing on my 2019 Aeroad.

calpartz

by calpartz

Dan1899 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 8:11 am
What adjustments to the brake did you have to make? Running into the same thing on my 2019 Aeroad.
I can confirm that (at the moment) the brake rub is definitely gone.

I just adjusted the disc brake caliper (and otherwise I used a bit more grease for the axle but this counts nothing...). Before I had the brake rub only "out of the sattle" or "sprinting", now this is gone.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com